Missing School

S

sheilaaa14191

To whoever may be reading this-
I'm struggling with school. I have an endless amount of absences and my grades aren't nearly as good as they have been. I was hospitalized for the first time in February of this year. I missed about three weeks of school and ever since I haven't had the time to fully catch up on everything. After returning from the hospital, I went to see my school counselor to set me up with online school and eliminated some of the classes I was taking. Doing so only helped me only for a short time. I currently take three classes at my high school and three classes online. I just recently cultured out MAC and it has definitely been taking a toll on my breathing. I find myself exhausted and completely out of energy due to the excess coughing from trying to get stuff up, and not being able to take a full deep breathe in. Due to all of this, I'm not attending very much school. This may be the typical scenario for most people with cf, but this is all so new for me. I was diagnosed at 7 years old and up until now (16 years old), cf has never really impacted my life in such a way. Finals are coming up in such a short time frame, and I feel absolutely hopeless and the stress is definitely not making my situation any better. So I'm reaching out to all my cf fighters out there in hopes to find some words of encouragement or any advice you may have for me. Lots of love.
-Sheila

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Oh Sheila, I am so very sorry. I think the best bet now is that you attempt to have the classes extended for you so you can catch up over the summer without this stress. Space the material out. Have your folks ask for a meeting to come up with an individualized educational plan given your changed circumstances. Can anyone help with who her folks should contact at the school and specifics on what to ask for? Hugs sweetheart.

jshet

So sorry you are having such a rough time. It must be so frustrating to try and get caught up and stay caught up when you have been having a hard time with your health.
My son has an IEP, but he is in a life skills setting at school. One good thing with him being in this type of setting is he does not have the type of pressure you experience when he misses streaches of school. He just picks back up where he left off. Becsuse of this, he had not needed anything worked into his IEP regarding his cf. Actually they have been amazing through all of it over the years.
but if he did need accommodations, he would need, (atleast in our district), a 504 plan. It may be called something else in your district. This may be what you need. It would outline all special accomidations available to you in the event of illness, or if need be, slowing your pace to help prevent illness. I would maybe ask your mom or dad to check with the social worker at you cf clinic. I would think he/she would be able to explain to you just what type of plan you would need for school, and how to go about getting one. The social worker may also be able to give you some names of child advocates in your area who have attended meetings with families that are seeking help to have their child be able to be successful at school. They are familiar with policies of the district and know things that the school may not be too willing to share with you.
I wish you luck, and pray your health gets back under control so you can not only get caught up at school, but also get back to being a kid and enjoying life. Summer is close. Hopefully it is the break your body needs to have a fresh start for fall. Hang in there.

imported_Momto2

Shelia, I'm so sorry. I know from personal experience how devastating this can be. No real suggestions other than to have meetings with all your teachers with your parents there and try to get them to cut you some slack at the end of the year. For next year, might want to think IEP or homeschool. Good luck, wish I had more suggestions, but I feel for you! *HUG*

MikeInMT

I also missed a lot of school when i was a junior and senior. I was healthy enough to make it through junior year, barely passing. My senior year half way through I was well over a month behind and dropped out. The next year I went back and the same results. I got through first semester then quit. The third time through my senior year I made it through and graduated. It was difficult for me, but I stuck through it.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I agree with the below post. You definitely need an IEP! I had one and it helped me a lot. They made it so I had a lesser work load than the rest of the students. I had to home school the last two years of high school because I was so far behind. No one should have to go through this. It sucks. We deserve better but we gotta live! You can do it. If you believe in yourself then you're half way there.

Shelia, I'm so sorry. I know from personal experience how devastating this can be. No real suggestions other than to have meetings with all your teachers with your parents there and try to get them to cut you some slack at the end of the year. For next year, might want to think IEP or homeschool. Good luck, wish I had more suggestions, but I feel for you! *HUG*