Moving Temporarily for a Transplant

I live days from the nearest transplant center, so obviously I will have to move for my transplant. My CF doctor advised that my whole family move with me since it could be a very long wait and/or recovery time. Has anyone moved your whole family and then moved back later? How do you deal with paying for rent/mortgage on two properties? Did you leave all your stuff, store it, pack it? Did you bring pets with you? Did you rent out your place? Where did you stay during evaluation in case you were rejected? Did you fly with O2 or drive? Sorry, I have so many questions as I start considering the logistics of a transplant.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I'm unable to help you with these specific questions as my transplant center was only 5 hours away. It was from my understanding at the time that any center FURTHER than 5 hours it was necessary to move permanently for quite some time. Luckily my center (Pittsburgh) was one of the best centers in the US at the time (I think they still are) Moving wasn't an option for us. I can only imagine how incredibly difficult it would be to pack up things and pay twice the bills.

My mom organized a few fundraisers before my transplant while I was waiting. Because we had to stay after my transplant we used the money to stay in a furnished apartment big enough for 4 adults. Complete with washer and dryer in the unit. I think we stayed there about 2 months. To my knowledge they reserve certain apartments for families seeking medical care at the local hospitals. Is there some kind of hospital-medical related housing you can look into? We also stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn a few times. They have rooms with small kitchens and full size refrigerators so you can buy food and cook.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hugs,

cftransplant

I moved 2,450 miles with my wife and three German Sheps.(I do not abandon dogs). I left my house vacant, and my wife is a nurse and her company (traveler) paid the new rent for months. Moved with very little. Moved home the day I could leave, about 10 months post TX. Stay during evaluation in an extended stays. I have flown with oxygen several times, sucks. Drive with your oxygen. I towed a small u-haul with spare tanks, concentrator, etc. Flew home form my tx center two days ago, flight full of sick ass coughing people. I am very ill, getting near a very long run of good luck.

CF 66 cepacia since 1995, major cancer survivor 1.5 years, 16 years out on a double lung