Just discover that my wife and I are carriers.

RAM123

Hi everyone. My wife and I just discovered that we both have a cystic fibrosis mutation. I have the g551d mutation and my wife has the 3849+10kbc mutation. We are currently 13 weeks pregnant and honestly feeling overwhelmed right now. We go in for a cvs on Monday and should have our results in about two weeks after the testing. I understand that we have a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with CF, but honestly right now I'm not feeling very lucky. I want to keep the baby no matter what. My wife is so terrified she doesn't know what to do. We've only been dealing with this new information for about three days and I suppose we are still in a little bit of shock.

What at would really help is some testimonials from the members of the board about what their day to day life is like. Be they parent, afflicted or any other I want to know how you're living with CF. From everything I've read and seen it looks like you can have.a full and happy life with CF and that we're lucky in e sense that my mutation has a very effective treatment.

I don't know, maybe I just wanted to write something.

K

kgfrompa

I have the 3849+10kbc I found out I had CF when I was 50 i take life one day at a time and try to stay positive and look at each day as the best day ever! I am sick but as the meds are getting better and the treatments are improving I am thinking we are making lead way I try and do any trials as we have gotten the medicines because someone before me has went and signed up for trials.And I try and beg for money so we can develop much more drugs.I was always a sick child and today that has not changed,But science has Wising you the best and prating for you This is my take.

aannddd

It will be okay

My husband and I were in your position 10 years ago. We waited until I was 26 weeks along to have an amnio. We were having our baby regardless, but wanted to be prepared. He turned out to be fine. Ironically, when we got pregnant with our 7 year old son, we went through preimplantation genetic diagnosis, so we would not have a child with CF. We were shocked when our son's newborn screening was positive for CF. We later found out there was an error with the genetic testing.

Fast forward 7 years and for the most part, our lives are pretty normal. Our 7 year old does anywhere from 1-3 hours of treatment a day (3 hours when he has an infection). He is a normal weight and height (although he eats a ton just to maintain a normal weight). He has been in the hospital twice, once for a lung infection and once for an intestinal issue related to the CF.

Our son, has a few more appointments then a typical kid and a cold will typically knock him down for 3-5 days of school, whereas our other son, won't miss any for the same thing.

This is all a part of our daily routine now. Our son is in little league and cub scouts. He has lots of friends and is well adjusted. He goes to sleepovers and to camp. The only noticeable difference between he and the other kids, is that he stops to take pills before he eats. BTW, it is very impressive to his 7 year old friends that he pops a bunch of pills in his month and swallows them.

Take it one day at a time. There is a 75% chance that your child is fine. If your baby does have CF, you will still have a baby who you love and will have a very fulfilling life. CF severity varies widely between people. The treatments for the disease have improved drastically.

Printer

Hi:

I am 74 years of age. I was a lifeguard on an Atlantic Ocean Beach for five years. I am college educated. I have been married 52 years. Regretfully, I have lost two younger siblings to cancer.

Best of luck to you both,
Bill

mamaScarlett

Hi everyone. My wife and I just discovered that we both have a cystic fibrosis mutation. I have the g551d mutation and my wife has the 3849+10kbc mutation. We are currently 13 weeks pregnant and honestly feeling overwhelmed right now. We go in for a cvs on Monday and should have our results in about two weeks after the testing. I understand that we have a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with CF, but honestly right now I'm not feeling very lucky. I want to keep the baby no matter what. My wife is so terrified she doesn't know what to do. We've only been dealing with this new information for about three days and I suppose we are still in a little bit of shock.

What at would really help is some testimonials from the members of the board about what their day to day life is like. Be they parent, afflicted or any other I want to know how you're living with CF. From everything I've read and seen it looks like you can have.a full and happy life with CF and that we're lucky in e sense that my mutation has a very effective treatment.

