Lung function during pregnancy

jms44

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I've found lots of info here and now would like to ask for some help. My wife and I have been together for over 5 years now and she happens to be the lucky one to have CF. We have a 2 year old son and when we were blessed to find out we were having a baby, lung function was about as high as could be. This time however, I think we are about 15-20% off of peak lung function. For anyone else who has CF and has been blessed with a baby, is it possible to increase lung function during this early time of pregnancy? With our son, everything went as smooth as can be with only 1 hospital stay and my wife was able to carry full term. We wish for the same results this time around and any help would be appreciated.

mamaScarlett

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I've found lots of info here and now would like to ask for some help. My wife and I have been together for over 5 years now and she happens to be the lucky one to have CF. We have a 2 year old son and when we were blessed to find out we were having a baby, lung function was about as high as could be. This time however, I think we are about 15-20% off of peak lung function. For anyone else who has CF and has been blessed with a baby, is it possible to increase lung function during this early time of pregnancy? With our son, everything went as smooth as can be with only 1 hospital stay and my wife was able to carry full term. We wish for the same results this time around and any help would be appreciated.

Its very normal to have a decline in lung function during pregnancy, for the simple fact that your diaphragm and then uterus, plus intenstines are pressing into your lower lungs and restricting how much air you will be able to get into them. Also fatigue plays a role. This would be the case in any cf or non-cf pregnant woman. Being active helps. Trying to maintain an exercise routine, low impact. It will help keep air forced into those lower lobes as much as possible. Mommy has to stay healthy-good PT routine, antibiotics if needed at certain points, nutrition all play a role. And coughing isn't going to hurt the little one, so cough it out! Keep that junk out.
I'm on my 3rd now, and it always presents challenges at many angles, but it is certainly do able, with hard work and determination. I bounced back with my previous pregnancies within a year of delivery.
Hope your mama stays healthy as well! Congrats!

Melissa75

Administrator
[/QUOTE=mamaScarlett;978244]
I'm on my 3rd now, and it always presents challenges at many angles, but it is certainly do able, with hard work and determination. I bounced back with my previous pregnancies within a year of delivery.
Hope your mama stays healthy as well! Congrats![/QUOTE]

Mamascarlett, Congrats!! I remember when you were pondering and yearning for a third. (And i wrote a long post about having three kids with extracurrics :)
How far along are you?

OP, I've nothing to add. But congrats to you too! Best wishes!

W

welshwitch

I'd encourage her to (post pregnancy) do something to really commit to raising that lung function. For me it's been marathon training. I've made a conscious decision to make running my "thing" and it's really helped me maintain a high lung function and feel like I am doing something to really beat down my CF. If running's not her thing, have her find something that is. Possibly hire a training coach. Anything to actively keep her lungs clear and her system sweating and moving the toxic bacteria out! Congrats on baby #2!

mamaScarlett

I'd encourage her to (post pregnancy) do something to really commit to raising that lung function. For me it's been marathon training. I've made a conscious decision to make running my "thing" and it's really helped me maintain a high lung function and feel like I am doing something to really beat down my CF. If running's not her thing, have her find something that is. Possibly hire a training coach. Anything to actively keep her lungs clear and her system sweating and moving the toxic bacteria out! Congrats on baby #2!
Agree 100% I also have committed to running and since my last baby have finished 2 half marathons and several other races. I will continue that post baby, no question. You don't need to be a marathon runner, but setting a major goal and committing is wonderful for recouping that lung function.
Good point welshwitch

Daisymae1997

You asked if you can increase lung function during pregnancy, particularly during early pregnancy. I say, "Yes!" My baby is 22 years old. When I was pregnant, I walked 40 minutes every week day and was dedicated to my treatments. My best lung function EVER was 2 weeks before Erica was born. I swear she kicked me at just the right time to get that extra bit of air out for the test. :-D But seriously, it is possible to bring lung function back, as long as the decrease is not due to scarring from infection. Good luck with your children!

jms44

Thanks everyone for your input and for the congratulations. Unfortunately our PFTs were down from normal and we found out that we are now 7 weeks along. I found the marathon running interesting because for 2 weeks we ran/walked daily and it had great effects but unfortunately we had to cut back due to knee pain as neither of us had ran in years. I know there is a section here about fitness and we will be looking for some low impact activities for now. During our last pregnancy we did nothing outside of our normal life and lung function increased and we also spent the least amount of time in the hospital that next year and a half.

K

Keepercjr

I had a slight decline in lung function and we stopped measuring it when I was in my 3rd trimester or so (don't remember totally).

mamaScarlett -OMG congrats!!! I haven't been on here in forever. We are considering a 3rd and are not "not trying" if that makes sense :) I was SURE we were done since hubby said he didn't want any more but recently has softened his stance for some reason and I'm not complaining!