Marathon: Is it healthy or not?

JustaCFmom

Hi! I mentioned to our CF doctor that my son is hoping to run in a marathon and he said it isn't healthy. It is harmful to the joints, there are many injuries and how the body metabolizes glucose, etc after a certain amount of time changes...
I am very surprised. I thought it is healthy!
Thoughts?
Thanks!

lifepreneur

Hi! I mentioned to our CF doctor that my son is hoping to run in a marathon and he said it isn't healthy. It is harmful to the joints, there are many injuries and how the body metabolizes glucose, etc after a certain amount of time changes...
Thoughts?
Thanks!

The latest research shows that HIIT (High Intensive Interval Training) is more effective for helping lung function and health of people with CF. I use this type of exercise myself and my lung function has increased from 26% (upon leaving hospital 12 weeks ago) to 37%. It is quick and only needs to be done 3 - 4 times a week.

Running (aerobic) exercise is highly over-rated in general. I wouldn't run that far and in general wouldn't run unless a maniac clown with a knife was casing me lol

Research - http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/content/157/4/1145.full

kosdancer

I think that if your son is in the kind of shape that he can run a marathon and wants to do it, he should. What did your doctor suggest he do instead?

bcl0328

The latest research shows that HIIT (High Intensive Interval Training) is more effective for helping lung function and health of people with CF. I use this type of exercise myself and my lung function has increased from 26% (upon leaving hospital 12 weeks ago) to 37%. It is quick and only needs to be done 3 - 4 times a week.

Running (aerobic) exercise is highly over-rated in general. I wouldn't run that far and in general wouldn't run unless a maniac clown with a knife was casing me lol

what exercise do you do?

Cindo

Shorter distances

I am a 37 y/o CF and run. Well, no new land speed records broken, but jogging is done. I have never had better lung function, now over 100%, even when I was a relatively fit teen. I only run up to 15kms at the moment, but I've done some research and half marathons seem okay. After a few kilometres my knees can hurt a bit, but with protein bars handshakes I seem to recover well. Over the last week I have been feeling a bit down with very long days at work and a bit of a chest infection, but I still feel okay to ten a couple of kms to keep fit.
Marathons can be harden your body, but the training you would do for that would be good for you probably. I really have to watch my nutrition and have heaps of protein to do it, but i love the feeling of accomplishment after a run.
I guess we should listen to the doctors, but questions can be asked.

RunningMan

If your son enjoys running then he should do it. I myself have CF and have run marathons as well as many other races including the Goofy at Disney with the family 5K race before (Friday a 5K, Saturday a 1/2 marathon, and Sunday the full marathon).
Doctors don't know everything and if this is something your son enjoys and wants to do then he should. If you want to talk let me know, I would be more then happy to. Any exercise is good as long as you are doing it the right way. =)

A

all4Eden

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Ah! Let's see. My 10 year old daughter runs 1 mile, hike, swim and she is into martial arts. Her PFT is over 100%. Her treatments went from 4 to 2 per day.....Marathon? Go for it!!!!!!

CrisDopher

I'm not sure what article you were reading, but I didn't see anything in that article that suggested running was not helpful or even over-rated. Neither does it say that anaerobic training is more helpful than aerobic. What it ACTUALLY SAYS is that:
a) the link between pulmonary capacity and aerobic exercise capacity is confirmed, (not causality, just confirming correlation)
b) that nutrition and body weight, more than pulmonary capacity, determines anaerobic capacity,
c) "No significant relationships were identified between pulmonary function and anaerobic exercise in CF or control subjects."

You're contending an issue that can only be studied with multiple samples over time. This study, however, was a single sampling of a mere 17 individuals with CF and 17 w/out. Not an extensive survey, nor one done repeatedly. The only conclusions drawn were that body mass and nutritional status had more to do with anaerbic capacity (the ability to do short bursts of work, such as climb stairs) than did lung function. There are no connections made between anaerobic interval training and changes in FEV1. In fact, the study doesn't look at changes of any kind in FEV1, for the reasons noted above.

Listen, I appreciate that you read research. But if you're going to misinterpret what you read, I'd rather you just keep quite, rather than spread misinformation in order to support your own agenda. YOU apparently are a weightlifter and feel that has done you a world of good. It no doubt has. All of us should be lifting weights. But the link between sustained aerobic exercise and mainting or even improving PFT scores is well-established -- and we should all be cycling, running, &/or swimming.

For the record, I've done two marathons and over two dozen halfs. I cycle long distance these days, including cranking out 34 today. I also lift.