First off I am sorry about the news you just received. No doubt it causes tremendous stress on what should be a joyful time.
CF varies greatly person to person. Much of the outcome will depend on the work you put in, not only you as a parent but the individual as they get older. It will be a learning experience. Id suggest you become as educated as possible, in terms of what day to day life is a cfer and how much people with cf are able to accomplish.

For me personally, I was diagnosed at 2 years old. I am 31, married, have two beautiful children of my own, do part time volunteer work regularly, run my household, run half marathons....None of that came easy. Theres many highs and lows. But the highs are worth all the work.

Katie Low

Congratulations on having a baby! I am 25 and have CF and recently married. My husband was recently tested and luckily is not a carrier. If he was- every baby would be a coin toss as to whether or not they would have CF. I am extremely healthy, In grad school and work both a full time job and do part time marketing consulting. My life is full and happy. CF is a complicated disease that affects everyone so differently. My lungs are healthy, and I have never been held back by this diagnosis. Do things to de-stress!!! I hear pregnancy is stressful enough, go out for a date and get a massage. ;)

briarrose

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

It is scary. but you're actually in luck with having G551D as one of your mutations. If your child does have CF, once they're a little bit older, they will be able to take Kalydeco, which is a miracle drug. Right now, for CF, that mutations is basically akin to having won the lottery. For most people with G551D, taking Kalydeco (which is a pill), takes away most of the symptoms of CF. It does not "cure" CF, but it's the closest thing out there right now.

Just try to enjoy this time, and even with both of you having a mutation, you still only have a 25% chance of your child having CF.

liveitup

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! I'm 34, married, college graduate, have 2 adopted kids and am pregnant (22 weeks) with my 3rd. I've run a marathon, 1/2 marathon (time 1:38:00 - go me!!!! LOL), triathlons, and am super busy. I think I live a very full, normal life. I use exercise to stay healthy :), and I've never had a cf-related hospitalization. I have DDF508 and was dx'ed at 2 years

M

m.coteklein

Hi!

First, I would like to congratulate both of you on the pregnancy too! That's Awesome! So let's talk about these two mutations G551D and 3849+10KB>T. There are five categories of CF mutations: which means there are essentially five ways chloride does not get properly regulated in ones body (basis of CF). The mutations that you and your wife carry are class 3 and 5 respectively. In class 3 mutations (Gate Mutations), there is a error in chloride transportation (where the protein on the membrane surface is not open which disallows chloride diffusion) and in class 5 mutations (splice mutations) there is essentially just less chloride that makes it to where it needs to go. Why do you need to know this? Cf is all about chloride transportation into and out of cells (like the cells that line the lungs and organs that make up the digestive track), which in turn means the transfer of water into and out of cells (via osmosis). Since Cl can't get out of the cells, that means the H2O can't get out and as a result, the lining of the organs (where these cells reside) don't get coated with water to help things facilitate and move smoothly (whew). Now, back to these mutations; I'm sure you guys have heard of Kalydeco by now-this drug is known to "open the gates" of the G551D mutation to help facilitate chloride flow between cells. Patients with G551D have experienced better FEV1 values (measure of the lungs instantaneous health essentially). Which is a good thing! And I think it's still pending on it's effectiveness on 3849+10KBC>T... but, I have heard that some doctors do expect it to help with 3849+10KBC>T as well. I'm very sorry you guys have to go through all this stress :( And I wish I could say something that would wholly reassure you guys. CF is very unpredictable and no two people with the same mutation experience the same symptoms and troubles. But! Medicinal treatments for CF is really gaining steam and if your child is born with CF, which I dearly hope will not be the case, there is no reason for either one of you to think she will not be able to succeed at whatever she does. Keep us updated!

CFParent2

We were in a similar situation with our second child, but decided that the test which increases the chances of a miscarriage was not worth our peace of mind. When were were considering it, the increased chance of miscarriage was greater than now, but any increase would steer me away from this. It was rough not knowing, but we thought that the temporary uncertainty would be minimal compared to the guilt of a miscarriage that we had some responsibility for causing.

The hospital will be ready either way, and the effects of CF caused by G551D have been greatly reduced when treated with Kalydeco.

