My daughter Samantha

krisgabes

I understand your frustrations with your daughter's teacher and school. I used to face the same issues when I was back in school. I'd get a lot of questions, not necessarily in front of the whole class but mostly in front of smaller groups of kids and the teacher would not step in, instead they would participate and want to know the answers too.
<br />
<br />Eventually in high school I learned to tell people it's really none of their business. My worst experience though was when I had my first PICC placed in my arm in my senior year and the teacher questioned me about it openly while I handed in a quiz and the room was quiet so everyone heard. I just shook my head saying "nothing, I'm fine". I was out absent the following day. I found out the day I came back from a friend that the teacher went out of her way, asked the nurse what was going on with me and told the whole class I had CF and what it is. She later said the class thought I was getting special treatment and demanded to know why I was out so much, etc. She said she felt intimidated and told them. I was mortified! I reported her and nothing came of it. Apparently the principal didn't think it was a big deal, told me to shake it off.
<br />
<br />So sorry to ramble, but rest assured I've had more supportive, understanding teachers in the past versus not. I'm sorry your daughter has to go through so much. I hope she feels better soon!

ashmomo

Why was everyone so harsh to this mother's post?

I hope your daughter has more understanding teachers this year and is doing well! I would be completely pissed as well! You had a right to be! A sick teacher, strep or larygitis...doesn't matter, should not be near a CF student!

ashmomo

I hope your daughter has more understanding teachers this year and is doing well! I would be completely pissed as well! You had a right to be! A sick teacher, strep or larygitis...doesn't matter, should not be near a CF student!

ashmomo

<br />
<br />I hope your daughter has more understanding teachers this year and is doing well! I would be completely pissed as well! You had a right to be! A sick teacher, strep or larygitis...doesn't matter, should not be near a CF student!

Jimmya

That really irritates me to, kids get sent home for being sick and are not allowed to return with a fever. Sick days or not what gives a teacher the right to jeopardize the whole class by attending? Absolutely none! Especially if you know you have a special needs CF child in your class. If you have a 504 in place then the school is legally and morally responsible to adhere to it regardless if it is a child or teacher.

As far as asking for the teachers medical history or any information concerning their health would be a violation of HIPPA laws for the school or doctor to provide it to you! But don't get me wrong I'm on your side on this, I have fought with my sons school on several occasions over violations of the 504 plan as well as his civil right provided to him by the constitution and the Americans with Disabilities act! As far as SUE35's comment that you have to be prepared for the consequences, I'm absolutely appalled, it's one thing for kids to not think about endangering another child but it's another for the teacher! That statement really pissed me off! Especially from a teacher with CF! you would think she would be more understanding of the situation. I understand as a public servant you have limited days off, I was a police officer for nearly twenty years. But the teacher could have limited the danger to your daughter by advising the nursing staff that your child could be at risk of becoming ill and they should have sent her home for a few days! Not the ideal situation, but it's better than what happened!

Jimmya

That really irritates me to, kids get sent home for being sick and are not allowed to return with a fever. Sick days or not what gives a teacher the right to jeopardize the whole class by attending? Absolutely none! Especially if you know you have a special needs CF child in your class. If you have a 504 in place then the school is legally and morally responsible to adhere to it regardless if it is a child or teacher.

As far as asking for the teachers medical history or any information concerning their health would be a violation of HIPPA laws for the school or doctor to provide it to you! But don't get me wrong I'm on your side on this, I have fought with my sons school on several occasions over violations of the 504 plan as well as his civil right provided to him by the constitution and the Americans with Disabilities act! As far as SUE35's comment that you have to be prepared for the consequences, I'm absolutely appalled, it's one thing for kids to not think about endangering another child but it's another for the teacher! That statement really pissed me off! Especially from a teacher with CF! you would think she would be more understanding of the situation. I understand as a public servant you have limited days off, I was a police officer for nearly twenty years. But the teacher could have limited the danger to your daughter by advising the nursing staff that your child could be at risk of becoming ill and they should have sent her home for a few days! Not the ideal situation, but it's better than what happened!

Jimmya

<br />
<br />As far as asking for the teachers medical history or any information concerning their health would be a violation of HIPPA laws for the school or doctor to provide it to you! But don't get me wrong I'm on your side on this, I have fought with my sons school on several occasions over violations of the 504 plan as well as his civil right provided to him by the constitution and the Americans with Disabilities act! As far as SUE35's comment that you have to be prepared for the consequences, I'm absolutely appalled, it's one thing for kids to not think about endangering another child but it's another for the teacher! That statement really pissed me off! Especially from a teacher with CF! you would think she would be more understanding of the situation. I understand as a public servant you have limited days off, I was a police officer for nearly twenty years. But the teacher could have limited the danger to your daughter by advising the nursing staff that your child could be at risk of becoming ill and they should have sent her home for a few days! Not the ideal situation, but it's better than what happened!

regina65

Well from my experience people that don't know that much about CF don't really care about any of the consequences a person with CF has from catching a cold or etc from them. And they don't try and find out either. Even family do the same thing to me . Not my immediate family ,but step kids. It's really sad that people have no compassion.

