Moving to Canada - info needed on health care costs etc.

roblake29

Sorry for cross-posting this message:

Hi,
I am a 29-year old Canadian/British male with CF. My wife and I are planning to move to Ontario early next year (Jan/Feb) from the UK, and I have some questions regarding CF care. Maybe someone on here can help answer these for me.

1) Health care provision. In the UK, we have a national health service (NHS), which provides free health care (paid by taxes of course), and does not exclude anyone on the basis of illness or what you might call a 'pre-existing condition'. I have been reading mixed messages about the Canadian system. I understand you also have a system called Medicare that provides free health care. Does this stretch to treatments for CF? What about prescription drugs? Do I need to get top-up health insurance? What are costs likely to be? Can you recommend any particular insurance providers if this is necessary?

2) How do I go about setting up to be looked after when I arrive? Can I chose my doctor? Is it worth exploring different CF treatment centres to pick the best one?

If anyone on here has answers to these questions or can point me toward finding them, please get in touch.

Thanks so much.

Rob

roblake29

Hi,
I am a 29-year old Canadian/British male with CF. My wife and I are planning to move to Ontario early next year (Jan/Feb) from the UK, and I have some questions regarding CF care. Maybe someone on here can help answer these for me.

1) Health care provision. In the UK, we have a national health service (NHS), which provides free health care (paid by taxes of course), and does not exclude anyone on the basis of illness or what you might call a 'pre-existing condition'. I have been reading mixed messages about the Canadian system. I understand you also have a system called Medicare that provides free health care. Does this stretch to treatments for CF? What about prescription drugs? Do I need to get top-up health insurance? What are costs likely to be? Can you recommend any particular insurance providers if this is necessary?

2) How do I go about setting up to be looked after when I arrive? Can I chose my doctor? Is it worth exploring different CF treatment centres to pick the best one?

If anyone on here has answers to these questions or can point me toward finding them, please get in touch.

Thanks so much.

Rob

roblake29

<br />
<br />Hi,
<br />I am a 29-year old Canadian/British male with CF. My wife and I are planning to move to Ontario early next year (Jan/Feb) from the UK, and I have some questions regarding CF care. Maybe someone on here can help answer these for me.
<br />
<br />1) Health care provision. In the UK, we have a national health service (NHS), which provides free health care (paid by taxes of course), and does not exclude anyone on the basis of illness or what you might call a 'pre-existing condition'. I have been reading mixed messages about the Canadian system. I understand you also have a system called Medicare that provides free health care. Does this stretch to treatments for CF? What about prescription drugs? Do I need to get top-up health insurance? What are costs likely to be? Can you recommend any particular insurance providers if this is necessary?
<br />
<br />2) How do I go about setting up to be looked after when I arrive? Can I chose my doctor? Is it worth exploring different CF treatment centres to pick the best one?
<br />
<br />If anyone on here has answers to these questions or can point me toward finding them, please get in touch.
<br />
<br />Thanks so much.
<br />
<br />Rob

vbs420

I just typed a response, but on my BlackBerry it doesn't appear to be posted.

Message me your email, and I'll share some detailed info.

vbs420

Message me your email, and I'll share some detailed info.

vbs420

<br />
<br />Message me your email, and I'll share some detailed info.