MI clinics--Any experience

detroitislove

I just started seeing Dr. Simon at Umich. So far I like him, although I don't have any details so far, as I haven't been admitted with him yet. <br>
But I have gone to Umich my whole life and the facility and Pediatrics team were AMAZING. I expect no less from the adult team.

65rosessamurai

Did they close down the Henry Ford Clinic?!
My last visit was in 1993...before that I was at Children's, got too big for their respiratory equipment! LOL!

I had one experience at U of M...but this was also 15 years ago...the fact that it was close to my Judo club was convenient, though!

leecee

This thread is 7 years old but I hate starting new ones. We are moving to MI in two weeks. We will be closest to the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. Anyone have experience with this clinic? It was recommended by one of my daughter's doctors at Bethesda. I want either good or bad input if anyone has any, please.

rubyroselee

Hi,

I previously traveled 4 hrs to a CF facility out of state, but now I go to UofM Ann Arbor. Their clinic area was just re-done and they have a good process for CF patients. I just had my first inpatient experience there and was more than pleased. They really treat their patients well and I feel like the care is great. The pulmonologists are all really nice too. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jennyvb17

Hi,
welcome to Michigan!!

i think it depends on whether she is seen at the adult or the peds clinic.
i live in GR grew up going to that clinic and had a really good experience with dr schuen (sp?). He was awesome.
When i transitioned to an adult they went through a few adult docs before coming to an agreement with the mmpc group. This is a group of 5 different docs who you might see any one of while admitted, but when going to clinic you see a nurse practitioner. I felt like my care suffered due to this. I switched to u of m in Ann Arbor and have been going there about 7 years now and love it. I feel like I'm getting cutting edge care and being cared by a doc who is passionate about cf and the future of our treatment.

let me know if you have speifix questions about anything, I'd be happy to help.

Jenny

leecee

She will be 14 when she sees the doctor at next clinic so that would be peds. Dr. Schoen (?) was recommended to us so it's good to know that you were successful there. I am not a fan of nurse practitioner's for her care so not sure what we will do when she switches to adult care. Isn't it like a 4 hour trip from Grand Rapids to Ann Arbor? Right now we have a 2 hour trip (should be 1 but the washington dc traffic is horrible) and I hate that commute.

Str8Krazy

My daughter see's Dr Simon at U of M he usually spends a good 30 minutes with us asking questions and answering them. When she just went in Tuesday because the oral antibiotics weren't cutting it he happened to see us in the hallway and stopped and talked to us for 5-10 mins explaining what they were going to do. Also the hospital has an assigned floor and area that the Cfers go to 6C so the nurses all have a clue what to do and are kind.
It is about 2.5hrs from Grandrapids to Ann arbor but that would also depend on where you will live.
They also gave me a card so the parking only costs $.50

Jennyvb17

Does dr Simon see kids? My impression was that he was just adults and that you would be at Motts children's hospital if you were in Ann Arbor as a kid.
I see him as well and he is very good!
i make the drive in about 2 hours.
it is only a pain when we decide to admit me and I have to wait for a bed. I usually get the call that a room is ready a 6 or 8 at night. So my parents have to make the 2 hour drive there and the 2 hour drive home. Plus if they drive to pick me up when I'm done. At this point you would probably stop stay with her, and they do have a hotel attached to the hospital, but I don't know anything about it.

i think I was 20 when they transitioned me from peds to adult GR. and I think u of m would transition her around the same time, if not at 18. So you would have a new dr at that time anyway.
I would try GR and see what you think.
they also have the floor that the cf kids always end up on. They re did the children's hospital recently, but even the old rooms were single rooms with private baths. Nurses and care was always great.

I went to UM Ann Arbor for peds and adult until I moved out of state. I received phenomenal care there. U of M in general has very high standards and an excellent medical program. Just wanted to chime in-though I don't have current experience with the clinic. I don't know about the GR clinic. Welcome to Michigan. :)

leecee

I just wanted to say that we went to the CF clinic in grand rapids. It was much better than the Bethesda clinic in Maryland. (possibly because it is military). So far I am happy with it. Thanks for everyone's input.