Mum needs help on getting toddle to use a sippy cup to drink is milk

lovemyboy507

Hi I was hoping for some advice on my 2 year old. He won't drink his milk/pediasure through anything other than a baby bottle we have been trying to switch him for ages, his twin sister is already on to using a grown up cup, And while there are a million forums on the net saying don't give in and only offer a sippy cup my little one is not a great eater either so this is his main source of calories and with our clinic breathing down our necks on weight gain I don't think I can do the wait it out thing with him. He will happily use a sippy cup of any variety for water.

also any advice on getting a toddler with cf to eat - he is such a fun loving boy that food just isn't a priority to him, he is happy to sit at the table with us while we eat but will not touch his food and only eat dry biscuit/crisps/crackers/cheese/ we also offer him what we are having but when the clock starts ticking on his creon we cave and give him the crackers

Thanks

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry that I don't have time to explain in more detail, but I strongly recommend you get Ellyn Satter's book Child of Mine or google and read her webpage on the Division of Responsibility for the feeding issues and I believe she also discussed re the weening from the bottle. She also has a facebook page you can post a question to and she and others will answer. She is a dietitian and family therapist and while not for the treatment of CF she knows the details and her model works equally well. I'll try to respond more on Monday but try to look it over in the meantime and instead of "giving in" for every meal have one course an acceptable food, such as bread or even crackers, but it is on the table for the family with everything else.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS didn't like sippy cups either but I was able to get him to drink out of straw. So I used cups with lids and a regular straw. And I'll admit, when he was sleepy or under the weather, I'd still use a bottle when he was 3 or 4. Two is a tough age even without CF. My godson (no cf) hardly eats a thing. I gave his mother a case of ensure juice, which he'll drink and some protein bars. When he visits, he'll eat DS' extra buttery popcorn, so at least he gets some calories.

When DS was that age, I found whatever worked and fed it to him. Even when it meant taking a bunch of cans of spagettios with us to Mexico for a vacation. He ate that or hamburgers for every meal. Mac & cheese, yogurt. I once took him grocery shopping around the holidays with me and they had TONS of samples. He developed a taste for aged cheddar and shrimp cocktails. Felt rather odd buying spendier cheeses and shrimp for my toddler, but whatever works, right!

jshet

I have so been there. My son has cf and autism. He loved his bottle, and would not drink from anything else. Like you weight gain was a huge concern. I received advise from everyone, docs kept saying just throw it away, he will drink from a cup then. Well, i did that. Throw the bottles away, and spent the entire day giving the cup. Nothing! He screamed, cried, banged his head, but would not drink. After 24 hrs. of this, and no fluids at all, i said too bad. If he wants the bottle, he can have it.
I decided that day to pick my battles. A 2 year old with a bottle, is not a big thing. He was not a big eater either, and milk was his main calorie source. I found that when i didn't make a big deal about the bottle, he was more relaxed, and ate real food more consistent, and better yet, was happy.
He gave the bottle up on his own at about age 4. But i can say that, with the frequent infections, that bottle a lot of times was getting in the only nutrition that he could take.
Good luck, they all grow and mature at their own pace.

lovemyboy507

Thank you all so much for your replies and I will check out that website/dietician. It's a real comfort to know there are others going through/ gone through the same thing.