Metaneb does anyone use this?

chris27rocker

I used it 4x/day whenever I was in the hospital, and I would drive an hour into the city to use it at the hospital as an outpatient 4x/week, it made that much difference! I worked closely with it before my transplant, and I firmly believe that I wouldn't have lived without it. If anyone would like any information or pointers on it, I'd be happy to talk!

specialk

I used the metaneb when I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. It's pretty weird at first, but it seemed to be very effective from what I could tell, even though I only did it for like 2 days. I don't think its available to the public yet, but if you get a chance to try it at the hospital, go for it! I am anxiously awaiting this to be available for use at home.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
How is it different from doing neb treatment with a regular compressor? I am asking because Hill Rom may be providing it for home use?

sue3582

Did you talk to them about offering it for at home use? What did you find out?

i would love to use it. I used it at the hospital but it didn't replace any airway clearance, like the vest or anything. It made me feel like I was getting more accomplished with doing my nebulizers. I kind of felt like it was similar to a flutter device but with a nebulizer attached

Rebjane

Super Moderator
sue3582,

Call customer service at Hill rom. The rep had mentioned it about home use; not sure if it is currently available but I plan on talking with my daughter's CF doc about it. She has never used it before so not sure if she needs to yet...

Rebjane

Super Moderator
aboveallislove,
I took it as it is another way of administering breathing treatments. I do not know a whole lot about it; that's why I'm asking :)

Jessiesmom

My daughter used this during a 10 day hospital stay in February. What a difference it made! She coughed stuff up like she hasn't in years. In the beginning she complained about it hurting but that was because she had never used it before and it hurt if the respiratory tech had the pressure too high. As she started feeling better she could take the higher pressures. I had to call Hill Rom about a vest issue and while talking with them I asked about home use of the metaneb - she told me she thought it would be several years away. Nice to know it may become an option though.

chris27rocker

It's not yet available for home use, but when it is, I believe it could replace the vest. If you use it carefully, you can get a lot of benefit from it, although your cheeks, neck, and chest muscles WILL get sore at first.
Because it expands your lungs, I feel like I get an immediate improvement in being able to breathe comfortably. When I was in the hospital a few years ago, my kidneys failed during an exacerbation, so we couldn't continue iv antibiotics. Instead, they offered me a trial of this machine. After four days of ONLY metaneb, my lung function went up 15%!

ponytails

This is the same as an IPV machine, right? They are available for home use. http://www.ipvhome.com I've been trying to get one for my daughter. So far not even a response from her CF team, not sure if they even know its available. I've sent liks, etc. But may have to wait til next clinic.

ponytails

She's almost 7, but she has bronchiectasis that she's admitted for once a year. Last time Ivs didn't help at all. I know shes young but I figure she's a good candidate since this type of machine is supposed to improve ateclastis(sp?), etc. I know of 2 other moms who's children have been approved for one of the machines from the link above.

chris27rocker

I'm sorry to disagree, but it is NOT the same as IPV. I had an IPV at home for years, without seeing any improvement. The metaneb is more similar to a bipap machine with occilations. I believe that it helped with my bronchiectasis.