Masturbation

Enzo2311

I have a few questions about this very uncomfortable subject.

1. Is it wrong or bad to do? I was reading a Christian magazine and it said it isn't wrong (I'll link it here http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/sexuality/talking_about_sex/preparing-for-puberty.aspx)
"Your approach to this issue will need to be both tactful and realistic. A bottom line worth stressing is that masturbation should not play a major role in your child's life, either as a source of relentless guilt or as a frequent and persistent habit that displaces healthy sexual relations in the future. If it happens once in a while, it happens."

2. I get no real pleasure from doing this. Like when I'm done, I kinda feel like it was a waste of my time, like if I do it to much, but if I do it once in a great while, I get a little bit of pleasure. But nothing that great. Is this normal? I don't exactly feel guilty, it's just not the best use of my time. I really only do this when I'm really bored.

3. TV shows describe teenage guys as people who only think about sex, and how their brains are "down there". This couldn't be any more false for me. I never ever think about sex, and if I do. I actually fear it to a degree. The only reason I want a girlfriend, is because I feel lonely and I want a companion to be with who cares about me as much as I care about them. Why am I like this? People think I'm gay cause I never make remarks like "She's hot" and stuff like that.

Tisha

Hi Enzo,

I guess the wrong or right issue depends on the point of view. I did research it quite a bit. Whearas most religions consider it "wrong" mainly because it may lead to thinking more about sex and to avoid a real relationship (which I do not consider to be the case), most psychologists consider it a positive expression of sexuality and most doctors/biologists consider it a natural physiological need.
Masturbation in itself relieves the physical pressure but provides none of the satisfaction that comes from being in love with someone who loves you back.
So I'd say... if you feel uncomfortable "down there", go for it. Don't get obsessed. And keep searching for a girlfriend with whom you can also kiss and go to the cinema. :)
Fair enough?

LouLou

I think your post is interesting Enzo and I'm trying to understand the root off your question or discussion point. I would not consider "mass media" as a litmus test for what is normal. So you are probably totally normal. As far as masturbating, I think most people would agree that pleasure from another human is far better than from one's self. If you are unable to complete an orgasm yourself or with another than you may have an issue that could stem from something psychological like anxiety. Again another "normal" thing is to get erections. If there's nothing that can get you erect than that is not normal. These possiblities aside, I'd say everything you describe is normal. As far as not looking at women and thinking "she's hot," I think that is normal too. For me I only see probably 3-6 men a year I consider hot and when I do I point the person out to everyone I am with because it is such an unusual occurance. Now women, I see beautiful women much more often but I don't get have feelings for them. Sexuality is a developing part of us and I think it's great you are developing your sexuality :) How old are you?

M

m.coteklein

Hey bud,

Of course it is fine to masturbate. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, the root of this anxiety after you masturbate is from guilt, i.e. you feel like a terrible low person after all is said and done. Things just happen and the fact that you have a conscious about doing it should make you feel more moral than not. Seriously, it doesn't make you a bad person and it is completely normal. A lot of people masturbate to distress or when they're thinking too much about a particular subject matter-once it happens it releases a lot of hormones and of course hormones dictate emotions and feelings. so when you rid your body of these hormones you essentially rid your mind of them . I think the answer to question 2 lies in the guilt you feel afterwords just try to not think about it in the end, because like I said it is a normal thing to do and it just happens sometimes. And for question 3, we all yearn for someone outside of our family to care for us; I think what your looking for is not a relationship, but love. And that is very normal too. So keep your chin high and don't sweat the small stuff.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Enzo,

A religious magazine is not an authority on masturbation unless it has a nude centerfold, if you want to know if it is a sin, look for masturbation in the Ten Commandments, it’s not there. Read what is said in The Bible if you are curious. The whole idea of having a Bible in a language you can read is so you can study it if you want and interpret it for your needs. There are references to ‘don’t spit your seeds upon the sand’ and such but this doesn’t make it the 28[SUP]th[/SUP] commandment. I think you have pretty much given masturbation a neutral grade but it’s OK.

That huge population of oversexed males with one track minds isn’t fighting CF for the most part. All that extra testosterone coursing through your veins may be used for more important uses such as fighting the issues of CF. Honestly, if you haven’t asked your doctor to run a serum testosterone test please do it now! If your testosterone is being usurped or taken by other systems this could signal an important health issue your doctor should be looking into, not just your sex drive or libido.

Don’t panic, yet. I think other CFers are late bloomers. Our endocrine system is profoundly affected by CF, sperm and eggs are born, live and die in abnormal thickened fluids. The transport of everything from oxygen to sex hormones gets gummed up and potentially slowed down. For you and many other people, sexual maturity could be taking more time. You are also influenced by your Church and your parent’s conservative views and have a lot of influence to shake off and a lot to keep.

Masturbation and the resulting orgasm is an intense burst of nerve sensation. If you are either physically less sensitive to sexual stimulation or orgasm is not a pleasurable sensation, this can lead to a lower sex drive. People with back pain (pinched nerves) often have diminished sexual sensation or occasionally intensified sexual sensations, sometimes unbearably intense. At some time you may want to discuss seeing a neurologist after testosterone and such have been eliminated. Discuss this with a counselor just to make sure all the screws are tight.

