My daughter Samantha

rpcvchina

This is a tough one. I have been teaching for 12 years and have 2 kids with CF. It's a hard situation as a teacher, because you can't just "be out." You have to spend several hours doing the work that you would have done if you were in. Then many more hours checking it. Or you show a movie, and it's a waste of everyone's time. I've sent lessons from many hospital rooms. I think it's best to meet or email the teacher and let her know to stay a distance when she is sick. There are so many issues about being out as a teacher, students going crazy, not finishing the curriculum, administration reprimanding a teacher for being out, etc. It's not a job where you can just be out and do the work the next day. It is not even a job where you can show up 10 minutes late. It is a job like no other in respect to the responsiblity and amount of work the teacher must do each day. Most people spend weeks preparing and consulting with others for an hour presentation or seminar. The teacher gets 28 minutes to prepare per class. I really think the best is to let the teacher know the health situation and stay away when sick. If she were my student, I would also wash her desk myself at the end of each day. Best wishes.

rpcvchina

This is a tough one. I have been teaching for 12 years and have 2 kids with CF. It's a hard situation as a teacher, because you can't just "be out." You have to spend several hours doing the work that you would have done if you were in. Then many more hours checking it. Or you show a movie, and it's a waste of everyone's time. I've sent lessons from many hospital rooms. I think it's best to meet or email the teacher and let her know to stay a distance when she is sick. There are so many issues about being out as a teacher, students going crazy, not finishing the curriculum, administration reprimanding a teacher for being out, etc. It's not a job where you can just be out and do the work the next day. It is not even a job where you can show up 10 minutes late. It is a job like no other in respect to the responsiblity and amount of work the teacher must do each day. Most people spend weeks preparing and consulting with others for an hour presentation or seminar. The teacher gets 28 minutes to prepare per class. I really think the best is to let the teacher know the health situation and stay away when sick. If she were my student, I would also wash her desk myself at the end of each day. Best wishes.

rpcvchina

sue35

Honestly, if I was the teacher (and I am a teacher but not your daughter's) I would be upset if you asked me for a doctor's note and I would tell you it is none of your business. If you made the decision to have your daughter schooled with others, then you have to be prepared for the consequences. It may be that she doesn't have strep and your daughter misunderstood. Either way, she doesn't have to prove it to you. If it isn't the teacher it will be another child who gets her sick. Teachers (as well as all others) will come to school sick because they have no other choice. Kids will come to school sick because their parents have no other choice. Basically, you can't expect everyone in the class to miss if they have any sort of cold just because your daughter has CF. What you could do is talk to the teacher and have her tell you when anyone is sick so you can keep your daughter home.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, it is just that this is a big problem for anyone with a job and limited sick days. I have learned that if I want to not be around sick people then I have to be the one to stay home, not the others.

sue35

Honestly, if I was the teacher (and I am a teacher but not your daughter's) I would be upset if you asked me for a doctor's note and I would tell you it is none of your business. If you made the decision to have your daughter schooled with others, then you have to be prepared for the consequences. It may be that she doesn't have strep and your daughter misunderstood. Either way, she doesn't have to prove it to you. If it isn't the teacher it will be another child who gets her sick. Teachers (as well as all others) will come to school sick because they have no other choice. Kids will come to school sick because their parents have no other choice. Basically, you can't expect everyone in the class to miss if they have any sort of cold just because your daughter has CF. What you could do is talk to the teacher and have her tell you when anyone is sick so you can keep your daughter home.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, it is just that this is a big problem for anyone with a job and limited sick days. I have learned that if I want to not be around sick people then I have to be the one to stay home, not the others.

sue35

<br />
<br />I am sorry if this sounds harsh, it is just that this is a big problem for anyone with a job and limited sick days. I have learned that if I want to not be around sick people then I have to be the one to stay home, not the others.

sue35

Also I don't think that anyone was accusing your daughter of lying. I teach 5th graders and I am amazed at what they tell their parents about me. It's not that they are lying, it is just that there are distractions in the room that make kids mishear things all the time. So maybe the teacher said she was tested for strep or something like that and the kids just heard strep. Could happen.

sue35

Also I don't think that anyone was accusing your daughter of lying. I teach 5th graders and I am amazed at what they tell their parents about me. It's not that they are lying, it is just that there are distractions in the room that make kids mishear things all the time. So maybe the teacher said she was tested for strep or something like that and the kids just heard strep. Could happen.

sue35

dragonlady

The teacher knew of my daughter's condtion and that of her 504 plan stating that any sick persons in the class should be moved or kept away from my daughter. The teacher coughed near her and was in her face according to my daughter.

When she was at school all better, I was at home doing my daughter's IV's and sitting at the kitchen table doing my work. Going back and fourth with my daughter to work, to turn in my work and take home more. Just so I could keep my job.

So yes I was pissed when the school nurse told me "they" being teacher's don't get enough sick time and can't stay home for every little thing. I can't either, nor do I have the sick time. The teacher's here in my county get more sick time a month then I do.