regina65

Well from my experience people that don't know that much about CF don't really care about any of the consequences a person with CF has from catching a cold or etc from them. And they don't try and find out either. Even family do the same thing to me . Not my immediate family ,but step kids. It's really sad that people have no compassion.

regina65

mamaScarlett

Oh I can only imagine your frustration as a mom. I get it.<br>But speaking as a mom with Cf, your daughter (and you too) will have to learn that this is going to be part of her battle of life. Catching things, avoiding viruses, having to skip functions bc of viruses, etc...This will only continue as she gets older. When she goes to work, when her spouse is sick, her in laws, her own kids if she has them. <br>Unfortunately, this is life. Her immune system will likely strengthen as she grows. She'll become more savvy also, and learn to watch for sick people or sanitize her hands constantly. She learn to watch for the early signs of virus and being taking vit c or airborne, or start doing an extra chest pt. <br>Especially now that I have kids of my own I am such a germaphobe (lol)-because I can't afford to be out of comission! If I'm out of commission, they don't have mommy! If I catch something from a germed up grocery cart, well thats partly my fault and thats life. But if my brother in law (for example) kisses me and then opens his mouth to speak and has the flu-you bet I'm mad as heck!!<br>You'll come to terms with the fact that people don't mean bad. They just don't think.<br>

mamaScarlett

Oh I can only imagine your frustration as a mom. I get it.<br>But speaking as a mom with Cf, your daughter (and you too) will have to learn that this is going to be part of her battle of life. Catching things, avoiding viruses, having to skip functions bc of viruses, etc...This will only continue as she gets older. When she goes to work, when her spouse is sick, her in laws, her own kids if she has them. <br>Unfortunately, this is life. Her immune system will likely strengthen as she grows. She'll become more savvy also, and learn to watch for sick people or sanitize her hands constantly. She learn to watch for the early signs of virus and being taking vit c or airborne, or start doing an extra chest pt. <br>Especially now that I have kids of my own I am such a germaphobe (lol)-because I can't afford to be out of comission! If I'm out of commission, they don't have mommy! If I catch something from a germed up grocery cart, well thats partly my fault and thats life. But if my brother in law (for example) kisses me and then opens his mouth to speak and has the flu-you bet I'm mad as heck!!<br>You'll come to terms with the fact that people don't mean bad. They just don't think.<br>

mamaScarlett

dragonlady

What was nicely said about it?

I find it funny that a educated teacher can't follow a 504 plan. However my family and my daughter's friends and their family's can adhere to my rules about being sick and being allowed in my house. They always remember. All eight of my daughter's middle school teacher's remember when they are sick, to excuse her from class to study in the office or the media. Why? Because the 504 plan said so.

But I don't think I need to learn anything about it, I don't think you realize that when a mother and father are told what their child has, how many sleepless nights are spent researching CF. I have already accept this life and what choice does my daughter have to live this life. Im just a mother trying to protect her child, as Im sure you know all about that. Im truely sorry you have CF, I don't know if I will ever experience a CFers pain. But I understand a mother's pain. Im there at night, in the ER, at her bedside, in the surgical waiting room, giving her medication, at the clinic, at the school. I have been educated by doctor's, nurses, those living with the disease and other parents. My daughter and I have been dealing with this crap for 14 years and hopefully many more years. She is educated in her own disease and and by my constant nagging. My daughter knows all to well about cancelling events, trips, avoiding certain situations and washing her hands. It is the reason for the 504 plan, and it is the reason I expect it to be followed. If it can be avoided, why would I want it to interfere with living her life to fulliest and one less day sick.

Why does it seem that only the CFer's on this forum are the one's jumping on my back for this, really? What you didn't have a parent go to bat for you? Do everything in their power to make sure you made it safe, as healthy as can be, into adulthood?

dragonlady

What was nicely said about it?

I find it funny that a educated teacher can't follow a 504 plan. However my family and my daughter's friends and their family's can adhere to my rules about being sick and being allowed in my house. They always remember. All eight of my daughter's middle school teacher's remember when they are sick, to excuse her from class to study in the office or the media. Why? Because the 504 plan said so.

But I don't think I need to learn anything about it, I don't think you realize that when a mother and father are told what their child has, how many sleepless nights are spent researching CF. I have already accept this life and what choice does my daughter have to live this life. Im just a mother trying to protect her child, as Im sure you know all about that. Im truely sorry you have CF, I don't know if I will ever experience a CFers pain. But I understand a mother's pain. Im there at night, in the ER, at her bedside, in the surgical waiting room, giving her medication, at the clinic, at the school. I have been educated by doctor's, nurses, those living with the disease and other parents. My daughter and I have been dealing with this crap for 14 years and hopefully many more years. She is educated in her own disease and and by my constant nagging. My daughter knows all to well about cancelling events, trips, avoiding certain situations and washing her hands. It is the reason for the 504 plan, and it is the reason I expect it to be followed. If it can be avoided, why would I want it to interfere with living her life to fulliest and one less day sick.

Why does it seem that only the CFer's on this forum are the one's jumping on my back for this, really? What you didn't have a parent go to bat for you? Do everything in their power to make sure you made it safe, as healthy as can be, into adulthood?