Low blood sugars 2 hrs after tube feeds

jshet

My son tube feeds 12 hrs. a day. About a week ago he was just not himself, hot, sweating, stomached ache, just out of sorts. I decided to check hiis blood glucose and his # was 58. It was about 2 hrs after his feed. We have since been taking in the morning and randomly throughout the day. He seems to have sone highs, more in the pre diabetic range when waking up in the morning and 2 hrs. after eating. Nothing over 200. Now he also is having perfectly normal levels also at times. The lows are what I am wondering about. I know many of you tube feed or your children do so you guys are the experts and would love your feedback.

i did call his endocrinologist and spoke to the nurse.(he sees an endo. For other reasons), and we are keeping track for a few days and then calling in the numbers.

thank for any advice, Janelle

rubyroselee

Hi,
I know that rebound hypoglycemia is very common in CF, where the blood sugars drop about 2 hrs after eating. I am not sure how to fix that issue with tube feedings though, other than to make sure something gets ingested about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs afterwards to keep his blood sugars stable.

B

Beaz

My son has experienced "rebound" lows following an elevated blood sugar and the fix is to give MORE insulin with the feed to prevent the high glucose. The doctor explained it as his pancreas responding to the high glucose, but late and inappropriately, by putting out more insulin. Have you been able to check his glucose mid-feed?
Confusing isn't it?

jshet

Thank you both. He has a clinic appt. on Thursday. I am also noticing that after he eats a meal, his blood glucose will shoot up between 160 and 180 one hour after eating and then usually will be down to normal ranges by hour 2. I was told, (not sure if true) that a non diabetics blood glucose should never go over 140 irregardless of when it is taken, fasting, random, one hour after meal, ect. Is this true? Should I be concerned that his levels do go over 140?