Looking for input on a home spirometry device

DanfromIL

Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing a home spirometry device so that I can check my lung capacity between clinic visits. I am wondering if anyone else has already done this. Would like some suggestions on what brand and model to choose and whether you thought it was helpful. I found one on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282212033906?rmvSB=true

It is new and costs less than $200. Let me know if you have any experience in this area. Thanks.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We purchased this for our son when he was 5. http://www.nddmed.com/index/easyone-plus The diagnostic version. Several reasons: It is the one our clinic uses off-site for testing. It is self-calibrating. It uses disposable mouthpieces. It tells you if you did the test correct. It has helped immensely for us especially with our son's first cold when I could tell how bad it had hit his lungs. He went from 100+% to 50-60% and then once home we were able to do and see he was back above 100% as opposed to waiting for 2 months to go back to clinic. It is very pricey but given his age of 5 we figured it would last a good 20 years and thus not much per year in cost. fwiw

DanfromIL

Thanks, Aboveallislove. Looks like I have to call the company to find out what the price is. If you happen to see this and don't mind telling me how much it cost you, that would be great. - Dan

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I want to say it was around $1200-1400 but it was several years ago so I can't remember well. But I want to just say what a good investment! After our son's first IV treatment I was able to test him throughout. When sick he was at 50%
, before we left hospital about 70%, then up to 100% and then today he near his high of 111%. It was so great to be able to see how "bad" he was to \know hospitalization made sense AND \know he is "bac\k to normal." And because it is so reliable I don't have to worry.

stylecomfy

I have a Microlife portable spirometer that measures Peak Flow and FEV1, it runs on batteries and fits in my hand so I use it at home and on trips to keep tabs on my lung function. I have been very happy with it, and according to my experiments it is accurate if compared to the one at my doctor's office. It doesn't measure all the other ranges, however FEV1 is a key one to know, and Peak Flow is a good indication of lung tightness (the asthma component). It is currently under $50 on Amazon. My only complaint is that it can only sync the data to my computer with a usb...it is not bluetooth as some of the newer type of spirometers that I've heard about. It does store 240 readings on the device which is plenty. If you do a few repeated tests after each other without switching it off, it saves the best result which is a cool feature.

https://www.amazon.com/Microlife-Pe...94006064&sr=1-1&keywords=microlife+spirometer

Also check out the Cool Finds section on the bottom of the home page of http://cftechnology.org where 6 more newer generation types of spirometers are listed with descriptions of the features. Some of these seem really interesting, you will just need to contact the companies who designed them directly to find out how to purchase.

mom2two

I have a Microlife that gives you FEV1 and FVC, its around $44. I also have a Piko-6 digital lunge function meter, which gives FEV1 and FVC and is about $115. I personally like the Piko-6 a little bit better.

I have found it immensely useful to take my readings first thing in the AM, mid-afternoon, and before bed. I graph the values and do a 3 day rolling average. This graph was instrumental in demonstrating to my doc that while I benefited from Cayston during the first two weeks, the latter 2 weeks were so filled with bronchospasms that it reduced the positive effect of the Cayston by more than two-thirds. So now I do 2 weeks on, two weeks off of Cayston, for max benefit. (not 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off) Stuff like that. When you have numbers, charts, and graphs to back up your assertions, doctors tend to pay a lot more attention!