TarHeelBlue2007

Ditto for what CrisDopher said above, and my own take:
Running a marathon is indeed a stress on the body. Your son's doc said (quoting you):
1. "...said it isn't healthy." It is well-established in the CF community that exercise is beneficial for lung function improvement. While I concede that anaerobic exercise of HIIT *may* have additional benefits for lung function over aerobic exercise *of the same duration* (there are molecular mechanisms related to the shear stress of phasic air flow in the lungs), any exercise, including aerobic is better than no exercise.

2. "It is harmful to the joints, there are many injuries..." There's a grain of truth to this, but probably not what the doc thinks. A recent study showed that there is no change in incidence of osteoarthritis between runners and sedentary people. However, injury, including to joints, is a common problem for marathon runners. The key is to take it slow...increase training runs by no more than 10% per week, include at least one rest day per week, and ice often. That, and make darn sure you've been fitted for the correct type of shoe.

3. "...and how the body metabolizes glucose, etc after a certain amount of time changes." Indeed it does. It all has to do w/ glycogen stores. Unless you're a Kenyan running a sub-2:30 marathon, your body's glycogen stores will be depleted after about 2-3 hours, not enough time to run a marathon. Thus, part of standard marathon training nowadays is lower intensity training to teach your body to metabolize fat while running. Humans naturally metabolize fat during low intensity exercise (hiking, walking), but to get fat metabolism to occur while running takes time...part of why marathon training programs are so long and why the long runs are supposed to be at comfortable pace (you should be able to speak 1-2 sentences at a time to a training partner). Other key thing is to ensure that you eat during the longer sessions (bars, gels, etc), and make darn sure that you eat 150-250 calories within 30min of finishing your training session.

4. However, one thing for CFers to think about as well is salt. Depending on when/where your son wants to do the marathon, he could lose a signficant amount of salt, and thus it is imperative that he practice salt replenishment during training, esp the long runs, and esp during the race. Experimenting with my own body, I estimate that I lose ~1g of salt per hour of exercise in the heat, and probably about 0.25-0.5g/hr when it's cool. Thus, your son needs to be taking in salt during race/training. Salted pretzels are great, many gels contain a fair amount of salt (though not enough I think), bananas do ok, and there's also salt tablets (they're very much like enzymes, so we should have no problem w/ them :) ).

My creds: 2 half marathons, 1 full marathon, and 12 triathlons (2 of them Half-Ironmans). PM me if you have more questions. Tell your son to go for it.

andipenoza

I would say marathon is a healthy competition. It builds personality and camaraderie. If your son enjoys and eager to do it, you must give your support to him but never leave him behind and do things by himself.

4hats

I have two sisters with cf and they are both runners now. One has run for a number of years and it has helped her physically and mentally. My younger sister was inspired by her and now they are both training for a half-marathon in February. My wife (non-cf) was inspired by them and is also now training for that same half-marathon. I am so proud of all these 3 ladies. They all believe that running is helping them in so many ways. If you have cf and enjoy running, well then just simply enjoy!

mamaScarlett

I am a beginning runner training for a half marathon with my sisters. My lungs haven't felt this good in a long time. Running has really improved my health, not only physically but mentally. Its very empowering. When you consider that some of the most successful Cfers are runners, (check out Jerry Cahill and the livingextreme links) I can't imagine any doctor discouraging it. My doctor got up from her desk and gave me a huge hug when I told her I was running! As long as you pace yourself and eat properly. Go for it! Its wonderful.
The support of your family and loved ones is very important also. Its great to be able to train with a close friend or family member. Besides my awesome inspiring sisters, my hubby is so supportive of me, and so is my big doofy brother. (L)

James A Earl

Thoughts?
Thanks!

I heard that a marathon is not healthy for anyone. Too much hard work at once compared to other exercise choices. Your body can only handle so much exertion at once, so what your doc said matches what I have read.

Printer

You don't say how old he is. I have three friends who each ran the Boston Marathon. It takes 6-8 weeks before they were fully recovered. I would stay with 10K and maybe half marathons.

Bill

4hats

MamaScarlett, I heard u ran your first half-marathon today! That is wonderful. You are an inspiration to us all. Your hard work and determination has payed off. Keep up the good work!

mamaScarlett

MamaScarlett, I heard u ran your first half-marathon today! That is wonderful. You are an inspiration to us all. Your hard work and determination has payed off. Keep up the good work!

Aww thank you! Word gets around...Yes I ran my heart out, all 13 miles. It was wonderful and empowering. Trained for 5 months and did the impossible. Having the support of my hubby and family made it happen. And dedicating it to my 2 babies, and my big brother kept me going. :eek: