Middle income and doctor bills

bagged2drag

I just need to vent somewhere somewhat anonymous. I was curious what others of middle income do to manage their bills. I had numerous years that debt built up while my income was fairly low (but not low enough for good help). I couldn't file bankruptcy because about 9 years ago I filed when I ended up on Disability. Things have improved to the point that I am working regularly now, and the last few years my income has went up considerably, but definitely not enough to make payments to the dozens of creditors out there from my old debt. Many of them sued me a few years back (before my income increased). I am now at a point that my income is getting garnished to the point I can't really afford to live, but I now make way too much to file for bankruptcy. In most regards, I was actually better off with a low income, but at the same time that is a route I don't want to go down. It will be about 3-4 years before this debt is behind me now though, and the stress of it drives me crazy. I think I owe somewhere around 50K, probably to around 50+ creditors, maybe more. What do you other middle income families do to manage medical debt?

bagged2drag

I just need to vent somewhere somewhat anonymous. I was curious what others of middle income do to manage their bills. I had numerous years that debt built up while my income was fairly low (but not low enough for good help). I couldn't file bankruptcy because about 9 years ago I filed when I ended up on Disability. Things have improved to the point that I am working regularly now, and the last few years my income has went up considerably, but definitely not enough to make payments to the dozens of creditors out there from my old debt. Many of them sued me a few years back (before my income increased). I am now at a point that my income is getting garnished to the point I can't really afford to live, but I now make way too much to file for bankruptcy. In most regards, I was actually better off with a low income, but at the same time that is a route I don't want to go down. It will be about 3-4 years before this debt is behind me now though, and the stress of it drives me crazy. I think I owe somewhere around 50K, probably to around 50+ creditors, maybe more. What do you other middle income families do to manage medical debt?

bagged2drag

hockeykid

I would met with a debt consolidation counselor. They can probably work with you. I would also run your situation across your Social Worker at your CF Center. Good luck to you!!!!

hockeykid

I would met with a debt consolidation counselor. They can probably work with you. I would also run your situation across your Social Worker at your CF Center. Good luck to you!!!!

hockeykid

cnsky54RRT

Yes, see a Credit Counsellor Service! The will help you figure out your total debt, and then contact creditors and arrange for your interest rates to decrease so you can work on the principle amount. You will likely pay one sum payment through the service, and they dole it out to the creditors. Keeps creditors all off your back, no more phone calls or letters, and should your circumstances change for the better [or worse] they can renegotiate for you. The service will insist you cut up credit cards, so no more running up bills while repaying. The peace of mind is amazing!

cnsky54RRT

Yes, see a Credit Counsellor Service! The will help you figure out your total debt, and then contact creditors and arrange for your interest rates to decrease so you can work on the principle amount. You will likely pay one sum payment through the service, and they dole it out to the creditors. Keeps creditors all off your back, no more phone calls or letters, and should your circumstances change for the better [or worse] they can renegotiate for you. The service will insist you cut up credit cards, so no more running up bills while repaying. The peace of mind is amazing!

cnsky54RRT

AimeeSue82

Are they all medical bills? I've requested assistance from my hospital before. You have to provide income info, so you might be too high for them to write the entire bill off, but maybe they'd do something. Or set you up on a payment schedule. Call the debt collector or bill sender and just beg them to work with you. I know it sucks, but if they'll write something off, it's better than nothing.

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

AimeeSue82

Are they all medical bills? I've requested assistance from my hospital before. You have to provide income info, so you might be too high for them to write the entire bill off, but maybe they'd do something. Or set you up on a payment schedule. Call the debt collector or bill sender and just beg them to work with you. I know it sucks, but if they'll write something off, it's better than nothing.

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

AimeeSue82

<br />
<br />~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

bagged2drag

No credit card debt whatsoever. I've learned to live off what I make for a long time. Anytime I speak about not being able to afford the bills, I am always told I make enough to make outrageous payments. I already contacted an attorney, and things aren't so favorable either. Make too much for chapter 7, my payments for chapter 13 would still be almost $200 a week for 5 years, possibly more (200 if they count my girlfriend and her kids as part of my household- but it is not likely we could actually do that, so my payments would go up drastically from the $200 stated).

bagged2drag

No credit card debt whatsoever. I've learned to live off what I make for a long time. Anytime I speak about not being able to afford the bills, I am always told I make enough to make outrageous payments. I already contacted an attorney, and things aren't so favorable either. Make too much for chapter 7, my payments for chapter 13 would still be almost $200 a week for 5 years, possibly more (200 if they count my girlfriend and her kids as part of my household- but it is not likely we could actually do that, so my payments would go up drastically from the $200 stated).

bagged2drag

E

entropy

You're the victim of a screwed up healthcare system and screwed up politics. If I were you, I'd tell those creditors to kiss my ass, and have each bill they sent returned to sender.

E

entropy

You're the victim of a screwed up healthcare system and screwed up politics. If I were you, I'd tell those creditors to kiss my ass, and have each bill they sent returned to sender.

E

entropy