Mrsa

Lisa226

Hi all, I'm new to CF.com. I'm 35 with CF and CFRD and I just recently cultured MRSA last month. Before this, I have been healthy with great lung functions. Since culturing MRSA, my pfts have dropped 10 percent and and I just haven't been feeling well. The most troublesome is a horrible, dry hacking cough and not being able to take a deep breath. My sinuses are fine. I have been on Minocycline and Prednisone for a month. Prednisone usually works miracles for me when I get a dry cough but this time, it did absolutely nothing. My doctor wants to admit me and give me IV Vancomycin and another IV for the Pseudomonas. I'm just concerned that this dry cough is not going away and I'm concerned it won't go away on IVs. My cough is so dry that I can't cough up any mucus. Does anyone with MRSA experience a dry cough when it is flaring up? What are your symptoms of MRSA when you feel like you have an infection?

Thanks,
Lisa

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice as I've never cultured MRSA. And I'm sorry about the drop in PFTs and generally feeling of yuckiness.

I really just wanted to say "hello" and welcome you to the site!

I hope you get some replies....

Take Care and see you around :)

Autumn 32 w/cf

shal624

I really wanted to comment on this because i just recently cultured this as well, along with cepacia bacterium. i was put on two batches of antibiotics and my PFT's are still dropping. I have always had great lung function.... but now i must go in for my second hospitalization ever.... its pretty scary too me, but im sure things will get better.

keefer11

Welcome!

That's interesting. When I first got MRSA I had what you describe-- a lot of dry coughing. I actually blamed the dry cough on Cayston. But, after a year or two with MRSA I've become constantly phlegm-y and my doctor says that the constant phlegm is more the norm for MRSA. So now I just have to pay attention to my body and know when I'm phlegm-ier than normal and need to go on antibiotics.

Are you on hypertonic saline? That's pretty good for hydrating the lungs. If you aren't on it, I would try doing it twice a day and see if that helps. I know it seems simple, but drink a ton of water and stopping drinking caffeinated beverages can really help.

The IV's will hopefully do the trick, I get a lot less inflamed after being on IV's an can bring up a lot of junk, so hopefully that will help. If it's your first time culturing MRSA try and get rid of it, definitely do the vanco and hope you get rid of the MRSA and the dry cough!!!! Good luck!

erock77

Agreed on keefer's points. I've had MRSA several years now and have noticed the cough is a bit different. Are you sure it's dry and isn't just super deep and hard to cough up? I wondered since you said you were pretty healthy beforehand, maybe you're not as practiced in the different ways of coughing. Hypersal and airway clearance sound like a good aproach. Good luck w/ the IV stuff.

TICMOMOFF1

Our daughter has grown mRSA for years now. This time she was very tired and had a constant cough but could not get anything up also kept a low fever at all times. Her lung functions were not too bad and she actually didn't sound to bad they said.. but the doctor's still wanted to admit her because the constant fevers and weight loss..I talked to them about not getting good cultures because they could only do throat swabs and they agreed to do a bronch and found that she was severely congested with pneumonia and it didn't show up on xray or on her lung functions or how she sounded. Everyone is different how they feel or how their body is showing symptoms...being aware how you feel and what's just not feeling right is key...

Lisa226

Shal624, I hope you start feeling better too. Keefer11, I have many problems with Hypertonic saline. When I get the dry cough and do hypersal, it makes my cough twice as worse to the point where I'm choking and gagging. So I do not do hypersal consistently. Erock77, the cough is definitely dry but it's also very deep. I do exercise and the vest regularly but since the cough, I've been very restricted. Interesting you say that Tickmomoff1, I have been having chronic low grade fevers and a drop in FEV1 and my doctors say my lungs sound good too! Go figure!

mamaScarlett

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through.
This describes my past few years to a T. To my knowledge I began culturing Mrsa about 3 years ago. Since then I too am beset by dry coughs, asthmatic flares, shortness of breath and even occasional hemoptysis when I never previously had it.

