Nasal Polyps and Diagnosis??

kitomd21

DD has been more congested this past week (nasal only). Not sneezing, no runny nose, not rubbing her eyes/ears/nose...but her breathing is much more audible. She definitely snores - more so lately, however. Am I being paranoid about nasal polyps at her age (2.5 yrs)? Are there more symptoms other than what I'm describing when nasal polyps are a concern?

Thanks.

kitomd21

DD has been more congested this past week (nasal only). Not sneezing, no runny nose, not rubbing her eyes/ears/nose...but her breathing is much more audible. She definitely snores - more so lately, however. Am I being paranoid about nasal polyps at her age (2.5 yrs)? Are there more symptoms other than what I'm describing when nasal polyps are a concern?

Thanks.

kitomd21

<br />
<br />Thanks.

ej0820

When I got nasal polyps (age 13), I vaguely remember having a stuffy nose that didn't really go away. I always had really bad sinuses growing up and attributed my nasal congestion to crappy sinuses until I noticed one day that there was an obstruction when I looked up my nose. My polyps got so bad that you could see them just when I tilted my head back. Before they got bad, they would move around in that, when I woke up in the morning I could sometimes breathe really clearly because I think they ended up shifting way back into my sinuses when I had my head down while sleeping. By the end of the day though, I couldn't breathe through my nose and they were visible again. I don't think I ever really snored - polyps or not.

I don't know about the symptoms your little one is having, but I was under the impression that polyps develop after years of sinus infections. Constant sinus infections cause inflammation and the inflammation causes scar tissue and polyp formation. With your little one only being 2.5 years, my first thought is that it's just the beginning of a sinus infection or head cold. Don't quote me on this though. I would maybe have the CF doc or even just the general pediatirician do a quick assessment by looking up the nose and if they notice anything out of the ordinary, they can then recommend an ENT who will have more instruments and resources to REALLY get a good look at things up there.

Best of luck to you both!

ej0820

When I got nasal polyps (age 13), I vaguely remember having a stuffy nose that didn't really go away. I always had really bad sinuses growing up and attributed my nasal congestion to crappy sinuses until I noticed one day that there was an obstruction when I looked up my nose. My polyps got so bad that you could see them just when I tilted my head back. Before they got bad, they would move around in that, when I woke up in the morning I could sometimes breathe really clearly because I think they ended up shifting way back into my sinuses when I had my head down while sleeping. By the end of the day though, I couldn't breathe through my nose and they were visible again. I don't think I ever really snored - polyps or not.

I don't know about the symptoms your little one is having, but I was under the impression that polyps develop after years of sinus infections. Constant sinus infections cause inflammation and the inflammation causes scar tissue and polyp formation. With your little one only being 2.5 years, my first thought is that it's just the beginning of a sinus infection or head cold. Don't quote me on this though. I would maybe have the CF doc or even just the general pediatirician do a quick assessment by looking up the nose and if they notice anything out of the ordinary, they can then recommend an ENT who will have more instruments and resources to REALLY get a good look at things up there.

Best of luck to you both!

ej0820

<br />
<br />I don't know about the symptoms your little one is having, but I was under the impression that polyps develop after years of sinus infections. Constant sinus infections cause inflammation and the inflammation causes scar tissue and polyp formation. With your little one only being 2.5 years, my first thought is that it's just the beginning of a sinus infection or head cold. Don't quote me on this though. I would maybe have the CF doc or even just the general pediatirician do a quick assessment by looking up the nose and if they notice anything out of the ordinary, they can then recommend an ENT who will have more instruments and resources to REALLY get a good look at things up there.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you both!

M

mneville

Aidan had horrible polyps and sinus infections at 1 year old! He is 6 now and is about to have his 9th sinus surgery. See an ENT!

M

mneville

Aidan had horrible polyps and sinus infections at 1 year old! He is 6 now and is about to have his 9th sinus surgery. See an ENT!

M

mneville

LouLou

I've never been to an ENT nor has it been recommended. I have no visible polyps with the nose scope thing in the regular doctors office. I reported in January that I developed a snoring habit. Doctor asked that I see an ENT. I chose to wait until April so that I could get in to one of the top 3 ENTs in the country who just happens to practice about 45 min away from me in New Haven. Eugenia Vining.

IMHO there is no reason a 2.5 yr old should be snoring. Get a referrel for an ENT who deals with lots of cfers and isn't quick to cut.

LouLou

I've never been to an ENT nor has it been recommended. I have no visible polyps with the nose scope thing in the regular doctors office. I reported in January that I developed a snoring habit. Doctor asked that I see an ENT. I chose to wait until April so that I could get in to one of the top 3 ENTs in the country who just happens to practice about 45 min away from me in New Haven. Eugenia Vining.

IMHO there is no reason a 2.5 yr old should be snoring. Get a referrel for an ENT who deals with lots of cfers and isn't quick to cut.

LouLou

<br />
<br />IMHO there is no reason a 2.5 yr old should be snoring. Get a referrel for an ENT who deals with lots of cfers and isn't quick to cut.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she on Tobi right now? DS gets congested and snores more the weeks he's on tobi. Also has more nasal discharge. So we do sinus rinses -- have been doing them since he was 4. One doctor thought he COULD have polyps, but when we realized the correlation between tobi, his cf doctor agreed that the tobi was probably inflaming his nasal tissues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she on Tobi right now? DS gets congested and snores more the weeks he's on tobi. Also has more nasal discharge. So we do sinus rinses -- have been doing them since he was 4. One doctor thought he COULD have polyps, but when we realized the correlation between tobi, his cf doctor agreed that the tobi was probably inflaming his nasal tissues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member