Lung Function

ambermarie03

Hi all! I went to my CF Clinic appointment this past Wednesday and finally got the answer I wanted in regards to my Lung Function. I was told that my FEV 1 was at 60%. My Dr told me that this was "okay". I felt a little discouraged... help!

ambermarie03

Hi all! I went to my CF Clinic appointment this past Wednesday and finally got the answer I wanted in regards to my Lung Function. I was told that my FEV 1 was at 60%. My Dr told me that this was "okay". I felt a little discouraged... help!

ambermarie03

Printer

My last FEV1 was 66% (I run between 65-75%). As I understand the reading, 100% is the expected performance of a woman your age/height and weight who is in "perfect health". My Doctor says that my 65% is good so it seems that you are doing good also. I hope that this helps.

You can google FEV1.

Bill

Printer

My last FEV1 was 66% (I run between 65-75%). As I understand the reading, 100% is the expected performance of a woman your age/height and weight who is in "perfect health". My Doctor says that my 65% is good so it seems that you are doing good also. I hope that this helps.

You can google FEV1.

Bill

Printer

You can google FEV1.

Bill

just1more

Amber, Bill's reply is spot on. I just wanted to add that the most valuable part of your FEV1 is not the actual %, or a comparison to others normally.
<br>
<br>It is the trend for YOU. FEV1 is a solid indicator of lung health. If you are at 60% but stable then you likely good. If you were at 75% a year ago and now 60% that would be bad. Likewise, if you hover around 60% for a period of time and after a change of treatment protocol consistently blow 70% that is a good sign the changes helped.
<br><br>My *guess* is if he used the term okay, then likely he would prefer to see you a bit higher, but you are stable so it is not an issue currently.<br>
<br>About the only time I've seen the actual value become useful is that it does play into timing for transplant discussions and listing when the time comes. It can also be used by some Dr's (in combination with things like O2 stats) to judge the time to consider things like supplemental oxygen or disability.

just1more

Amber, Bill's reply is spot on. I just wanted to add that the most valuable part of your FEV1 is not the actual %, or a comparison to others normally.
<br>
<br>It is the trend for YOU. FEV1 is a solid indicator of lung health. If you are at 60% but stable then you likely good. If you were at 75% a year ago and now 60% that would be bad. Likewise, if you hover around 60% for a period of time and after a change of treatment protocol consistently blow 70% that is a good sign the changes helped.
<br><br>My *guess* is if he used the term okay, then likely he would prefer to see you a bit higher, but you are stable so it is not an issue currently.<br>
<br>About the only time I've seen the actual value become useful is that it does play into timing for transplant discussions and listing when the time comes. It can also be used by some Dr's (in combination with things like O2 stats) to judge the time to consider things like supplemental oxygen or disability.

just1more

<br>

CFtori

Tom is completely right! Just wanted to say that. For me, 60% would be bad. I'm 15 and my baseline is 90% but I go into the hospital at 70. I have seen the 50s and I have seen the 100s but 60% would still be bad for ME. But my friend who was stuck in the teens for a while before transplant would have LOVED to see the 60s. It's all a matter of your past and your expectations. Good luck.

CFtori

Tom is completely right! Just wanted to say that. For me, 60% would be bad. I'm 15 and my baseline is 90% but I go into the hospital at 70. I have seen the 50s and I have seen the 100s but 60% would still be bad for ME. But my friend who was stuck in the teens for a while before transplant would have LOVED to see the 60s. It's all a matter of your past and your expectations. Good luck.

CFtori

CrisDopher

CFTori is spot on with his (her?) comment. 60% is good or bad or neutral depending on where you were before. It is nearly meaningless outside of the contexts of: is this an improvement or decline? How do you feel right now? What are your sats? What's your exercise capacity?

CrisDopher

CFTori is spot on with his (her?) comment. 60% is good or bad or neutral depending on where you were before. It is nearly meaningless outside of the contexts of: is this an improvement or decline? How do you feel right now? What are your sats? What's your exercise capacity?

CrisDopher

J

jessykt

Yes, it does get discouraging! I'm at around 56%, but I've been down to 33%, so I'm happy to be where I'm at!

My advice is find something that makes you LAUGH! Best medicine EVER!

I think my pfts came up from 33% because I found a family that makes me happy. All the best to you!

J

jessykt

Yes, it does get discouraging! I'm at around 56%, but I've been down to 33%, so I'm happy to be where I'm at!

I think my pfts came up from 33% because I found a family that makes me happy. All the best to you!

J

jessykt