Meconium ileus in utero

kitomd21

Does anyone know how "easy" it is to diagnose MI in utero? At what gestational age is it detected by if it is present? (e.g., if not present via ultrasound by week X, then MI won't occur).

kitomd21

Does anyone know how "easy" it is to diagnose MI in utero? At what gestational age is it detected by if it is present? (e.g., if not present via ultrasound by week X, then MI won't occur).

kitomd21

SadiesMom

They looked for MI with Wyatt and they said they "might" be able to see it on an ultrasound, so they did them every few weeks throughout the third trimester, but nothing came up. The doctor said it didn't mean he wouldn't have it, it's just that they couldn't see it. He didn't end up having it.

Our CF doc said that since our first didn't have it, then most likely our second wouldn't either, but it's always a possibility.

I hope that helps.

SadiesMom

They looked for MI with Wyatt and they said they "might" be able to see it on an ultrasound, so they did them every few weeks throughout the third trimester, but nothing came up. The doctor said it didn't mean he wouldn't have it, it's just that they couldn't see it. He didn't end up having it.

Our CF doc said that since our first didn't have it, then most likely our second wouldn't either, but it's always a possibility.

I hope that helps.

SadiesMom

<br />
<br />Our CF doc said that since our first didn't have it, then most likely our second wouldn't either, but it's always a possibility.
<br />
<br />I hope that helps.

petnurse

Katie- they started looking at Philip at 12 weeks. They had a couple times that he almost classified as echogenic bowel but they said a normal baby could look that way too. Philip did not have MI at birth.

petnurse

Katie- they started looking at Philip at 12 weeks. They had a couple times that he almost classified as echogenic bowel but they said a normal baby could look that way too. Philip did not have MI at birth.

petnurse

kitomd21

It's interesting to me because we knew we were carriers with both pregnancies and my doctors didn't order additional ultrasounds later in pregnancy. I asked my OBGYN (same doctor/office as with my son and daughter) out of curiosity as to why they didn't and she basically made it seem like they made a mistake by not doing so...I found that to be irritating! Thank God, neither of my children had MI, but...would've been nice to have a jump start had they been diagnosed in utero...

kitomd21

It's interesting to me because we knew we were carriers with both pregnancies and my doctors didn't order additional ultrasounds later in pregnancy. I asked my OBGYN (same doctor/office as with my son and daughter) out of curiosity as to why they didn't and she basically made it seem like they made a mistake by not doing so...I found that to be irritating! Thank God, neither of my children had MI, but...would've been nice to have a jump start had they been diagnosed in utero...

kitomd21

CJPsMom

my ob also didn't order the late term ultrasounds, despite us both being carriers. Her reasoning is that there isn't anything we can do about it at that point.

When I mentioned to her that if we have a subsequent child, I'd want the late term u/s to be prepared and she looked at me, a little bit horrified, and said, you realize you can't terminate at that point. Then i explained to her how much I didn't like the MI surprise this time around.

But, I understand her reasoning. Not sure I agree with it, but I understand it.

CJPsMom

my ob also didn't order the late term ultrasounds, despite us both being carriers. Her reasoning is that there isn't anything we can do about it at that point.

When I mentioned to her that if we have a subsequent child, I'd want the late term u/s to be prepared and she looked at me, a little bit horrified, and said, you realize you can't terminate at that point. Then i explained to her how much I didn't like the MI surprise this time around.

But, I understand her reasoning. Not sure I agree with it, but I understand it.

CJPsMom

<br />
<br />When I mentioned to her that if we have a subsequent child, I'd want the late term u/s to be prepared and she looked at me, a little bit horrified, and said, you realize you can't terminate at that point. Then i explained to her how much I didn't like the MI surprise this time around.
<br />
<br />But, I understand her reasoning. Not sure I agree with it, but I understand it.