Just Curious

kswitch

i think free will is a bit of a phantom. every decision that we make is predetermined by our experiences, culture, etc. we are aware of the decisions we make, but they are guided by our past. sure we have the power to change our environments, effectively changing the predeterimining factors of future choices, but even this choice requires some chain of events to lead us to a realization of need or the power to exercise any change.

kswitch

i think free will is a bit of a phantom. every decision that we make is predetermined by our experiences, culture, etc. we are aware of the decisions we make, but they are guided by our past. sure we have the power to change our environments, effectively changing the predeterimining factors of future choices, but even this choice requires some chain of events to lead us to a realization of need or the power to exercise any change.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

Pete

Everyone should have the right to voice opinion, facts and ideas on religion without fear of retribution. Whether they be Christian, Muslim, Agnostic, Pagan, Atheist or *cough cough Scientologist cough* (how THAT got classed a religion, the big guy above only knows) and, of course, everyone else. That opinion should be voiced genuinely and within consideration of others feelings, ABSOLUTELY. Some things you just shouldn't say in regards to all faiths. If you do you're highlighting your own ignorance and intollerance towards others, but same goes the other way. The internet is a medium that links people of ALL backgrounds, colours and creeds, and by taking part in this online communty (grand scheme) you SHOULD be aware that people do and will disagree with you and eachother and also throw alternative ideas around. Maybe if those things insult you, you should reconsider exposing yourself to it.

Or just harden up.

And finally. Please, everyone, if you're state doesn't endorse the screening of new borns for genetic disorders such as CF you should consider banding together with your family and friends and lobby the local governments for change in legislation in regards to SAVING LIVES!. How hard is an email to the state health representative?. A single email COULD make the difference in saving many lives. ;o)

Pete

Everyone should have the right to voice opinion, facts and ideas on religion without fear of retribution. Whether they be Christian, Muslim, Agnostic, Pagan, Atheist or *cough cough Scientologist cough* (how THAT got classed a religion, the big guy above only knows) and, of course, everyone else. That opinion should be voiced genuinely and within consideration of others feelings, ABSOLUTELY. Some things you just shouldn't say in regards to all faiths. If you do you're highlighting your own ignorance and intollerance towards others, but same goes the other way. The internet is a medium that links people of ALL backgrounds, colours and creeds, and by taking part in this online communty (grand scheme) you SHOULD be aware that people do and will disagree with you and eachother and also throw alternative ideas around. Maybe if those things insult you, you should reconsider exposing yourself to it.

Or just harden up.

And finally. Please, everyone, if you're state doesn't endorse the screening of new borns for genetic disorders such as CF you should consider banding together with your family and friends and lobby the local governments for change in legislation in regards to SAVING LIVES!. How hard is an email to the state health representative?. A single email COULD make the difference in saving many lives. ;o)

Pete

Or just harden up.

Pete

Or just harden up.

Pete

Or just harden up.

scabaskiblio

I am impressed with the variety of responses, mostly positive, I received from my initial post, and I am really excited by how many people expressed some philosophical interest in the topic of free will! You have no idea how depressing it is to consider these things in isolation (it sort of deflates the relevance of what you are doing when you think you are the only one who cares about it). I'm glad there are so many out there who want to continue the conversation. Also, I appreciate all the suggestions I received even if no one was able to specifically direct me anywhere.
In specific response to kswitch: i'd certainly like to im you except I don't have aim or msn (used to before I moved out of my parents' house), but I can pm you my email address if you're into writing emails (I'm an email junkie; a vestige of a love for letter writing).
Pete, I'm not sure if your brief polemic was directed at me or not, but again, I mean no offense, and really it is offense that I am explicitly making an attempt to avoid. I'm not looking to start arguments (which tend to shut down ideas and open up defenses) but rather to explore ideas in a non-hostile environment.
Anyway, I went to see Waiting for Godot last night (I've seen it once before about a year ago) and it really opened up again (especially with the repartee) the idea of the absurdity of God, or maybe I should unfocus that and just say the absurdity of reality. Has anyone seen/read Godot? What do you think?
v.

scabaskiblio

I am impressed with the variety of responses, mostly positive, I received from my initial post, and I am really excited by how many people expressed some philosophical interest in the topic of free will! You have no idea how depressing it is to consider these things in isolation (it sort of deflates the relevance of what you are doing when you think you are the only one who cares about it). I'm glad there are so many out there who want to continue the conversation. Also, I appreciate all the suggestions I received even if no one was able to specifically direct me anywhere.
In specific response to kswitch: i'd certainly like to im you except I don't have aim or msn (used to before I moved out of my parents' house), but I can pm you my email address if you're into writing emails (I'm an email junkie; a vestige of a love for letter writing).
Pete, I'm not sure if your brief polemic was directed at me or not, but again, I mean no offense, and really it is offense that I am explicitly making an attempt to avoid. I'm not looking to start arguments (which tend to shut down ideas and open up defenses) but rather to explore ideas in a non-hostile environment.
Anyway, I went to see Waiting for Godot last night (I've seen it once before about a year ago) and it really opened up again (especially with the repartee) the idea of the absurdity of God, or maybe I should unfocus that and just say the absurdity of reality. Has anyone seen/read Godot? What do you think?
v.

scabaskiblio

v.

scabaskiblio

v.

scabaskiblio

v.

sunkistdrinker

This is a rather interesting thread. Interesting because I havent been on this site in quite a while. But when I was about a year or so ago, I felt quite the opposite as the poster here. I felt as though most here were very pessimistic about CF (understandably) and thought the idea of a God who would allow us to have such a condition was absurd and must not exist.

I found myself trying to convince others of my own personal beliefs obviously to no avail, and was eventually kicked off the forum. My posts admittedly were a bit too contraversial and offensive to some, and believe it or not, it seemed as though those who were very religious were of the minority at that time. It's been quite awhile, so Im not familiar with the forum as much.

I do wish you all luck in finding common ground to discuss issues on whatever level you choose. I agree that it is very uncomfortable having beliefs and/or ideas in isolation.

sunkistdrinker

This is a rather interesting thread. Interesting because I havent been on this site in quite a while. But when I was about a year or so ago, I felt quite the opposite as the poster here. I felt as though most here were very pessimistic about CF (understandably) and thought the idea of a God who would allow us to have such a condition was absurd and must not exist.

I found myself trying to convince others of my own personal beliefs obviously to no avail, and was eventually kicked off the forum. My posts admittedly were a bit too contraversial and offensive to some, and believe it or not, it seemed as though those who were very religious were of the minority at that time. It's been quite awhile, so Im not familiar with the forum as much.

I do wish you all luck in finding common ground to discuss issues on whatever level you choose. I agree that it is very uncomfortable having beliefs and/or ideas in isolation.

sunkistdrinker

sunkistdrinker

sunkistdrinker