Jury Duty and CF

static

Recently a family member got arrested so I started searching around websites for warrant look-ups and found that my name pop'd up. The only thing I can think of is missing a Jury Summons, and I guess it would make sense since my last summons was over seven years ago.

I was going to go to the Courthouse to support my family member but now with this hanging over my shoulder it probably isn't a good idea. If my doctor writes me a note saying I was sick (which I probably was) would it get me out of any fines that may have accumulated? How does everyone else deal with Jury Summons and CF?

Oboe

Did the website not list what the accusations are? Maybe look around a little more. My state has a database that lists all that stuff and you can search by name and birthday and also lists in what county it's active. As a citizen you have a right to know of what you're accused. So be sure it's accurate and not some scam site.

You can get out of jury duty pretty easily with a note. I've done it twice and I'm pretty sure they've just permanently excused me from service. 7 years after the fact, though? I'm surprised that hasn't come up at some point considering that's a long time to go without having to deal with the government bureaucracy in some form. As for waiving any fees that may have accumulated, good luck.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I'd recommend you follow up on this because if there truly is a warrant out for your arrest, if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, the cop after taking your license immediately runs your name and you could end up being arrested and if on a weekend might have an unpleasant few days in jail. CF will easily provide cause to be excused from jury duty, but you can't just ignore a jury summons. (I was summons shortly after DS's birth and diagnosis and a letter sent with the form was enough--didn't need anything from the doctor.) You might consider having an attorney look into it so that it is resolved without you physically being arrested. You could contact a local law school's "legal aid" clinic for free help or the bar association in your state might have a similar pro bono group that could help for free.

static

Thank you.

Looking back it was probably one of those scam sites that just want to take your money. Just in case I'll follow up though