Moms w/ CF! - questions about CFRD and pregnancy

loveee12

I am wondering if there is anyone out there with CFRD who has given birth. I'm 18 & in college, but what I want most in of my life is a family. I've always had really good lung health (absolutely healthly enough to have a baby), but what I struggle with is the digestive part - and I have developed CFRD. Since I'm a healthy weight now and plan on maintaining it, can someone give me insight as to how all the diabetes-related aspects can affect a fetus? Can blood sugar changes harm a baby? Does pregnancy complicate the diabetes? etc. etc. Anything you have to offer -thanks!

loveee12

I am wondering if there is anyone out there with CFRD who has given birth. I'm 18 & in college, but what I want most in of my life is a family. I've always had really good lung health (absolutely healthly enough to have a baby), but what I struggle with is the digestive part - and I have developed CFRD. Since I'm a healthy weight now and plan on maintaining it, can someone give me insight as to how all the diabetes-related aspects can affect a fetus? Can blood sugar changes harm a baby? Does pregnancy complicate the diabetes? etc. etc. Anything you have to offer -thanks!

loveee12

Scarlett81

welcome!
I can't tell you about the particular things that cfrd would cause in your pregnancy and how it would affect the baby, if at all. Sorry!
I just wanted to tell you about this site-
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama/
">http://www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama/
</a>This is by a woman with Cf that has had at least one baby-she has wonderful informative links, and covers most topics/complications that pertain to Cf. I'm sure if you look through it you'll find something regarding cfrd, or you can email her. I know I've emailed her dozens of times with questions.

My OB has told me she suspects I am at higher risk to develop gestational diabetes since I have cf. But I think they don't test till 26 weeks? I know lots of diabetic women that have had kids, and my OB has treated many women with cf that have developed diabetes during pregnancy-so it isn't impossible. Don't lose faith-just get some information. Talk to your cf doctor.

Take Care!

Scarlett81

welcome!
I can't tell you about the particular things that cfrd would cause in your pregnancy and how it would affect the baby, if at all. Sorry!
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.geocities.com/MurrensNatureMama/
</a>This is by a woman with Cf that has had at least one baby-she has wonderful informative links, and covers most topics/complications that pertain to Cf. I'm sure if you look through it you'll find something regarding cfrd, or you can email her. I know I've emailed her dozens of times with questions.

My OB has told me she suspects I am at higher risk to develop gestational diabetes since I have cf. But I think they don't test till 26 weeks? I know lots of diabetic women that have had kids, and my OB has treated many women with cf that have developed diabetes during pregnancy-so it isn't impossible. Don't lose faith-just get some information. Talk to your cf doctor.

Take Care!

Scarlett81

welcome!

Take Care!

K

Keepercjr

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

</end quote></div>

I don't know much about CFRD since I don't have it but my OB told me the same thing about possibly being high risk for developing gestational diabetes. I had the screening twice in the pregnancy - one early on (I'm thinking 16 weeks?) and the other later on. Passed both times. For my next pregnancy I don't think I'll take it twice.

K

Keepercjr

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

</end quote></div>

I don't know much about CFRD since I don't have it but my OB told me the same thing about possibly being high risk for developing gestational diabetes. I had the screening twice in the pregnancy - one early on (I'm thinking 16 weeks?) and the other later on. Passed both times. For my next pregnancy I don't think I'll take it twice.

K

Keepercjr

</end quote></div>

JazzysMom

I had gestional diabetes so its is a bit different then CFRD since my sugars were normal before pregnancy & returned to normal after delivery. I didnt want to do insulin when pregnant, but my sugars were really high. I was told that it could affect the babies health including having a very large baby which of course scared the crap out of me. At the time I planned on having my daughter vaginally & I am not that big. I dont remember the exact problems that could be caused for the baby, but I would imagine they are the same for gestational & CFRD. The steadier the sugars whether with insulin, carb counting etc....the better for mom & baby.

JazzysMom

I had gestional diabetes so its is a bit different then CFRD since my sugars were normal before pregnancy & returned to normal after delivery. I didnt want to do insulin when pregnant, but my sugars were really high. I was told that it could affect the babies health including having a very large baby which of course scared the crap out of me. At the time I planned on having my daughter vaginally & I am not that big. I dont remember the exact problems that could be caused for the baby, but I would imagine they are the same for gestational & CFRD. The steadier the sugars whether with insulin, carb counting etc....the better for mom & baby.

JazzysMom

MamatoAlexa

I have tested boarderline for CFRD but did not develop GD while pregnant. My CF dr told me that I was at higher risk of developing GD and if I did develop GD it may not go away after giving birth.

MamatoAlexa

I have tested boarderline for CFRD but did not develop GD while pregnant. My CF dr told me that I was at higher risk of developing GD and if I did develop GD it may not go away after giving birth.

MamatoAlexa