At an age a few years younger than you are now, ejaculation wasn’t exactly pleasurable although I checked to make sure quite often. This is probably buried in some study, but for me at least the first few years of ejaculation had a nerve rebound effect as if somebody had squeezed my gonads. No doubt testosterone kept bringing me back and I emphasize you need to make sure yours is normal for many important reasons!

Male CFers often have ultra thin tubing or ducts in the gonads including the vas deferens. Like a genetic vasectomy, sperm may not make it out of your body and this may be painful. At 19 your young sex organs are at peak performance meaning strong spasms to propel ejaculate home. Sometimes a cramp can follow a strong spasm of the epididymis, especially if thin sperm/semen ducts resist the seminal fluid.

That seminal fluid is potentially thick and sticky beyond semen’s reputation for being thick and sticky, due to CF. Ejaculating a super thick fluid through thin sticky plumbing is bound to create some back pressure and pain. This is one thing you can potentially improve with good hydration, maybe a Gatorade before sex.

Medically, masturbation has the vote. Maybe because doctors assume everyone gets plenty of masturbation they don’t emphasize it for their CF patients. Prostatitis or chronic infection of the prostate is a problem served by lots of ejaculations. And prostatitis is common in CF.

Let’s hear it for Rosie,

LL

W

windex125

no guilt

I still have not mastered where to place my quotes with all the changes and it always seems to be in the middle of someone else's post sorry for that. But I say do it as much much as you like every day if you want. Never feel guilty abt self satisfaction. It's good for you, all the time. It will not make a difference later in life as matter fact I know people who have been doing it all their lives. Pat/CF-59

Enzo,

A religious magazine is not an authority on masturbation unless it has a nude centerfold, if you want to know if it is a sin, look for masturbation in the Ten Commandments, it’s not there. Read what is said in The Bible if you are curious. The whole idea of having a Bible in a language you can read is so you can study it if you want and interpret it for your needs. There are references to ‘don’t spit your seeds upon the sand’ and such but this doesn’t make it the 28[SUP]th[/SUP] commandment. I think you have pretty much given masturbation a neutral grade but it’s OK.

That huge population of oversexed males with one track minds isn’t fighting CF for the most part. All that extra testosterone coursing through your veins may be used for more important uses such as fighting the issues of CF. Honestly, if you haven’t asked your doctor to run a serum testosterone test please do it now! If your testosterone is being usurped or taken by other systems this could signal an important health issue your doctor should be looking into, not just your sex drive or libido.

Don’t panic, yet. I think other CFers are late bloomers. Our endocrine system is profoundly affected by CF, sperm and eggs are born, live and die in abnormal thickened fluids. The transport of everything from oxygen to sex hormones gets gummed up and potentially slowed down. For you and many other people, sexual maturity could be taking more time. You are also influenced by your Church and your parent’s conservative views and have a lot of influence to shake off and a lot to keep.

Masturbation and the resulting orgasm is an intense burst of nerve sensation. If you are either physically less sensitive to sexual stimulation or orgasm is not a pleasurable sensation, this can lead to a lower sex drive. People with back pain (pinched nerves) often have diminished sexual sensation or occasionally intensified sexual sensations, sometimes unbearably intense. At some time you may want to discuss seeing a neurologist after testosterone and such have been eliminated. Discuss this with a counselor just to make sure all the screws are tight.

At an age a few years younger than you are now, ejaculation wasn’t exactly pleasurable although I checked to make sure quite often. This is probably buried in some study, but for me at least the first few years of ejaculation had a nerve rebound effect as if somebody had squeezed my gonads. No doubt testosterone kept bringing me back and I emphasize you need to make sure yours is normal for many important reasons!

Male CFers often have ultra thin tubing or ducts in the gonads including the vas deferens. Like a genetic vasectomy, sperm may not make it out of your body and this may be painful. At 19 your young sex organs are at peak performance meaning strong spasms to propel ejaculate home. Sometimes a cramp can follow a strong spasm of the epididymis, especially if thin sperm/semen ducts resist the seminal fluid.

That seminal fluid is potentially thick and sticky beyond semen’s reputation for being thick and sticky, due to CF. Ejaculating a super thick fluid through thin sticky plumbing is bound to create some back pressure and pain. This is one thing you can potentially improve with good hydration, maybe a Gatorade before sex.

Medically, masturbation has the vote. Maybe because doctors assume everyone gets plenty of masturbation they don’t emphasize it for their CF patients. Prostatitis or chronic infection of the prostate is a problem served by lots of ejaculations. And prostatitis is common in CF.

Let’s hear it for Rosie,

LL

MichaelL

As others have said above, masturbation is a healthy way to relieve sexual tension and is not bad for you. People have different sex drives and some people need sexual release more frequently than others. It sounds like you're someone with low sex drive. This could be caused by side effects of medication, your health, low testosterone, or it could just be the way you are. I agree with the comment above that it would be worth having your testosterone checked.

Some people identify as asexual -- they're just not interested in sex. Again, this might be the case for you. You might want to look for web sites for asexual people and see if they sound like they match your situation. I wouldn't worry about being different from what someone considers "normal."

Y

yanne

You have to masturbate, not only for pleasure but also to prevent Phimosis on a later age!
Oh wait.. that's right, most Americans are circumcised, so they have on average 75 percent LESS pleasure from sex than UNcircumcised men. Glad I'm from Europe :)