Living with CF

This may sound like a stupid question, and if it is, I'm sorry. Up until the past year, I've always been rather "healthy"...all things considered, I guess you could say...so I'm literally having to learn how to live with CF in some ways.

I get the crud from time to time ESPECIALLY during this time of year, as does everyone else, and it likes to stick around and get worse sometimes. I'm on an oral antibiotic and my lung function as of last month was 69%. It's usually in the upper 70s to 80s. I'm trying to get it back and I'm finding that it's a rather slow process. My question is: how do you know if your problem is really that you are sick, or is it just reduced lung function which will take time to get back? I don't feel sick, I just have issues with breathing. I have obsessed over it so much that I'm not real sure what I am anymore (pitiful, I know). I'm trying to stick to my exercise every day and trying to realize that I WILL have bad days and not let it get me down.

I go back to the doctor on the 5th and his answer to absolutely any problem is IV antibiotics. My argument is that this time of year is always a bad time for me and I feel it's my own fault for not consistently exercising like I should have been and I guess I'm stubborn in that I feel pushing forward is doable without a hospital visit, especially since I feel fine.

Just looking for a little feedback.

Thanks!

MichaelL

I don't think this is a stupid question at all. In fact, I don't think it's always easy to tell what's causing your symptoms. For example, whenever I get a cold, my lungs end up filled with mucous that takes weeks to work out. After the cold is over, I would not consider myself sick, but it will take some time to get back to feeling better. I try to do cardio as often as I can and find this really helps me get stuff up from my lungs.

I also have an asthmatic component to my CF. I take Advair and Pulmicort to help with this. My doctor recently had me increase my Pulmicort and I found myself coughing less and not feeling as short of breath.

If you're seeing improvement by your doctor appointment, even if you're not fully recovered, I would explain this to the doctor.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Keep up with the exercise and your lung clearance.