Only in the past few months have we tried to hit the Mrsa harder. It's come back sensitive to several things..doxycycline, minocycline, cipro..but the only thing that seemed to help was Zyvox. However it was short lived and I did agree to my doctors suggestion of an in house tune up with Vancomycin. They're also hitting me with 3 other abx. I have been sick on and off, nonstop for a year. My pfts have also taken a hit, dropping from low 70s to low 50s over the past 18 months.
So we have high hopes that this will help a lot. It's not easy. But being sick 75% of the time isn't easy either!

Hopefully you will find a treatment plan that works for you and helps.

H

HDsMom

My son is 9 (with CF) and he's been colonized with MRSA since his first hospital stay as an infant. His PFTs are in the low 80's - up from a low of 73% a year ago. MRSA flares up about once a month and he needs oral antibiotics (Bactrim DS occasionally Zyvox), sometimes he can go 2 months before a flare up. Each time starts the same - constant dry cough (can't get anything up) - if we don't start treatment right away he will get pretty bad and need a prednisone burst. We've tried Hypertonic saline but he doesn't tolerate it - says it burns so much and makes it worse. He's also had asthmatic flares and shortness of breath (no hemoptysis). He never gets a fever with a flare up. He's cultured pseudomonas twice but we were able to get rid of it with Tobi & Cipro... my guess is the MRSA doesn't give the PA any room to settle in - at least that's what I'm holding onto (always trying to find a silver lining). We've not tried inhaled vanc. He did IV vanc when he was first colonized but it didn't get rid of it.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
MotherOfCfBoy - Thanks so much for the link to the article on MRSA eradication. Tell me how you manage to stay abreast of these articles. . . . do you subscribe to a feed somewhere? Or. . . .? THanks again.

Hi Gammaw, :)

Every now and then I look up the latest CF articles on Google Scholar and I also sometimes also search for specific topics like 'cystic fibrosis mrsa eradication'. In Scholar it's easy to limit the searches by including articles from a specific time.

After my son was born I spent an enormous amount of time looking at CF articles because I felt that the approach at my son's clinic was far too passive. I'm so glad I that I did because we've had a really easy time with CF, no exacerbations, no IVs, normal weight and height, no cough ever, no missed school and relatively little time spent on treatments - all this because of the information I found (if you are interested you can have a look at my previous postings). The hardest part was to convince the doctors to give us the prescriptions I had learnt my son needed.

Reading about CF has become a habit and an interest, and I also feel it makes me forearmed in case there is a problem. In my experience doctors don't follow the latest CF literature very closely, at least unless CF is the only thing they do, and even then clinics seem to have their own set ways of treating patients.

kari anne

I understand that most of you who are struggeling with the hypertonic saline treatment don't use it all the time but only as a treatment in afterhand? My daugther is four months old and has been doing the hypertonic saline combined with physiotreatment since three weeks old. She reply well to the treatment with mild caugh but she is taking a saltwater with lower consentratoin, is that something you do to?

Hope you get well!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
MotherofCFboy - thanks so much for the info. I will check out Google Scholar. I heard about it ages ago but I never thought about it in my post-CF world. Great idea.
I too like most others have been on a CF research binge ever since. I also feel my CFers doc may not be as aggressive as I want. And Im the one who pushes when new things show their ugly head. I think the nurses take a deep breath when I call or they have to call me -they know it's time for 100 questions and some challenges to their assumptions. I would love to hear more about your travels. We too have managed excellent BMI (75%) and no tune ups until pre surgery twice for polyps. Defeated pseudemonas for 4 years but back twice so stuck on TOBI. And the last polyp surgery left him with hospital acquired MRSA which has infuriated me. I know we can do better!

Hi Aboveallislove and Gammaw, here is a as short as possible summary about our CF travels, I hope you'll find some of it useful!

