Looking for more information.

MattieG

If I test positive for one copy of the R117H-7T mutation and 7T. Does this mean I have Cystic Fibrosis? I was told I am a carrier of the gene. I will not get into see a doctor for another week to discuss results. I am concerned and hoping for more information, if possible.

Thank you!

emason

A carrier does not have CF. A CF carrier has one mutation (in your case r117h 7t). In order to have CF a person would have to have 2 mutations. Sounds like your test results indicated that they only found the one and are assumed to be only a carrier, meaning you do not have CF.

For example, I'm a carrier of df508. My husband is a carrier of g1069r. Our older son inherited g1069r but not my mutation making him also just a carrier. My younger son inherited both df508 and g1069r so he is affected and now followed by a cf center

Why were you being tested? If you don't mind me asking of course.

Printer

There are almost 2000 mutations and any combination of two (almost four million combinations) will cause CF. You would need to have a FULL CYSTIC FIBROSIS SEQUENCING, including a search for duplicates before anyone could tell you don't have CF.

Bill