Kicked out of school for being a CF carrier???

Sdavis - yeah, I know. I was sharing it because when I read it I was infuriated that this writer had taken the topic and somehow twisted it, barely, to score political points. It was nuts.

sdavis227

Steve- that makes much more sense. Thank you for clarifying. I was angered as well how someone twisted it politically. I am so ready for elections to be over :)

albino15

What is this stuff about a CF "marker" I've never heard of that. If he's a carrier then the school is wrong, if he has CF then the school (although maybe overreacting) is right. If he has two mutations and everyone is saying it's no big deal because he's not symptomatic, that's screwed up too because there are plenty of people who have CF and are super healthy for a long time. I just think he's probably a carrier and everyone (even the parents because they wrote it on the form) are misinformed and probably using the wrong terminology.

Printer

albino15:

Love your post. I'm curious tho. Where did he have the sweat test done, CF Clinic or local hospital. How did they determine that he is a carrier? One mutation? Where was he screened and for how many mutations were included in the screening?

I don't want to be misinformed or be using the wrong terminology. Help me please.

Bill

dream2live

I didn't watch the whole video, but I hope the school board was sued by the ADA. This is ridiculous and something I would like to share on FB

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I think it is a huge over reaction by the school. There is no way to limit a school to one person (or siblings) with CF. What would have happened if the school they wanted to transfer him to already had someone with CF? (This is assuming he does have CF and not just a carrier.)

You can keep them away from each other. If they are in different grades it would be much easier, but even if they are the same grade just don't assign them the same teacher. Schools often have different lunch/recess schedules; assign them different breaks. If the parents agree (and I think most parents would) just let the kids know who the other "CFers" are and tell the to remain apart. The parents may even choose to share bacteria culture information. And then teach your child proper hygiene; washing your hands regularly and keeping them out of your mouth/face, that would help the child more in the long run.

And yes, if a parent is still concerned give them the opportunity to transfer schools or pull the child out and home school. But the school should not be moving kids out of school if the parents are against it.

G

gunelle

I am one of those with a negative sweat test. Have had two done, one borderline and one negative. Have had the genetic testing done, and am positive for two mutations- d508 and r117c. I was diagnosed at 32, four years ago... I have a mild cf so far... But I am a CFer.

E

Edwena226

Hi gunelle! My 3 month old daughter was just diagnosed with same mutations. One borderline sweat test and one negative as well. No symptoms so far. Can you give me some insight on how you've been? Do you have 5t or 7t/9t? Thanks in advance!

leecee

I asked my daughters new school when we moved here if they had any other CF students. They did not, but from what I have read, you make sure they don't have the same classes. How long do pseudonomas linger around anyway that one cfer can give to another?