My children weigh too much??? Is that possible?

B

brewz2

Thank you for everyones insight on this. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone there for a little while! I think I'm going to add the fat back to my daughter's diet so she can get back those four pounds she lost. For my son, idk, he's a boy and his dad is 6" and 185, but was a HUGE baby - I think I'm gonna chalk it up to genetics -

B

brewz2

Thank you for everyones insight on this. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone there for a little while! I think I'm going to add the fat back to my daughter's diet so she can get back those four pounds she lost. For my son, idk, he's a boy and his dad is 6" and 185, but was a HUGE baby - I think I'm gonna chalk it up to genetics -

B

brewz2

B

brewz2

B

brewz2

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We got this from the former CF gastro doctor we used to see locally. We've always struggled with his weight -- he came home from the hospital at 6 weeks weighing less than what he weighed when he was born. We struggle to keep him at 50th percentile and he gets cream, whole milk yogurt, add butter & oil and his doctor told us we shouldn't be doing that because he MIGHT get too fat. Figure we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it and told him that, too.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We got this from the former CF gastro doctor we used to see locally. We've always struggled with his weight -- he came home from the hospital at 6 weeks weighing less than what he weighed when he was born. We struggle to keep him at 50th percentile and he gets cream, whole milk yogurt, add butter & oil and his doctor told us we shouldn't be doing that because he MIGHT get too fat. Figure we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it and told him that, too.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

oldtimer1959

Yes it is possible to have a weight problem with CF. I have always been a normal size person until I hit 30 and then eposides of prednisone treatment helped me gain weight. Now I'm between 220 & 230 with a BMI of 35.5 - miminum transplant BMI @ Loyola in Chicago is 30. I"ve been struggling for a year and a half but have only lost 10 pounds. I'm of German descent and very large boned...at 170 I start to look to thin. The least I've weighted since my 30s was 135 and that was after my first 'real' bout with pancretitis - losing 50 pounds in 8 weeks. I looked terrible when that was over!

I don't eat all that badly in the greater picture, but do have a portion control problem. I eat a lot on the run and I know that's not good for me but I sledom like to come home after a day in the office and cook a whole meal for myself. My big meal is generally lunch and that's out - forget taking time in the mornings to fix my lunch, I'm doing treatments and trying to get out the door on time!

I still have some problems with pancretitis now and then. I don't take perscription enzymes - they seem to constipate me so I take something called DigestAll which has many of the enzymes in it, just not at as high levels.

Teach your kids HEALTHY, regularly-spaced eating and snacking habits, let nature take it's course and they'll hopefully do well. I do seem to get sick faster if I weigh less and that makes me afraid to lose weight to fast, which of course leads to loss of lung functions. For me, it's a horrible cycle - one that I can't seem to break very easily. The scary part is that I've been told I'd be passed over for a transplant even if it was the 'perfect' set of lungs and I wasn't down to their maximum weight..... Makes it even more stressful! Did I mention that I know I'm a stress eater? Working on trying to control that. And weight loss drugs haven't worked. My body likes this weight range so I guess it's futile to fight it.

oldtimer1959

Yes it is possible to have a weight problem with CF. I have always been a normal size person until I hit 30 and then eposides of prednisone treatment helped me gain weight. Now I'm between 220 & 230 with a BMI of 35.5 - miminum transplant BMI @ Loyola in Chicago is 30. I"ve been struggling for a year and a half but have only lost 10 pounds. I'm of German descent and very large boned...at 170 I start to look to thin. The least I've weighted since my 30s was 135 and that was after my first 'real' bout with pancretitis - losing 50 pounds in 8 weeks. I looked terrible when that was over!

I don't eat all that badly in the greater picture, but do have a portion control problem. I eat a lot on the run and I know that's not good for me but I sledom like to come home after a day in the office and cook a whole meal for myself. My big meal is generally lunch and that's out - forget taking time in the mornings to fix my lunch, I'm doing treatments and trying to get out the door on time!

I still have some problems with pancretitis now and then. I don't take perscription enzymes - they seem to constipate me so I take something called DigestAll which has many of the enzymes in it, just not at as high levels.

Teach your kids HEALTHY, regularly-spaced eating and snacking habits, let nature take it's course and they'll hopefully do well. I do seem to get sick faster if I weigh less and that makes me afraid to lose weight to fast, which of course leads to loss of lung functions. For me, it's a horrible cycle - one that I can't seem to break very easily. The scary part is that I've been told I'd be passed over for a transplant even if it was the 'perfect' set of lungs and I wasn't down to their maximum weight..... Makes it even more stressful! Did I mention that I know I'm a stress eater? Working on trying to control that. And weight loss drugs haven't worked. My body likes this weight range so I guess it's futile to fight it.

oldtimer1959

oldtimer1959

oldtimer1959

Quackie

When I was a little kiddo, they told my mom to let me pretty much eat what I want, and she did. And now I weigh just shy of 200lbs. Too much in my opinion. But now they tell me to loose weight, understandably. I guess it just depends on the person w/CF, and how it affects their body.

Quackie

When I was a little kiddo, they told my mom to let me pretty much eat what I want, and she did. And now I weigh just shy of 200lbs. Too much in my opinion. But now they tell me to loose weight, understandably. I guess it just depends on the person w/CF, and how it affects their body.

Quackie

Quackie

Quackie