karate

buggygurl321

anyone do it? anyone like it? I'm a red belt in kenpo karate at Americas best defense. I love it, and the cool moves and weapons.

katie

buggygurl321

anyone do it? anyone like it? I'm a red belt in kenpo karate at Americas best defense. I love it, and the cool moves and weapons.

katie

65rosessamurai

Oops! maybe a little slow on the reply, but I'll add mine, anyway (cause I like this subject!)
I recommend Karate (or any martial art) for anyone with CF. Not only does it increase the PFT's, it also gives good excercise for the body, increases the metabolism for digestion, and (if it involves a lot of break falls) natural P.D. (Postural Drainage) to knock that stuff out of the lungs!! (also gives more self confidence when up against those bullies who tease you about your CF related "oddities"! e.g. always eating!)
So, tell me more about it, Katie, and yourself, how old are you, when were you diagnosed, where do you live..blah, blah blah!! (what weapons are you learning??)
I live in Japan, but the most I learned for weapons was the bo and sword. I learned the bo in Aikido, but am a 4th dan in Iaido, which is an art of Japanese Swordsmanship.
Unfortunately, due to unoforseen circumstances, I had to quit my Aikido and have had trouble getting back into Iaido lately.
Before coming to Japan, I had studied TaeKwonDo, Judo, and started learning Aikido (actually, Aikido was off and on) and Iaido. My highest rank was 1st Dan (accomplished in about 3 years) in TaeKwonDo, but my longest was in Judo (seven years and never saw a black belt!).
I started in the martial arts at 18, and am now 40. After I graduated from High School, I had a concern about how my health would be in the future, and I got interested after watching Chuck Norris movies, and all those Kung Fu movies on late Saturday night T.V.! (also was influenced by a CF camp counseler who didn't have CF, but suggested trying Karate!)
hope to hear from you!
Fred

65rosessamurai

Oops! maybe a little slow on the reply, but I'll add mine, anyway (cause I like this subject!)
I recommend Karate (or any martial art) for anyone with CF. Not only does it increase the PFT's, it also gives good excercise for the body, increases the metabolism for digestion, and (if it involves a lot of break falls) natural P.D. (Postural Drainage) to knock that stuff out of the lungs!! (also gives more self confidence when up against those bullies who tease you about your CF related "oddities"! e.g. always eating!)
So, tell me more about it, Katie, and yourself, how old are you, when were you diagnosed, where do you live..blah, blah blah!! (what weapons are you learning??)
I live in Japan, but the most I learned for weapons was the bo and sword. I learned the bo in Aikido, but am a 4th dan in Iaido, which is an art of Japanese Swordsmanship.
Unfortunately, due to unoforseen circumstances, I had to quit my Aikido and have had trouble getting back into Iaido lately.
Before coming to Japan, I had studied TaeKwonDo, Judo, and started learning Aikido (actually, Aikido was off and on) and Iaido. My highest rank was 1st Dan (accomplished in about 3 years) in TaeKwonDo, but my longest was in Judo (seven years and never saw a black belt!).
I started in the martial arts at 18, and am now 40. After I graduated from High School, I had a concern about how my health would be in the future, and I got interested after watching Chuck Norris movies, and all those Kung Fu movies on late Saturday night T.V.! (also was influenced by a CF camp counseler who didn't have CF, but suggested trying Karate!)
hope to hear from you!
Fred

buggygurl321

I'm 15, I was diagnosed at age 9, and I live in Massachusetts. I have learned the bostaff, nunchuks, and commas. My fave is probably bostaff, but they are all really cool.
I started doing karate two years ago with my little sisters, when I was on prednisone (yuck!!!!). Neither of my sisters have CF, just me.

Sorry that you can't do Aikido right now. I just read your other thread about alternate exercises and saw about the shoulder injury. ouch.

Katie

buggygurl321

I'm 15, I was diagnosed at age 9, and I live in Massachusetts. I have learned the bostaff, nunchuks, and commas. My fave is probably bostaff, but they are all really cool.
I started doing karate two years ago with my little sisters, when I was on prednisone (yuck!!!!). Neither of my sisters have CF, just me.

Sorry that you can't do Aikido right now. I just read your other thread about alternate exercises and saw about the shoulder injury. ouch.

Katie