I think she was just a hateful teacher and didn't like my daughter. She allowed her to be bullyed by another student in class and didn't report it, because she was friends with the girls mother. She liked to point out errors my daughter made to the whole class. My daughter says she targeted a couple of other kids in the class and did yell at one other student. Her and another teacher from the same grade sat next to and near my daughter on a field trip and questioned why she missed so much school and was late so much. "Was it beacuse she was just lazy and didn't want to get up and go to school?" "just be honest" "you can tell us" "That's it right?, because you are lazy?"

I didn't question her for a doctor's note. I was just enraged with this teacher, after putting up with so much. I wanted her accountable for all the things she did and I want the school staff to follow the policies they have in place for the students.

dragonlady

The teacher knew of my daughter's condtion and that of her 504 plan stating that any sick persons in the class should be moved or kept away from my daughter. The teacher coughed near her and was in her face according to my daughter.

When she was at school all better, I was at home doing my daughter's IV's and sitting at the kitchen table doing my work. Going back and fourth with my daughter to work, to turn in my work and take home more. Just so I could keep my job.

So yes I was pissed when the school nurse told me "they" being teacher's don't get enough sick time and can't stay home for every little thing. I can't either, nor do I have the sick time. The teacher's here in my county get more sick time a month then I do.

I think she was just a hateful teacher and didn't like my daughter. She allowed her to be bullyed by another student in class and didn't report it, because she was friends with the girls mother. She liked to point out errors my daughter made to the whole class. My daughter says she targeted a couple of other kids in the class and did yell at one other student. Her and another teacher from the same grade sat next to and near my daughter on a field trip and questioned why she missed so much school and was late so much. "Was it beacuse she was just lazy and didn't want to get up and go to school?" "just be honest" "you can tell us" "That's it right?, because you are lazy?"

I didn't question her for a doctor's note. I was just enraged with this teacher, after putting up with so much. I wanted her accountable for all the things she did and I want the school staff to follow the policies they have in place for the students.

dragonlady

<br />
<br /> When she was at school all better, I was at home doing my daughter's IV's and sitting at the kitchen table doing my work. Going back and fourth with my daughter to work, to turn in my work and take home more. Just so I could keep my job.
<br />
<br />So yes I was pissed when the school nurse told me "they" being teacher's don't get enough sick time and can't stay home for every little thing. I can't either, nor do I have the sick time. The teacher's here in my county get more sick time a month then I do.
<br />
<br /> I think she was just a hateful teacher and didn't like my daughter. She allowed her to be bullyed by another student in class and didn't report it, because she was friends with the girls mother. She liked to point out errors my daughter made to the whole class. My daughter says she targeted a couple of other kids in the class and did yell at one other student. Her and another teacher from the same grade sat next to and near my daughter on a field trip and questioned why she missed so much school and was late so much. "Was it beacuse she was just lazy and didn't want to get up and go to school?" "just be honest" "you can tell us" "That's it right?, because you are lazy?"
<br />
<br />I didn't question her for a doctor's note. I was just enraged with this teacher, after putting up with so much. I wanted her accountable for all the things she did and I want the school staff to follow the policies they have in place for the students.

dragonlady

public school was not a decision, it was and still is my only choice as a single monther.

No money for private and no time for home school.

dragonlady

public school was not a decision, it was and still is my only choice as a single monther.

No money for private and no time for home school.

dragonlady

<br />
<br />No money for private and no time for home school.

krisgabes

I understand your frustrations with your daughter's teacher and school. I used to face the same issues when I was back in school. I'd get a lot of questions, not necessarily in front of the whole class but mostly in front of smaller groups of kids and the teacher would not step in, instead they would participate and want to know the answers too.

Eventually in high school I learned to tell people it's really none of their business. My worst experience though was when I had my first PICC placed in my arm in my senior year and the teacher questioned me about it openly while I handed in a quiz and the room was quiet so everyone heard. I just shook my head saying "nothing, I'm fine". I was out absent the following day. I found out the day I came back from a friend that the teacher went out of her way, asked the nurse what was going on with me and told the whole class I had CF and what it is. She later said the class thought I was getting special treatment and demanded to know why I was out so much, etc. She said she felt intimidated and told them. I was mortified! I reported her and nothing came of it. Apparently the principal didn't think it was a big deal, told me to shake it off.

So sorry to ramble, but rest assured I've had more supportive, understanding teachers in the past versus not. I'm sorry your daughter has to go through so much. I hope she feels better soon!

krisgabes

I understand your frustrations with your daughter's teacher and school. I used to face the same issues when I was back in school. I'd get a lot of questions, not necessarily in front of the whole class but mostly in front of smaller groups of kids and the teacher would not step in, instead they would participate and want to know the answers too.

Eventually in high school I learned to tell people it's really none of their business. My worst experience though was when I had my first PICC placed in my arm in my senior year and the teacher questioned me about it openly while I handed in a quiz and the room was quiet so everyone heard. I just shook my head saying "nothing, I'm fine". I was out absent the following day. I found out the day I came back from a friend that the teacher went out of her way, asked the nurse what was going on with me and told the whole class I had CF and what it is. She later said the class thought I was getting special treatment and demanded to know why I was out so much, etc. She said she felt intimidated and told them. I was mortified! I reported her and nothing came of it. Apparently the principal didn't think it was a big deal, told me to shake it off.

So sorry to ramble, but rest assured I've had more supportive, understanding teachers in the past versus not. I'm sorry your daughter has to go through so much. I hope she feels better soon!