RAM123

Thank you all very much. Your replies have helped put us into a better mental state. My wife and I are lawyers, it hurts like hell to find a problem we can't work or think our way out of. One thing is for sure, we will be contributing our time and any funds we can to help find the cure.

Beccamom

I am 37 years old, happily married with two incredible biological children. I have two master's degrees and a job I love. I frequently travel all over the world. Having been diagnosed as an adult, knowing I have CF gives me a different perspective on things. Now I cherish the small things. I take time to listen to my daughter read at age 12 and don't let life's list of tasks take all of my time. I befriended my mother-in-law and have traveled around the world with my family and in-laws. My relationship with my children is better then ever. My day to day life has change with treatments and mucus clearance 2 to 3 times a day, but being forced to sit down and enjoy a book or post to help parents like you has made me slow down and enjoy life. Enjoy your baby and allow each other to grieve this information in your own way.

JustaCFmom

Hi.
My husband and I are both carriers, only we didn't know until 2 years ago, when my then 15 year old daughter got diagnosed. We were spared all this agonizing because there was no genetic screening for CF when we got married and had most of our family.

You really have a 75% chance that this child will be "normal". We have 7 non-CF children and 3 who got diagnosed (2 as a result of the 15 year old's diagnosis). We have one nasty gene and 3849+10KB>T, the "milder" gene. The kids had totally normal childhoods and next to no symptoms. I am so happy they got this diagnosis when they were young - and not as sickly adults looking for an answer. They get top medical care and they are healthier than many "normal" people!

I think
3849+10KB>T is associated with a functioning pancreas, so my kids don't need any digestive enzymes. Their heights and weights are totally normal. I wouldn't change them for the world! Your research should reassure you because your mutations are not so awful or as scary as the more typical CF genes. CF has quite a spectrum.

Good luck and try to just enjoy the excitement of becoming parents!
;)

mom24dodd

Carriers

I wish you both the best. I was tested as a non-carrier in pre-natal testing - so my husband was not tested. Come to find out - our Son was born with CF anyway. You never know what life will bring - all you can do is try to enjoy every moment. Our Son also later was diagnosed with Autism. Each one of these incurable diseases is very difficult to bear as a parent - but all we can do is try to show our child as much love as we possibly can. So far - for my son - the CF is really under control - he is going to be 9 years old - no major lung issues - and the enzymes totally control his digestive issues. He is basically a pretty happy kid-and because of the Autism - does not know he has Autism or CF - so - he just ...lives....
here are so many great examples of people living full lives with CF - please - if you can - check out the story of Boomer Esaison's son Gunnar - on HBO's Real Sports. To me - that story was very inspiring.
Our Day-to-day life - son gets up in the morning - first thing we do is vest and nebulizer treatments - gets that over with. When he was a baby (6 months to one year) I would have to put him on top of a large upholstered ottoman and do the chest percussion by hand - something I thought I would never get through - but I did. Then when I started the nebulizer treatments for him as a baby - that was another thing I thought I would never get through - but I did.
Now - all is like second nature to me. We do treatment in the morning - then I feed him non-enzyme needing meal - like a plain bagel and juice. Send him off to school - nurse gives him his enzymes for lunch. He gets home from school and does another vest (chest percussion) and nebulizer treatment. Then we go about our day (behavior thereapists come in for the Autism)- have dinner (enzymes)- get showered - then another CF treatment right before bed (sometimes he falls asleep on that). I would say the only thing that really gives us a problem is going on vacation - because for me - to stay in a regular hotel - it's not good enough - we "need/like to" stay in a place with a full kitchen so I can sterilize the neubulizers in a big pot of boiling water on top of the stove. But even that is not such a big deal anymore since we put an above ground pool in our backyard - he loves that so we really do not even need to go anywhere for vacation.
No matter what is in store for you - you can handle it. It's work - but so is just being a parent to a kid with no diseases so - please - don't be afraid...you can do it!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I just wanted to add that as lawyers (I'm one), you'll likely find the research will help with the stress. And especially since you have something good to research because you are "lucky" CF carriers, as the poster above noted. Kalydeco fixes the defect in g551 making the cftr function to 50%. You and your wife have likely 90% cftr function since you're carriers. Well, Kalydeco will be approved for 2 year olds by the time your precious baby is 2. AND it likely will work on both mutations getting him or her above 50% function. And the company that makes Kalydeco (Vertex) is currently studying Kalydeco with another drug called VX661, which it thinks will get the function even higher. So basically, by the time your daughter or son is 5, she might have completely function cftr (or as good as you and your wife). And for those who have g551 and are in there 30-40s Kalydeco has completely changed their lives. Your child would be starting life with this medicine!!!I also agree with the above post about the risk of miscarriage not being worth it. You can do an ultrasound later to assure no GI issues awaiting, but for me it wouldn't be worth the chance. Best of luck.

