Mold in my bathroom...

M

MCGrad2006

Ok, so I live at home with my parents and they seem to think this mold is NO BIG DEAL. SOOOOO...I am doing some research.

It is growing right above my shower on the wall and is getting worse. I am the only one who uses this particular bathroom, unless my sister is home from college. My mom says they have the same mold problem in thier bathroom. Ok, fine. I had mold in my dorm room in college and the whole wall had to be replaced...so that tells me that mold is BAD.

My question for those of you who know your stuff is

1) How bad is it?
2) How can I clean it?
3) How expensive is it to get tested?
4) Is it only bad if I am allergic to it? Or can it be just generaly bad for my lungs anyway?
5) Is there any way that I can test the air quality or do I have to hire someone to do that?

Please let me know what you think.

M

MCGrad2006

Ok, so I live at home with my parents and they seem to think this mold is NO BIG DEAL. SOOOOO...I am doing some research.

It is growing right above my shower on the wall and is getting worse. I am the only one who uses this particular bathroom, unless my sister is home from college. My mom says they have the same mold problem in thier bathroom. Ok, fine. I had mold in my dorm room in college and the whole wall had to be replaced...so that tells me that mold is BAD.

1) How bad is it?
2) How can I clean it?
4) Is it only bad if I am allergic to it? Or can it be just generaly bad for my lungs anyway?
5) Is there any way that I can test the air quality or do I have to hire someone to do that?

M

MCGrad2006

1) How bad is it?
2) How can I clean it?

M

MCGrad2006

1) How bad is it?
2) How can I clean it?

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />It is growing right above my shower on the wall and is getting worse. I am the only one who uses this particular bathroom, unless my sister is home from college. My mom says they have the same mold problem in thier bathroom. Ok, fine. I had mold in my dorm room in college and the whole wall had to be replaced...so that tells me that mold is BAD.
<br />
<br />My question for those of you who know your stuff is
<br />
<br />1) How bad is it?
<br />2) How can I clean it?
<br />3) How expensive is it to get tested?
<br />4) Is it only bad if I am allergic to it? Or can it be just generaly bad for my lungs anyway?
<br />5) Is there any way that I can test the air quality or do I have to hire someone to do that?
<br />
<br />Please let me know what you think.

Gravey

Mold is Bad Caitlin. It can cause severe respiratory infections. Also, Headache's and fatigue. Bleach and a good scrubbing can get rid of mold (Wear a Mask). I have a Pressure steamer that gets rid of it for me. They can be expensive, but, you can rent them cheap. Mold is dangerous for those without CF. So for you it can become a worse problem.

I don't want to scare you. You should, at least in your bathroom, get rid of it.

Take care,
Graves

Gravey

Mold is Bad Caitlin. It can cause severe respiratory infections. Also, Headache's and fatigue. Bleach and a good scrubbing can get rid of mold (Wear a Mask). I have a Pressure steamer that gets rid of it for me. They can be expensive, but, you can rent them cheap. Mold is dangerous for those without CF. So for you it can become a worse problem.

I don't want to scare you. You should, at least in your bathroom, get rid of it.

Take care,
Graves

Gravey

Take care,
Graves

Gravey

Take care,
Graves

Gravey

<br />
<br />I don't want to scare you. You should, at least in your bathroom, get rid of it.
<br />
<br />Take care,
<br />Graves

B

bethylove

We had a mold problem for years.... and I wish someone would have taken care of it a lot sooner than they did. Moving away to college in a mold free dorm room, really opened my eyes to when I came back to my house. I would get all stuffy, and it was harder to breathe, and that was just being home for one day. So really urge them to take care of it. Bleach can kill mold, but if it's really bad, it might not do the trick becuase mold likes to come back.

B

bethylove

We had a mold problem for years.... and I wish someone would have taken care of it a lot sooner than they did. Moving away to college in a mold free dorm room, really opened my eyes to when I came back to my house. I would get all stuffy, and it was harder to breathe, and that was just being home for one day. So really urge them to take care of it. Bleach can kill mold, but if it's really bad, it might not do the trick becuase mold likes to come back.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

NYCLawGirl

Two words: NOT OK!

I had some mold in a house my friends and I rented in college. The minute I found out about the mold I called my doctor at that time, who told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to get OUT. He actually wrote me a letter and I brought it to the house's owner so my friends and I could break the lease without penalty. I initially thought maybe he would just have me avoid the room with the mold or something, but there was NO WAY he was going to let me stay in that house.

More recently (as in last week), my apartment in NYC suffered a minor flood because of a fire in my building that triggered the sprinklers. Now my current doctor is insisting that I stay in a hotel nearby until the entire apartment is evaluated for mold and any potential new growth areas cleaned and properly sealed.

I have another CF friend who goes to a different clinic and has always had great lung function. A couple of years ago she suddenly kept coming down with exacerbations and no one could figure it out. After 4 courses of IVs in 6 months, she finally had a total evaluation of her house and found mold growing in the walls of a bathroom. She and her husband moved, and she returned to normal. That's not to scare you, because she did recover all her lung function and is still doing great, but it does illustrate a situation where mold was undeniably causing immediate issues.

Bottom line in my opinion: you don't play around with mold and fungus.

NYCLawGirl

I had some mold in a house my friends and I rented in college. The minute I found out about the mold I called my doctor at that time, who told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to get OUT. He actually wrote me a letter and I brought it to the house's owner so my friends and I could break the lease without penalty. I initially thought maybe he would just have me avoid the room with the mold or something, but there was NO WAY he was going to let me stay in that house.

More recently (as in last week), my apartment in NYC suffered a minor flood because of a fire in my building that triggered the sprinklers. Now my current doctor is insisting that I stay in a hotel nearby until the entire apartment is evaluated for mold and any potential new growth areas cleaned and properly sealed.

I have another CF friend who goes to a different clinic and has always had great lung function. A couple of years ago she suddenly kept coming down with exacerbations and no one could figure it out. After 4 courses of IVs in 6 months, she finally had a total evaluation of her house and found mold growing in the walls of a bathroom. She and her husband moved, and she returned to normal. That's not to scare you, because she did recover all her lung function and is still doing great, but it does illustrate a situation where mold was undeniably causing immediate issues.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />I had some mold in a house my friends and I rented in college. The minute I found out about the mold I called my doctor at that time, who told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to get OUT. He actually wrote me a letter and I brought it to the house's owner so my friends and I could break the lease without penalty. I initially thought maybe he would just have me avoid the room with the mold or something, but there was NO WAY he was going to let me stay in that house.
<br />
<br />More recently (as in last week), my apartment in NYC suffered a minor flood because of a fire in my building that triggered the sprinklers. Now my current doctor is insisting that I stay in a hotel nearby until the entire apartment is evaluated for mold and any potential new growth areas cleaned and properly sealed.
<br />
<br />I have another CF friend who goes to a different clinic and has always had great lung function. A couple of years ago she suddenly kept coming down with exacerbations and no one could figure it out. After 4 courses of IVs in 6 months, she finally had a total evaluation of her house and found mold growing in the walls of a bathroom. She and her husband moved, and she returned to normal. That's not to scare you, because she did recover all her lung function and is still doing great, but it does illustrate a situation where mold was undeniably causing immediate issues.
<br />
<br />Bottom line in my opinion: you don't play around with mold and fungus.