mucus clearing in throat/trachea? Tips anyone?

erock77

I'm surprised I couldn't find this topic, but sometimes I feel so much secretion in my throat I feel the urge to clear my throat a lot, sometimes loudly, sometimes it starts to hurt from this. It's annoying, and could certainly draw attention in public. I recall reading someone said the Vibralung was helping with this issue, for that reason I'm curious to try it. But otherwise, has anyone dealt with this problem well and have any advice?

I do all the usual CF lung meds w/ Afflovest.

Oboe

Can't answer about the Vibralung, but I do have crap in my throat a lot. I find that it usually means I need to cough something up even if I'm not feeling overly congested. If I can, I just try to force it; huff cough, something to get it up and out. If you swallow it, it just ends up right back in the same place. Postural drainage helps a lot, too, but obviously if you're busy that's not an option. Hope that helps.

charliej5

I use SSKI (.3 ml) mixed with 3cc Albuterol/Ipratroprium in nebulizer. The SSKI is very effective in clearing mucus. I also nebulize 5cc of hpertonic saline and while effective on its' own, it is most effective when done following the SSKI/bronco dilator treatment.

F

fuddlynn

Throat clearing - diet, diet, diet

You will find that inflamed sinuses, sugary snacks, mint, alcohol and chocolate all relax the muscle that causes esophageal reflux and leads to throat clearing.

This is also a major contributor to lung infection.

i was able to better control the throat clearing problem by:

1. not eating anything but but a small glass of water after 7:00 pm.
  2. going to bed consistently at the same time every night (for me, 10:00 pm) and sleeping with the head of my bed slightly elevated.
  3. avoid foods that exacerbate my reflux
  4. sinus rinsing at least twice a day whether you feel you need it or not and a good nasal spray like Flonase

Keeping your nasal passages clear is probably the single biggest thing you can do for your lung health because every single drop of crud in your nose (even if it is clean and clear) will drip down your throat and into your lungs and feed infection. Turn off this spicket at all costs!

The nasal drainage is also more of an irritant to your throat than you realize causing throat clearing.

MGrossan

Humming - a song or "ooommm" acts as a vibration and helps to break up mucus bonds. Papain and bromelain are proteolytic enzymes that also help. Green tea - with or without caffeine with lemon helps activate cilia, and of course enough water. Clear.ease is a combination of papain and bromelain that you melt in your mouth between cheek and gums, so that you by-pass stomach acids.