Low Ferritin and Iron Levels- is this common with CF?

keefer11

My ferritin has been very low for about a year. At first my doctor wasn’t that concerned about it(a year ago when I had my first low test result), but a year later after trying to improve my levels with diet, he is now concerned and prescribed over the counter iron supplements. I’ve been on them for 3 months so I re-tested and my levels are still low.
My nutritionist stated that there is normally a cause for low iron- heavy periods, celiac, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, etc. My doctor doesn’t think they need to test me for celiac even though we can’t find a cause for my low iron so I’m just figuring since people with CF have trouble absorbing nutrients it makes sense to me it is being caused by the CF. Although it’s odd I’m only now having the low levelsz

anyways, just wondering if other people out there have low ferritin/iron and if they have found a cause other than CF. (I’m debating pushing for the celiac test cause the fatigue and other side effects are no fun so I’d like to get my iron levels up.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I've had low iron off an on for years. I was on iron supplements for years but stopped in highschool (I'm guessing my levels were fine then? don't totally remember). And then I had low iron again when I got pregnant, so took supplements throughout my pregnancy. no longer on them.

Lynnfield mom

Iron deficiency is not uncommon in CF. Anemia of chronic disease (anemia of chronic inflammation) may limit how well your anemia will resolve with iron therapy(you can remain anemic due to chronic inflammation despite correction of iron deficiency. Some people with CF do better with iron therapy using iron polysaccharide (niferex) rather than iron sulfate or they need IV iron to correct iron deficiency. Celiac disease is on the differential for iron deficiency, your doctor should be willing to do a simple screening blood test. FYI be sure they check ferritin when you are well and not sick, the level is skewed by inflammation and will not accurately reflect your iron status.

rubyroselee

I started having chronic low iron a few years ago. I am on a maintenance dose of one 325mg pill every other day. We have come to the conclusion that it's from menses or absorption issues. Unsure if it's common with CF or not.