medications while pregnant

alfie

Hey. I am 8 weeks pregnant and thankfully am feeling great. I'm a bit anxious about medication. I'm taking 500 mg of zitromax per day and am wondering Has anyone else taken zitromax throughout their pregnancy. My gp said it was fine and I trust her but just need reassurance. I am also taking vitamin d, adek, hypertonic saline. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Alfie!! Congratulations on the baby news, how exciting!! :)

When we first found out I was pregnant, my CF doc had me consult with a high-risk OB, but then I was allowed to stay with my regular OB throughout my entire pregnancy. The high-risk OB and my CF doc consulted each other about all my meds, and the two that they had me stop were Zithromax and Mucomyst. Mucomyst was only stopped during the first trimester, but they stopped Zithromax throughout the entire pregnancy and while breastfeeding. With that being said, I know they use a "risk vs. reward" method for deciding whether to have you continue on each med. So if the reward you are getting from Zithromax is worth the risk, they may decide to keep you on it. A healthy mom is necessary for a healthy baby! :)

Have you talked with your OB regarding this? That would be my next move if I were you, if you haven't already. If she concurs with your GP, then that may help reassure you!

Take care, and best of luck to you!

Autumn

alfie

Hi autumn thank you. It's very exciting. Absolutely delighted with the news. I haven't spoke to my ob about it only my gp. I know I'm only 8 weeks and it will be a long road but I really thought things would be a little more hands on especially with cf, although I'm keeping great. I rang my cf clinic the minute I found out and asked them is there anything different I need to take or should not take. They said they would speak to the consultant and get back to me if there was anything. 4 weeks later and no word so I called them today and they said to come down Wednesday to see the consultant. My 1st scan is at 12 weeks and an appointment with the midwife at 14 weeks. Maybe I should stop zitromax myself until I'm told otherwise? Just afraid that it could be causing damage but I also understand that I'm taking them because I need them. Very confused.
Thanks for the feedback autumn.

Meg73

Of all my drugs, my doctor let me choose whether to stay on zithromax or not. At first I stopped it (why take more drugs than necessary while pregnant?) But I kept getting cold after cold my first trimester, followed by the flu. My lungs needed all the help that they could get after that, so the doctor had me restart zithromax. I'm 27 weeks now, and am still on it. I agree with the risk vs. reward. It was more risky for me to keep getting sick than to take zithromax, but if you're doing well, it might be more risky to take the drug. That said, I think you're ok to stay on it until you talk to your doctor and get their opinion since he/she knows you and your needs.

alfie

Thanks meg that gives me a little piece of mind. I'll continue it until i speak to him Wednesday. Congratulations on your pregnancy. How have you found it so far? Is this your 1st?

ethan508

Congrats on your pregnancy! No advice from me, but babies are so hard to come by sometimes that every pregnancy announcement feels exciting to me.

M

mommy w/ cf

Hi! I have a super healthy one and a half year old now. At the beginning of my pregnancy I was on nothing except pulmosyme, hyper sal, and aquadeks, which I continued to take throughout the whole pregnancy with no ill effects. During the middle of the pregnancy, though, I got really sick and my high risk baby doctor actually put me on azithromycin himself. It's definitely what you are comfortable yourself, but just so you are reassured, I had absolutely no problems with being on that antibiotic during pregnancy, and had a wonderful healthy little baby. :) After my son was born, I actually had the lactation consultants reassure me about being on the harder antibiotics to treat the infections I was have while breastfeeding. They stated that for the most part there are very few drugs that actually get into your milk supply and that even if they did a little, most likely it would just help my baby fight off any bacterial infection that they may have or get from me. I would definitely talk to your doc, though for their thoughts, because I had to stop nursing and start bottle feeding after two weeks, because I was very sick and unable to maintain my weight.
I wish you well with whatever you decide!!! Just don't be afraid to talk to both your. Baby doc and cf doc about any questions you have, as they are super nice most of the time with answering concerns! :)

Meg73

Alfie--Thanks for the congrats. I'm very excited for this baby. This is my first pregnancy. The first trimester was rough since I kept getting sick while at the same time I was dealing with morning sickness and having no energy ever. But the second trimester treated me wonderfully. I have had more energy, and I no longer feel sick. I'm officially starting my last trimester, and I am hoping that everything continues to go well.

alfie

Thanks for all the feedback guys.sorry i hav3nt been on this much. I'm almost 26 weeks and everything is going good. Babies are getting big ☺ looking forward to meeting them.

alfie

And congratulations to you meg. I read in a different post that you had your baby. I hope you are both doing well x☺

Meg73

Thanks. We're doing great. My baby is 6 weeks old now. So far I've stayed healthy and have maintained my weight. Baby girl is growing bigger every day.

alfie

Awh that great to hear delighted for you. Keep up the good work. Brilliant how ur maintaining your weight. Do you find it hand to juggle between meds/nebs/exercise?

Meg73

It is hard to find time to do everything. Right now I'm not exercising much, but I have never exercised as much as I should, so I can't blame that all on the baby. Breastfeeding has given me an appetite, but mostly I'm able to maintain my weight because of my feeding tube, which is kinda cheating. I've had the tube since I was a kid, but hadn't used it for a long time until I was pregnant. Now, I'll keep using it while breastfeeding.

I didn't do the vest for about a week when my milk came in. It was too uncomfortable, but now I've added it back in. I'm able to get my treatments in, but not always in one sitting. I'll do albuterol and hypertonic, and then if baby gets up, I'll do pulmozyme and cayston later, but I do eventually get them all done. It's easier in the evening when my husband is home.

I consider any housework I get done as a bonus, as my first priority is making sure I'm taking care of my baby and myself, and that's a full time job! If baby has an extra fussy day, I remind myself that housework isn't as important as keeping us both healthy. And once my husband gets off work, he's wonderful at helping with the baby, and I'm able to do some stuff then.

If you can get any sort of help for the first few weeks, it really is a life saver. My husband was able to take a 3 weeks leave, and then my mom was able to come and help for awhile, and they were a huge help as I was trying to figure out how to care for all of baby's needs on top of my own.