Levaquin Experiences

T

TonyaH

Hi all,
I came to this site today looking for info on levaquin and, coincidentally, found a thread that was just started I think yesterday about the same medication. I will read that thread more thoroughly, however, my question is a bit different. So, rather than take over the other poster's topic, I will start my own. :)

My son (16) was put on levaquin on Tuesday in combination with four other antibiotics he is on for m. abscessus. He has started another exacerbation and I think his doctor added this new med in just to cover her bases until she sees him on the 19th.

He did fine on it for the first few days, but today he has started acting REALLY strange...confused, mumbling, not making any sense, staring through us intead of making eye contact, and acting as if everything is a conspiracy...really seems to be going through some kind of strange psychotic episode. It is scaring the heck out of me and I have to wonder if it's the levaquin, as when I googled the side affects the list of psychiatrics side affects is much lengthier than what I read on the sheet from our pharmacy. Can anyone share a similar experience they may have had on this med? If so, how long did it last? (I will not be giving it to him again, as I'm almost positive it is the culprit) When you were in this state, was there anything a family member or friend could have done to help you through it? He is currently in his bedroom not wanting anyone around him....yet, I'm afraid to leave him alone too long as I don't want him to feel isolated. Any help? Thanks in advance if you can share.

RockyLass

Hi TonyaH,

This definitely sounds like Lequin side effects and if I were I would take him off it immediately and talk to your doctor asap. This stuff has damaged peoples body and brains permanently and the FDA and pharmacist giants don't want to talk about it, but the literature is out there. This drug has SIDE EFFECTS and they are REAL. People have sued and have claimed being 'FLOXED'. It is close to being withdrawn , but I assume because of rampant antibiotic resistance, big bosses don't know what to do.

I myself experience weird physiological symptoms on this drug, a depression type feeling, and I don't me to scare you- but at one point suicide feelings. This stuff is scary and that was not like me one bit! Normally i'm very happy upbeat person.

I would start this drug and it would ruin my ability to sleep, poor 'sleep' for 4 hours and would jolt from my somnolence from nightmares, at one point I swore I saw spider's on the wall. As well at my joints would crack BADLY. The other florquinolones, all of which I get rashes from and now totally allergic. It took me 2 weeks for me to feel normal again and haven't touched these Levaquin in 8 years and will not again.

Shame on CF doctors recommending this stuff or at least not warning us PROPERLY, if you feel weird or bones cracking stop and call us. And I might add we are already at risk for joint problems, why add to more damage?!

mamaScarlett

No mental symptoms, but I did sprain my ankle while on Levaquin, and it was from a very minor bang-nothing worthy of causing a hairline fracture. That was a red flag of concern.
If your son is having symptoms like that, such severe mental confusion, I'd obviously take him off but tell the doctor immediately. A brief hospital stay with observation may be WISE. You cannot play around with affects that extreme.
Take care

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Wow Tonya, that is so scary. I hope by now the doctor has taken him off and his behavior is improving.
My boys never had any of these symptoms so I can't comment from experience, but I'm thinking of you.

P

Patti Rowland

Hi all,
I came to this site today looking for info on levaquin and, coincidentally, found a thread that was just started I think yesterday about the same medication. I will read that thread more thoroughly, however, my question is a bit different. So, rather than take over the other poster's topic, I will start my own. :)

My son (16) was put on levaquin on Tuesday in combination with four other antibiotics he is on for m. abscessus. He has started another exacerbation and I think his doctor added this new med in just to cover her bases until she sees him on the 19th.

He did fine on it for the first few days, but today he has started acting REALLY strange...confused, mumbling, not making any sense, staring through us intead of making eye contact, and acting as if everything is a conspiracy...really seems to be going through some kind of strange psychotic episode. It is scaring the heck out of me and I have to wonder if it's the levaquin, as when I googled the side affects the list of psychiatrics side affects is much lengthier than what I read on the sheet from our pharmacy. Can anyone share a similar experience they may have had on this med? If so, how long did it last? (I will not be giving it to him again, as I'm almost positive it is the culprit) When you were in this state, was there anything a family member or friend could have done to help you through it? He is currently in his bedroom not wanting anyone around him....yet, I'm afraid to leave him alone too long as I don't want him to feel isolated. Any help? Thanks in advance if you can share.
I am so sorry - that sounds very scary. I am wondering why 4 different antibiotics? My daughter tested positive for this same thing and they put her on one antibiotic the cultures showed it was sensitive to and she had to take it daily about a year but it has never shown up in a culture again. The doctor won't get him in to see him till the 19th?? I would throw a fit.....I have heard previously stories about Levaquin - specifically how it blew out someones achilles - so my doctor would have to convince us it was absolutely necessary before we would even consider it. I would insist the doctor see him immediately!

W

windex125

I took it a few times then one day broke out with hives all over my body. Have not used it since. But I was told it is in the same family as Cipro and I have never had any bad results with that drug. But I wld stop it immediately. Don't even wait for the doctor to get back to you. Then when they do you tell them why. Pat-59/CF

T

TonyaH

Thanks, all...
Today he is lucid, but just very quiet and 'mad at the world'... I have spoken with clinic and they agreed to stop the med, although they insist this is the first they have heard of this kind of reaction. Patti, m. abscessus is commonly treated with no less than three antibiotics, but A's is proving difficult to control so we work with NIH in Bethesda on treatment plans. That is the reason for four m. abscessus antibiotics. Rocky...I have been very concerned by all I've read in the past 24 hours regarding all floroquinolones. Now I'm thinking back to all the times he has been on cipro...this is definitely not a class of drugs I will allow him to use again without exhausting all other options.

Simba15

IMO this drug should be used with extreme caution. It is a black box drug and IMO should only be given as a last resort for pneumonia and other resistant bacteria, in a hospital setting. This drug does a serious number on the joints and you can end up with severe joint problems. I needed a knee replacement because of levaquin!! While on it for a sinus infection (it should never be prescribed for something this "simple") it caused me severe joint pain. The pain was so bad I thought I had degenerative arthritis. After seeing 3 doctors they put 2 and 2 together with the levaquin and I stopped it. But the side affects take weeks to get out of your system. In 2 days my meniscus completely shattered (in pieces) in my knee and I needed a knee replacement.

Hi all,

imported_Momto2

I have personally experienced mental changes (not permanant, thankfully!) from taking levaquin and cipro. Is your son on theophilline? I believe these drugs have synergistic effects, can make the theophilline toxic. I used to get cardiac arrythmias from that combo unless I cut my theophilline in half. Like many others, have experienced joint pain and "easy" injury while on it.

T

TonyaH

Thanks everyone,
We stopped the levaquin immediately and he seems to have come out of the fog he was in....although very irritated every time I try to talk to him about the confusion he was experiencing.... I think we'll stay away from levaquin!