My son's father tells him he DOES NOT HAVE CF!

posoutlook

I would get tested in a minute if they wanted me to. I am still learning about all of this but from what I understand is that if my ex hasCF then I would not have to be a carrier. The request was for my ex to get a sweat test because they felt there is reason to believe he may also have CF based on his health and his past medical history. He has refused any testing and honestly that is his choice. My concerns have been that my son has been diagnosed and is being treated and for it (may I also add he is healthier now more than he has ever been since treatment) and he is 9 years old and should not have to be told by his doctors and mother he has it and by his father that he doesn't. It is very confusing to him.

posoutlook

I would get tested in a minute if they wanted me to. I am still learning about all of this but from what I understand is that if my ex hasCF then I would not have to be a carrier. The request was for my ex to get a sweat test because they felt there is reason to believe he may also have CF based on his health and his past medical history. He has refused any testing and honestly that is his choice. My concerns have been that my son has been diagnosed and is being treated and for it (may I also add he is healthier now more than he has ever been since treatment) and he is 9 years old and should not have to be told by his doctors and mother he has it and by his father that he doesn't. It is very confusing to him. <BR>

Printer

OK if hubby has CF, in order for son to have CF YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A CARRIER. If hubby has CF and you ARE NOT a carrier then son CANNOT HAVE CF but will be a carrier. If son has CF, at the least both you and hubby would have to be carriers.

Who is this "they" that you refer to, obviously they know nothing about CF.

Bill

Printer

OK if hubby has CF, in order for son to have CF YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A CARRIER. If hubby has CF and you ARE NOT a carrier then son CANNOT HAVE CF but will be a carrier. If son has CF, at the least both you and hubby would have to be carriers.

Who is this "they" that you refer to, obviously they know nothing about CF.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Who is this "they" that you refer to, obviously they know nothing about CF.
<br />
<br />Bill

albino15

This may be a silly question, but what do DS and DH stand for?
I agree with printer, if your son has CF you have to be a carrier. He had to get the other mutated CFTR from somewhere.

albino15

I agree with printer, if your son has CF you have to be a carrier. He had to get the other mutated CFTR from somewhere.

albino15

<br />I agree with printer, if your son has CF you have to be a carrier. He had to get the other mutated CFTR from somewhere.

zaj1139

I guess I was not clear: my daughter and Jaden's Daddy are both carriers.  If you tested and it came out that you do not have CF nor are you a carrier then your son could not have CF.  I understand that you are happy that the treament he is receiving is helping his symptoms but if they are overlooking something else to give a dx without the proper testing it does not make sense to me.  Here in GA they made a very big deal about both parents being carriers.  Jaden's brother (same parents) is not a carrier and does not have Cf.

zaj1139

I guess I was not clear: my daughter and Jaden's Daddy are both carriers. If you tested and it came out that you do not have CF nor are you a carrier then your son could not have CF. I understand that you are happy that the treament he is receiving is helping his symptoms but if they are overlooking something else to give a dx without the proper testing it does not make sense to me. Here in GA they made a very big deal about both parents being carriers. Jaden's brother (same parents) is not a carrier and does not have Cf.

zaj1139

I guess I was not clear: my daughter and Jaden's Daddy are both carriers. If you tested and it came out that you do not have CF nor are you a carrier then your son could not have CF. I understand that you are happy that the treament he is receiving is helping his symptoms but if they are overlooking something else to give a dx without the proper testing it does not make sense to me. Here in GA they made a very big deal about both parents being carriers. Jaden's brother (same parents) is not a carrier and does not have Cf.<BR>

Printer

There are 3 ranges of CF GENE SEQUENCING. There are almost 1600 possible mutations. My first test was for only 250 genes, later I had A FULL SEQUENCYING.

Son should start with a search of the 1600 mutations. A Full CF Sequencing. I would suggest that you have the same test at the same time.

It is not at all clear to me that son has CF. He may have only had a false positive sweat test.

Bill

Printer

There are 3 ranges of CF GENE SEQUENCING. There are almost 1600 possible mutations. My first test was for only 250 genes, later I had A FULL SEQUENCYING.

Son should start with a search of the 1600 mutations. A Full CF Sequencing. I would suggest that you have the same test at the same time.

It is not at all clear to me that son has CF. He may have only had a false positive sweat test.

Bill

Printer

<br />
<br />Son should start with a search of the 1600 mutations. A Full CF Sequencing. I would suggest that you have the same test at the same time.
<br />
<br />It is not at all clear to me that son has CF. He may have only had a false positive sweat test.
<br />
<br />Bill