In the early days I also had lots of questions about my son's treatment, but I found I could not get convincing answers to most of them from his clinic. The team was just going to wait for trouble and then react, the only treatment they offered was physiotherapy (which we ended up never doing). So I looked for information on the web and luckily managed to get into contact with Jeff Wine (the director of the Stanford CF lab). Another important discovery was that the Copenhagen CF Center were trialling Pulmozyme with their youngest patients, so they clearly were very proactive. The more I found out about them, the more convinced I was that they were treating CF the way I felt it should be done. We went to visit them when my son was 6 months old, and we've been back several times.

For a while we also went along with the system at my son's clinic: a bronchoscopy which left my son wheezing for days, an infant lung function test under sedation during which he picked up MRSA. The MRSA was not even picked up at the clinic, but luckily we visited Copenhagen soon after, and returned home with a bag full of oral antibiotics - it was pretty dramatic. After this I decided that we had to do things differently and stay away from the hospital as much as possible (they did not even have an infection control policy those days). Luckily the senior doctor at the clinic agreed that we'd only see him when we needed to. He was happy to write the script for the inhaled tobramycin (we used the IV tobramycin in a nebulizer) and managed to get approval for Pulmozyme, even though it was a lot of work for him.

This system worked really well, and if there was a problem like staph, I'd go to the doctor asking if my son could get it treated 'the Danish way'. He was always surprised at the high doses of oral antibiotics they use. (I think the doctors have discovered the easiest way to get rid of me is to go along with what I ask for because I won't back down.)

A few years ago we moved and there have been some 'adjustment' problems with the doctors, but the system is working essentially the same way.

We've been able to maintain this independence because my son has never been ill and has never cultured PA. The key to this is the daily inhaled antibiotic recommended by Jeff Wine (he gave a plenary about this approach in the 2008 North American CF Conference, there is a video of it on the Conference web site). I've later found out there is also a CF center in Brussels where they have used the same PA prevention protocol with very good results: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790367.

There was also a larger study of PA prophylaxis using cycled Tobi (28 days on, 28 days off) the results of which were disappointing, but not surprising because the rationale of the continuous prophylaxis is to compensate for the immunodeficiency in CF sputum, so it makes no sense to do it only every second month (like brushing your teeth morning and night every second month). One option would be to cycle Tobi/Cayston or colistin monthly, but I've read any clinical trials are unlikely (I don't know why).

So this has been our experience. We visited my son's old clinic some months back, and his doctor's first comment was that "none of our other patients look as good as him". My son also had his first ever CT scan done there and the doctor said "this is remarkable, his lungs are absolutely clear, I have not seen this before with an 11-year-old CF patient!". :)

I forgot to say that my son has always taken his inhaled medications (including hypertonic saline and Pulmozyme) with a mask. He has not had polyps and the only sinus problem he has had is staph.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks so much! Our son also does the inhalled with a mask because of age but I thought along time ago that that must help better for sinus'. Because after her started hyper-sal, his nose would actually run (but only during/after) and before never a drop. So right now he does: 1) xopenex; 2) hyper-sal; 3) pulmozyme; 4) Qvar; 5) vest. plus his oral meds. I've been of the opinion that that should be standard care by year 1. I understand starting hyper sal at 1 and pulmozyme myabe at a few months (just to get use to the process) I take it your son also is always on tobi? Other than that is there anything more proactive you're son does? And what are his mutations if you don't mind me asking? Oh, and do the inhalled antibiotics screw up the bateria in the gi track? any thoughts much appreciated!

Hi, my son has a class I mutation 3659delC and DeltaF508, so his mutations are as severe as they can be. But mutations probably don't matter as much as people tend to think, except of course with targeted therapies like Kalydeco.

I don't know what xopenex and Qvar are, but otherwise it looks like your son is on pretty much the same regime as my son, including the mask :), except for Tobi. However, I'm convinced that Tobi is the most important one. It's a very powerful prophylactic and it's the best anti-inflammatory treatment for CF lungs there is. Because my son started it when he was only a few months old (at very low doses), we could prevent the dreaded infection-inflammation cycle from starting. In a recent video about Kalydeco I saw Jeff Wine quip that he had always thought "tobramycin was the cure for CF" and I think he is right. Colistin and Cayston would work as well.