RAM123

Hi all. We went to the doctor today for genetic counseling and the cvs. First, I can't express how disappointing the genetic counseling was. We were sat in front of a computer and literally had a videophone conference with a woman from god knows where. She didn't seem to know anything beyond the 25% chance of the baby having it. When we mentioned our specific mutations she didn't have anything to tell us. She literally held up an ipad with the cfgeenE app running and told us we could find out more there. I understood that she wouldn't have any real answers but it just seemed like she just picked up the file and set in front of us without even looking at it.

After that we went for the cvs, it was pretty simple and didn't take that long. The doctor told us that he preformed the same procedure on his wife twice and that the miscarriage rate is more like 1 in 2000-2500 and it's hard to be sure that the cvs was even the cause of any miscarriage. He said he got a good sample and told us that it should be about two weeks. Two very long weeks in my opinion but at least we should know something after that.

Printer

There are more than 1800 mutations any 2 will cause CF. 1800 X 1800 = 3,240,000 possible combinations, therefore that many strains of CF. Together with this, there have been multiple cases of identical twins each having the same mutations and the same treatments, having different symptoms of CF.

Nobody can predict how your combination of genes will work out.

Bill

A

Allansarmy

Hello there,
Sorry for the long thread. I was going to give you a quick testimonial but it turned into something bigger I guess I wanted to share with you. My wife and I have a 17 year old young man with CF DDF508 mutation. We discovered his CF at age of 4 months. I have been where you are before but more without the knowing. My son has a younger brother that is 14 months younger, we were offered the Amniocentesis with him but declined. We were determined to take on anything whether ill or healthy. My wife and I both decided after our last son was born that a tubal ligation was definitely in order as we didn’t want to take another risk. I am pleased to say that my youngest who is 16 now does not have CF. We tested him at 2 months old.

My son Allan’s daily routine: He does 2 sets of breathing treatments daily. He does Albuterol and Plumozyme nebulized twice daily. He takes 4 pills of Zenpep (Pancreatic enzyme) to help him digest his food, 3 with snacks. We had a G-tube put into his stomach at age of 9 years old as he was not gaining weight. He also wears a Vest that he uses twice daily for about 20 minutes at a time to help with airway clearance. He started actually swallowing the enzyme capsules around age 4, which was a blessing because it was a bit of a hassle trying to put the capsule tiny beads in food, which sometimes he did not eat all of it. Heck he was able to swallow sometimes 7 pills at once, 4 enzymes and the rest vitamins etc. just to show off ;)

