Lung Functions

I've had a decline in my lung function over the past couple of months. I just finished a 2 week round of IV antibiotics and while the infection is gone, I had no increase in lung function. I'm feeling pretty discouraged and frustrated. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and had your lung function increase after your IV antibiotics?

Thanks.

MichaelL

I can think of a number of things that could be going on. First and foremost is how do you feel? I've had lung function changes (ups and downs) lag how I feel. In other words, I'm feeling a lot better, but the lung function doesn't come up for another week or so. If you're feeling better, I would keep an eye on your lung function and hopefully it will come back up.

When I've been put on IVs for a drop in lung function, they usually start me at two weeks. However, they've always extended the run for me. Usually four weeks is enough, sometimes it takes longer. How did they confirm that the infection is gone? Usually, lab work takes a few days and my doctors won't stop the IVs unless I'm feeling better and/or my lung function has come back up.

Another thing to consider if whether they were treating the right infection. I have several bugs in my lungs and it's sometimes difficult to tell which one is causing me problems. They usually will try treating one of them with IVs and may switch to different drugs if I don't improve.

I had a drop in lung function a few years ago. After trying to treat the common bugs (e.g., pseudomonas), they finally did more extensive lab work and determined I had mycobacterium abscessus. I certainly hope this isn't the case for you, but maybe you've started to grow a new bug that requires different treatment.

I know it's very discouraging to have a drop in lung function. I would continue to talk with your doctor about options. I hope you're feeling better soon.

njlins

My lung function went down about 10% after a hospital stay and two more weeks of IV's. All I can say is fight, fight, fight. I am making a point to walk and so exercise almost every day. I feel this is my only hope to get back to base line. My CF doctor suggested a pulmonary stress test as I am so breathless and my heart rate is fast doing almost nothing. I don't know what this can do to help. I even bought a pulse/ox to see if my body was actually doing what I felt like it was. It was right. But I can say that after two weks post antibiotic I do feel some better even though the pulse/ox doesn't show the improvement. I feel it just takes time and hope and exercise. Good luck Sunshine.

cam

I know how frustrating it can b i went in hospital for coughing blood got blood to stop but function didn't get better i was like wth and all doctors say well it may not get better it maybe new baseline with just made me more sad. Cause mine keeps goin down so went to another doctor got but on different meds as out patient then after that pft went up 5 percent so not sure y but all i can say is keep fighting keep askin questions stay all over doctors and if they not helping go to another just keep fighting keep up with treatments and exercise when u can and I'm so sorry that pfts r goin down i know what it feels like sometimes i read on here hpw the people with tx r doin and makes me feel little better but keep good people around u its always has helped me. and i hope u get better and fts get wayup and stay up