lip cuts

kmhbeauty

Does the corner of your mouth where the edge of your lips are split like a paper cut? I sure most would think that "oh my lips are so dry and then I opened my mouth too wide, and it split" but I know it has to do with CF and possible yeast infections. It stings when you eat something spicy or sour. Its all around horrible and looks horrible. Cold sore creams seem to help like abriva. Anyone with knowledge on this and why it keeps happening to me. It is driving me nuts. I know its my body's way of saying something is wrong.

nmw0615

I had this happen a lot, but taking zinc has helped tremendously. I really wish I could remember why, but I started taking it when I was 11 and that was 12 years ago, haha.

kmhbeauty

Im gonna buy some zinc tomorrow. I don't know if it has to do with MAC or Staph or some other infection that I have. I don't get it at all. I had it all the time in 8th grade, 28 now. It stopped and now its back, full force. Just when it heals, it comes back a week later.

amber682

ugh. This happens to my DS (8) all the time. I have read that it can be caused from yeast. I personally believe its from the inhalers, because I know they can cause thrush. It just keeps coming back over and over. It will clear for months and then come back. We have tried medicated chapstick, Neosporin, bacitracin, hydrocortizone, petroleum jelly. I brought it up with his doctor and she said just keep Vaseline on it because its dry but I plan to talk to her about it next week at our appt. because I don't think that's it. I wonder if you can get a doctor to give you a script for diflucan for yeast infections and see if it clears up?

W

welshwitch

Do you take CF ADEK vitamins? They really help my body with little "off" things like this. Make my nails stronger, skin better and hair shinier. I'd really recommend them for overall maintenance.

J

jennywotherspoon

Hi there, my daughter has had these too. Zinc is a great idea for boosting the immune system so that they can heal. Fungal(yeast) infection can be the problem and that is why they do not respond to moisturizing lip balms etc and just keep reopening and continuing to be a problem. The magic cure for us was Goldenseal ointment. Goldenseal is a powerful herbal anti fungal and the ointment applied into the corners of the mouth has cleared it up completely for my daughter.
Best of luck
Jenny

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Yeast or candida is a good suspect. There is a prescription mouthwash that works great. Nystatin, oral medication is often prescribed for thrush, an overgrowth of candida on the tongue and ora mucosa. If it's attacking the lips, its all over the mouth too. Lips like toes are always almost wet or almost dry and both make wonderful homes for skin yeast infections.

If by chance it doesn't respond to just nystatin the infection may be chronic herpes simplex. Usually fever sores show in the corners or cleft of the lip, split right across at the middle of one or both lips. Zovirax is the only effective antiviral drug and it comes as ointment, or in pill/IV. If Abriva helps, it may be to the drying action of the medicine although, it is a top OTC fever sore ointment. This could point further at herpes simplex that over 80% of people harbor. Zovirax ointment will be soothing and a viral infection like this will substantially improve within 7 days. The zinc and such may be a cure, the supplement L-Lysine is a must for anyone fighting viral infections, and it is a well tested adjunct medicine taken with any form of Zovirax.

Excepting the potential of having both fungal and viral infection together, don't count out a staph infection, maybe a lousy S.a.. All sorts of antimicrobial ointments like Bacitracin can treat the most resistant bacteria. This will tell you if the infection is bacterial. A recent inability to breathe due to a head infection can dry the mouth and lips especially during sleep. Good old petroleum jelly to the rescue. I can't stand it anywhere except between me and my bicycle seat so I smear coconut oil on my dry lips.

Honestly, don't allow split lips to go untreated. Neglecting a skin split often ends in surgery, not the most enjoyable experience on or in the lips and mouth. I had surgery on my lip corners twice as a kid. Apparently, I used to drool in my sleep.

Here's hoping you find an answer soon.

LL

kmhbeauty

Thank you everyone who responded. I have a doctor apt coming up and I'm going to ask him about everything you recommended. After doing some more research, I'm convinced it's thrush. I get them around the month with a yeast infection. Now that I know what is wrong, I want to know why is my body doing this. Is it the pre diabetes getting worse. Maybe it's full blown diabetes now. I know it's caused by candida, but why is it happening. Ugh, Cf is horrible. It's always something. If I'm not having polyp surgery, kidney stones, coughing up blood, yeast infections, MAC, staph, blood sugar always off. How can one disease cause so many dang problems? I wonder what it is like to be normal....

kmhbeauty

I spoke to my doctor today. He said his patients have had good luck with vitamin B3 and vitamin B6 to treat the lip slits.

LouLou

I would recommend you get a prescription for nystatin lozenges. This is a typical thing to have happen after a course of antibiotics because the good flora is gone, and bad (including too much yeast) is at work in your body. Additionally, you will want to start a probiotic. I would recommend Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra. Make sure to get the Ultra because it has an extra bacteria in there that is being isolated and soon to be sold by the pharma industry bc it is that good all by itself. Sadly with the amount of antibiotics we have had we will never have gut flora of someone who hasn't been on antibiotics (well unless we had a fecal transplant - google that one!). By the way, if anyone ever gets c-diff fecal transplant is the way to go (still only done at some hospitals though but the results are amazing!). When I was pre-diabetic (I am now in very normal ranges) I had near constant v-a-g-i-n-a-l tchiness. By lowering my blood glucose I am now healthier in so many ways. I feel too when we are diabetic or pre we gain visceral fat (nasty stuff) and now that my body is runnning healthier I gain lean muscle. I don't want to highjack the thread - pm me for more info.