motivation?

casaraha

my boyfriend is currently waiting to see if he can even get on the lung tx list again. his bone density is apparently poor, he's lost weight (down to 115# - lost 15 lbs in 6 months), and his lung capacity is at about 25%. he was discharged from the hospital 1 1/2 weeks ago, and now is barely moving. he sits on the couch all day and doesn't attempt to do anything physical, besides walk to the bathroom a couple times a day. he is a bit depressed, in discomfort, and generally weak. i know he needs to get stronger and use his muscles and bones - but there's nothing that i'm saying or doing that's helping him follow through. he does get coughing fits a bit, and that dissuades him from moving because of the recovery time after each of them - but i do not want to see him waste away on a couch. anyone have any advice? he is so important to me.

EnergyGal

Tell him he is hurting not only himself but he is hurting you. Tell him if they will transplant him his recovery time will be very difficult if he does not make any attempt to walk. I think his very depressed. I am sorry to see you going through this with him. Tell him you want him to make more of an effort.

sarahk8

Perhaps, Jerry can help. He is an advocate for Exercise For Life - visit Jerry's Exercise for Life at the BEF link. I had the privlege of meeting Jerry, personally and BOY - he is amazing. Jerry is 50 with CF and he runs marathons. He rang the NYSE bell today and is truly inspirational. He encourages exercise and may have some encouragement and ideas for you and your boyfriend, Casaraha. I will keep you in my prayers.
Sarah

EnergyGal

If he cannot get out of bed to exercise he can exercise in bed. He can do leg raises and bicycle exercises all on your back. Whatever he can to keep moving. He can take a pillow between this knees and squeeze it. He can then keep it there and roll up and back if he is able. You can buy him the resistance bands that are one circle and move his arms through the circle and keep them going like he is pedaling a bike. There are a ton of things he can do in bed and before he knows it he will have the strength to walk.

casaraha

i just wanted to let everyone in the cystic fibrosis forums who have read my posts that casey passed away peacefully yesterday. i was by his side until the very end - it was time for him to leave his suffering behind. many thanks to all of you who have had him in your thoughts. he was so loving, and so easy to love. there will be a service later this week, probably friday, in stevens point, wisconsin. i will check back to the forums on occasion. i will continuously pray for everyone whose lives are affected by cf.
KATIE

EnergyGal

Dear Katie

I am deeply sorry to hear this and will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please do come back and check back. You are such a caring person and we need people like you to fill our spirits. God Bless You