My Neighbor's Second Hand Smoke

bmombtoo

We live in a town house that is semi-detached. My neighbors share a common wall with us and have been there for at least four years. Mr. D is a heavy smoker and has been since we've known him. He has some respiratory issues and his doctors and wife have tried to get him to quit. REFUSES!!!!!
Over the last couple of weeks I have been spelling cigarette smoke in the basement of my home. The smell is strongest along the common wall in both the front and rear of the basement. The stairs that lead to the basement are along this wall so it can't be avoided.

Josh spends a lot of time in the basement and when I asked him about the smoke he agreed that he also smells and that it has been going for a couple of weeks. Josh LIVES in the basement. He is fourteen now and his game systems are down there and it is the hang out for he and his friends (No, I don't think the gang is smoking). Josh sits closer to the opposite wall (the width between the two walls is about sixteen feet). This evening I put a Honeywell room air purifier down there and put it on high.

I'm not sure how to approach my neighbor or if I even have the right too? I don't know if he rearranged his club basement and his chair is closer to the wall or just what. It could be that so much smoke has built up that the air is stagnated. Both basements are paneled so the smoke is coming through concrete, whatever insulation the builder used and the paneling.

My fear is that this is going to become problematic, in fact I think it maybe already interfering with Josh health.....it certainly clogs my head and chest when I walk by.

ANY IDEAS?
We live in a town house that is semi-detached. My neigbors share a common wall with us and have been there for at least four years.

bmombtoo

We live in a town house that is semi-detached. My neighbors share a common wall with us and have been there for at least four years. Mr. D is a heavy smoker and has been since we've known him. He has some respiratory issues and his doctors and wife have tried to get him to quit. REFUSES!!!!!
Over the last couple of weeks I have been spelling cigarette smoke in the basement of my home. The smell is strongest along the common wall in both the front and rear of the basement. The stairs that lead to the basement are along this wall so it can't be avoided.

Josh spends a lot of time in the basement and when I asked him about the smoke he agreed that he also smells and that it has been going for a couple of weeks. Josh LIVES in the basement. He is fourteen now and his game systems are down there and it is the hang out for he and his friends (No, I don't think the gang is smoking). Josh sits closer to the opposite wall (the width between the two walls is about sixteen feet). This evening I put a Honeywell room air purifier down there and put it on high.

I'm not sure how to approach my neighbor or if I even have the right too? I don't know if he rearranged his club basement and his chair is closer to the wall or just what. It could be that so much smoke has built up that the air is stagnated. Both basements are paneled so the smoke is coming through concrete, whatever insulation the builder used and the paneling.

My fear is that this is going to become problematic, in fact I think it maybe already interfering with Josh health.....it certainly clogs my head and chest when I walk by.

ANY IDEAS?
We live in a town house that is semi-detached. My neigbors share a common wall with us and have been there for at least four years.

bmombtoo

ANY IDEAS?

bmombtoo

ANY IDEAS?

bmombtoo

ANY IDEAS?

katlynnsmom

hey, going on 2 *eeks here in hospital...the laptop they let us use has letters that don't *ork. so bare *ith me. You have the right as a mother,caretaker and homeo*er or renter....to say or do something about it.I *ould if it *as coming into my home.Go to them nicely and see if a change can be done about his smoking areas...let him understand your childs health issues...even though he could care less about his o*n.Make sure he understands the effects it has on your families life.If he doesnt *ant to *ork *ith you....and is an a** about it.Talk to your landlord...health dept...see *hat can be done about it legally..maybe the social *orker at the cf center..if you have one*ill have an idea.If they can pass a la* to ban smoking in public places..there should be something you can do about it coming into your o*n home...goodluck
Nora
mom of katlynn 9yr/cf

katlynnsmom

hey, going on 2 *eeks here in hospital...the laptop they let us use has letters that don't *ork. so bare *ith me. You have the right as a mother,caretaker and homeo*er or renter....to say or do something about it.I *ould if it *as coming into my home.Go to them nicely and see if a change can be done about his smoking areas...let him understand your childs health issues...even though he could care less about his o*n.Make sure he understands the effects it has on your families life.If he doesnt *ant to *ork *ith you....and is an a** about it.Talk to your landlord...health dept...see *hat can be done about it legally..maybe the social *orker at the cf center..if you have one*ill have an idea.If they can pass a la* to ban smoking in public places..there should be something you can do about it coming into your o*n home...goodluck
Nora
mom of katlynn 9yr/cf

katlynnsmom

Nora
mom of katlynn 9yr/cf

katlynnsmom

Nora
mom of katlynn 9yr/cf

katlynnsmom

<br />Nora
<br />mom of katlynn 9yr/cf

MargaritaChic

I agree with katlynnsmom.

Talk to the neighbors and see if he is willing to smoke in a different area. If not, talk to landlord or take legal action if necessary. The social worker at the CF clinic may be able to help you in terms of what you can/should do.

You have a right to be comfortable in your own home.

MargaritaChic

Talk to the neighbors and see if he is willing to smoke in a different area. If not, talk to landlord or take legal action if necessary. The social worker at the CF clinic may be able to help you in terms of what you can/should do.

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />Talk to the neighbors and see if he is willing to smoke in a different area. If not, talk to landlord or take legal action if necessary. The social worker at the CF clinic may be able to help you in terms of what you can/should do.
<br />
<br />You have a right to be comfortable in your own home.

Transplantmommy

We had this problem with the appartment that we rented in 1999. This was a house with 3 seperate apartments. One of the families were really noisy and heavy smokers. We asked them to smoke outside instead and they wouldn't because it was their living space. We asked the lanlord about it and he said that he couldn't do anything about it because it was that family's right to do what they wanted in their own apartment (- the noise....the landlord did ask them to quiet down). Anyway, long story short, we were the renters who had a problem with the smoke, we had to move if we didn't like it. We did move. We bought a mobile home and moved it to a trailer park close to my college. It was much better than the apartment. We no longer liver there either though. We got married, moved to a different area, and bought a house.

With my experience, I'm not so sure there is much you can do but to ask him to go somewhere else to smoke. It's his living space and unfortunately, you can't make him do something that he doen't want to do.

Transplantmommy

We had this problem with the appartment that we rented in 1999. This was a house with 3 seperate apartments. One of the families were really noisy and heavy smokers. We asked them to smoke outside instead and they wouldn't because it was their living space. We asked the lanlord about it and he said that he couldn't do anything about it because it was that family's right to do what they wanted in their own apartment (- the noise....the landlord did ask them to quiet down). Anyway, long story short, we were the renters who had a problem with the smoke, we had to move if we didn't like it. We did move. We bought a mobile home and moved it to a trailer park close to my college. It was much better than the apartment. We no longer liver there either though. We got married, moved to a different area, and bought a house.

With my experience, I'm not so sure there is much you can do but to ask him to go somewhere else to smoke. It's his living space and unfortunately, you can't make him do something that he doen't want to do.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />With my experience, I'm not so sure there is much you can do but to ask him to go somewhere else to smoke. It's his living space and unfortunately, you can't make him do something that he doen't want to do.