Now with all of that said, most parents immediate response is “Oh I am so sorry your son has to do all of that”, or “Oh I am so sorry for you” my response is “Why?” but I say it kindly. My son can eat just like anyone else; he just needs extra calories at night. Heck there is some nights he doesn’t do feedings sometimes for days at a time. He had a perfectly normal childhood growing up. The only hiccup was once in middle school where we asked the coach to allow him to change his gym clothes in another room and we explained our situation with the G-button. The coach agreed that some kids do tease a lot (unfortunately this is the world we live in) so my son did feel a little self conscious about it, but otherwise he still went to water parks and pools etc. Also the biggest hiccup was in high school. The teachers in 10[SUP]th[/SUP] grade were non supportive sadly with my son’s condition. They refused to allow him to go to the restroom and he coughed a lot the first 3 periods. This caused a big disruption in the class and he was put in the hall almost daily and the teachers would forget about him. Needless to say I was pretty mad at the whole affair but in the end, it would do no good to sue the school or force the teachers hand when my own son just wanted to do home schooling. So that’s what we did, he does modules at home and my wife and I both work jobs. When he has problems we help him out at night. He will graduate this year and we will see what the next step in life is.

Just remember, just because your child may or may not have CF it’s not a death sentence anymore. It does not put him in a category where it shortens his life span to under 40 anymore. They have made extreme progress and there are new medications coming out as mentioned above called Kalydeco. This new drug is one of the biggest and greatest news we could hope for. So coming from a dad I can tell you that you are making the right decision with keeping your child regardless of the results of the Amniocentesis. I do not know what my household would be like without my son Allan. He brings so much joy and hope to everyone around him. He is passionate about a lot of things and he is one of my best friends. Ok I am stopping now, tearing up.

EDIT: One small edit that I wanted to share. I am praying for you that your son/daughter does not have this disease, but if your child does, you are not alone. Don't feel like you are always going to have to do everything yourself. I use to feel that way, like I had all of this weight on my shoulders and a heavy heart. But once again my son is 17 now. He has been preparing his medications with the nebulizers since he was 8 years old. He takes his meds by himself, he does his nebs, he does his vest, he prepares his tube feedings at night, everything all on his own. I do have to encourage him every now and then, more like a nudge to get him to do some things. One last thing is, don't ever feel like you can't ask for help. My wife and I were both proud people (still are to some degree) but we always felt like we had to do this on our own. My brothers and sisters had no idea what our life was like until I shared it with them. Then I felt stupid because they could have helped at the beginning giving my wife and I a break every now and then. Hang in there, you will get through this. God never gives us more than we can bear.

PACmommy

Our daughter Ainsley was diagnosed at the age of 2. I'm glad we decided not to do any screening because I wouldn't change my family for the world. She is an amazing, beautiful girl of 10 now, she plays piano and soccer. She's beautiful smart, and extremely stubborn. I do have a funny story.
Shortly after the diagnosis I ran in to another mom at the local splash pad from a play group I used to attend and I had told her of our new diagnosis and life changes. The mother stated to me that she was glad she had done genetic testing cause she would have gotten rid of "that" cause it's just too much work for her. I was shocked and didnt have a response at that time, largely due to my own feelings of guilt. I strolled over to my husband who was watching all three of our children laughing and frollicking in the water, I relayed to him the conversation that had just occured. He asked me to point her out which I did, my husband immediately recoiled and stated that he was glad her testing didn't include the ugly gene because none of hers would have made it through. At the time I snickered and said "that's not nice" but after thinking about it he had a point.
We can screen for this and that, but who's to say that a CF result is the worst its gonna be? Sure, some things about this disease sucks the bag hard, we would rather see our children not have to struggle. But we can't screen our children into perfection. We can't make them all the prettiest, smartest and most successful. We can't screen away for clumsiness, stupid decision making and bad judgement. And whose to say that if you come through the screening process with a perfectly healthy little fetus that their life is going to be free from pain anyways?
CF has actually made me reflect on what I define as success and happiness, and I beleive it's created wiser, more compassionate and resilient children in my family. Like I said earlier, if given the chance now whether to have Ainsley in my life with cf or have no beautiful, intelligent hard headed little Ainsley, I wouldn't change this family for the world.

aannddd

It is ironic that you were a lifeguard and have done so well. When our son was born, his cf specialist said if it was my kid, I would pick-up and move to the ocean. All my patients who live at the ocean do better. Our house was on the marker 2 weeks later.