Motivation in the Morning

K

kenna2

Mornings are always the most difficult for me. I have regular coughing fits that last about 30mins and it's a full body workout for me and i'm always exhausted, depressed, and in pain. If anyone else goes though this, how do you motivate yourself to get through the rest of the day? I know giving up is not the answer even though I wish I could.

ethan508

Sleep in until noon and then you don't have to deal with mornings. :p

More seriously, mornings are definitely when I have more cough and more sore muscles. But I've always enjoyed the peace and quiet of an early morning especially if it is on a near empty golf course or in the mountains. Outside in the cool moist air, watching the world before everyone wakes up would be an ideal start to the day for me. Maybe you could try to get outside when you wake up for a few minutes of me time. Sit on a porch with a cup of warm beverage, cough up a lung, maybe even do some mild stretches or simple yoga. My life doesn't really allow for much outside time in the morning but I wish it did.

W

welshwitch

If I go on a long run the night before I'm much less congested the next am. I don't know if this is an option for you, but for me it's better than any medical treatment so far!

K

kenna2

Lol....love the sleep in until noon. Thank you, these are some great ideas. I really appreciate the feedback!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hey Kenna...not sure if this is any help but I was pondering what I'd try to do for ds and thought another middle of night treatment and then thought that will ruin any good sleep you had and then thought what about using an inhaler of xopenex and if you wake in the middle of the night do two quick puffs in middle of the night. I can't sleep through the night without getting up for a pee and thought maybe this would help a bit--the bronchioldialtor not the pee.

Twistofchaos

As mentioned above exercise the previous day where you try to clear out your lungs makes a huge difference the next morning.
Mentally having a goal or something to work to helps. Write a book or craft something. Work towards making the trip of your dreams. Lifting weights is a good motivator for me and to work towards lifting a heavier weight over time. It keeps me way more disciplined with therapy, food, sleep etc. In turn to stay motivated to do that and life in general..I work towards a trip that because of lifting weights I can then make in acceptable health.

imported_Momto2

Kenna, totally hear you. I havent been sleeping well at ALL either, mostly due to all the pain and coughing. For me, my husband and kids are the motivator. I have to get up to make lunches, do hair, and drive kids to school. My husband can manage if I simply cant get out of bed, but its the personal satisfaction of helping my kiddos start their morning right that motivates me. (And if all else fails, a hydrocodone takes the edge off) The rest of the day can be rough, but usually there is a certain amount of stuff that I must get done to support my family, and so I take a loooooong nap, and then address it. :) I also call my mom sometimes, she has tough days too, and we can mutually bitch about it to each other :) Does the heart good!!!!

Jennyvb17

I know sleep is precious, that we don't want to short ourselves on that, but I get up a bit earlier.
This gives me the opportunity to recover and relax after my fits, to sit and wait for 20 minutes til I can push myself back to my daily routine. The worst is having to sit down in the shower due to a fit :)
I'm still working full time, so being to work on time everyday is still the push that gets me out of bed each day.

JRB52

Kenna, I also have the morning cough that I guess I assumed most CF people have. When I've just finished a round of antibiotics I will generally have a few weeks with a lot less mucus and it's such a gift. Then it starts generating again to the amount where the morning cough returns and increases as time goes by. Right now, I average 45 minutes and 1/3 c. of mucus every morning which starts a couple minutes after getting out of bed. Everything settles while laying down during the night and then triggers the cough to clear it out when I stand up straight; once it starts, it has a mind of its own.
For me, I just keep moving forward through my "first thing in the morning" routine, pausing to cough and spit (pretty). I try to keep my mind active and on other things while I'm making coffee, checking blood sugar, shooting insulin, making my breakfast, dog breakfast, dog medication, etc. By the time I take my pooch out the cough has usually started to settle down. I eat breakfast, check email... and then it's time for treatments... and more coughing. And sometimes I actually stop and ask myself, "why am I so tired?" Really? :) So, I guess in answer to your question--re. motivation--I would say having a routine to keep my mind on throughout the coughing portion of the morning helps me; and, as other people mentioned, having a daily non-CF routine that needs to be followed, which includes things that you enjoy. I know when I have work or someplace I need to be, a project that needs finishing, lunch date with a friend... it takes my mind off the "daily grind" of the disease and trumps the CF symptoms. Having a purpose really does help.

JRB52

Kenna, I also have the morning cough that I guess I assumed most CF people have. When I've just finished a round of antibiotics I will generally have a few weeks with a lot less mucus and it's such a gift. Then it starts generating again to the amount where the morning cough returns and increases as time goes by. Right now, I average 45 minutes and 1/3 c. of mucus every morning which starts a couple minutes after getting out of bed. Everything settles while laying down during the night and then triggers the cough to clear it out when I stand up straight; once it starts, it has a mind of its own.
For me, I just keep moving forward through my "first thing in the morning" routine, pausing to cough and spit (pretty). I try to keep my mind active and on other things while I'm making coffee, checking blood sugar, shooting insulin, making my breakfast, dog breakfast, dog medication, etc. By the time I take my pooch out the cough has usually started to settle down. I eat breakfast, check email... and then it's time for treatments... and more coughing. And sometimes I actually stop and ask myself, "why am I so tired?" Really? :) So, I guess in answer to your question--re. motivation--I would say having a routine to keep my mind on throughout the coughing portion of the morning helps me; and, as other people mentioned, having a daily non-CF routine that needs to be followed, which includes things that you enjoy. I know when I have work or someplace I need to be, a project that needs finishing, lunch date with a friend... it takes my mind off the "daily grind" of the disease and trumps the CF symptoms. Having a purpose really does help.

C

Cale Gilley

I think all of us with CF have it hard in the morning due to the mucus build up over night. What helps me is to shower first the steam seems to hydrate and loosen me up I do cough up a good bit in the shower then right after I get out. After I'm done showering I then do my treatments and the coughing up stuff in the shower before hand helps me not cough as much when I do my treatments. Like jenny said taking a break after coughing really helps the process in the morning. As far as motivation have a goal everyday something you like and want to accomplish at the end of the day and look forward to that goal.