Meconium and newborns

cabadie1

I am scheduled to have my baby Monday via C-section. My first child has cf and passed the meconium in the birth canal and continued for a few days. At the time we had no idea that this was a sign of cf. My question is, do all newborns have the meconium at birth, or within a few days?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Not sure of your question...but think you mean the stuff they poop first? All babies have that. Cher have problems passing and get blockages. Aren't they monitoring by ultrasound to make sure no blockage is there? And congrats on your precious little ones!

P

patpatstoo

Yes all baby's first bowel movement is Merconium. My daughter's merconium caused a blockage and she had to have surgery at 12hours old. We too did not know until she was born that this is a red flag for CF.

JennyCoulon

My oldest who is now 13 was born with a blockage as well which we didnt have a clue and he had his first surgery to relieve it 4 hours after he was brn. Our 8 year old had his bm before my c-section but it would have caused a blockage. Good luck and we will send you good thoughts

K

Kaethe108

Our daughter did not have a blockage, but it took her 3 days to get everything out.
With a healthy baby it should be out within the first 24-48 h after birth.

CureCF4Teo

I don't think all cf babies are....its like 15% of cf babies are born with the meconium ileus. My guy's obstruction caused quite a stir as he got into great trouble just a day after I had had an ultrasound. He had stopped moving - just like that. Went in to OB and he said we are having a baby today - via emergency C-section. Was scary...since he also was being taken out a month early. He also was air-lifted immediately to a children's hospital and had a 16hr surgery to save his life! Nobody knew what was up - till the newborn screening came back - then, it all made sense to everyone. He has always had G.I. issues too. Never really respiratory ones as much. He also has the double Delta F508's. Congrats....and I will pray for your baby not to have any meconium issues!!! (hugz)

KateLarge

All babies pass meconium. But not all CF babies have meconium ileus, our daughter passed her meconium totally normally so we had no idea she had CF until the heel prick revealed it (we are in the UK). HTH.