Nathan Admitted (Updated 8:50 pm)

pjspiegle

Hi Guys,

Ok, the run down is that his O2 levels did not go back up and actually went down a tad more and the O2 had to be increased. They really expected the O2 levels to go back up this morning and when they weren't up by this afternoon, they decided it was time to admit him. We will be doing all the standard admit stuff, blood work, x-ray, and possible CTs. Dr. Accurso had also left a note saying that if he didn't improve or got worse to admit him, so they did. Though, they do not seem to know what is going on yet, other than they suspect the mycobacterium abscessus.

Got to go, will update later again,

Update:
So since this is day 10 of the tune-up and no real improvments to speak of, the plan is to get a x-ray, monitor him through the rest of the weekend, and possibly change his IV's around.
His mood is improving and his heart rate is significantly lower than it was, it was running 110-140. This is when I wish I had a magic ball that could tell me what is going on and why. Why did his O2 levels decide to drop? I think my biggest fear, as always, is not getting any answers other than the standard, "duh he has CF", as if I didn't know that already.
I have no idea of how long we will be here or what the longer term plan is or will be. So for now, we will sit tight and try not to kill any of the residents or interns, but no promises on that.

I will update when I know more or if anything changes.

Update again,

They added a 3rd IV antibiotic! We have never done 3 different IV anti's at the same time. the one they added is Vancomyacin, I don't know much about it. I know they usually use it for MRSA, but he doesn't have MRSA. I will have to ask questions tomorrow when the attending comes by.

Again, thanks for all the support.

pjspiegle

Hi Guys,

Ok, the run down is that his O2 levels did not go back up and actually went down a tad more and the O2 had to be increased. They really expected the O2 levels to go back up this morning and when they weren't up by this afternoon, they decided it was time to admit him. We will be doing all the standard admit stuff, blood work, x-ray, and possible CTs. Dr. Accurso had also left a note saying that if he didn't improve or got worse to admit him, so they did. Though, they do not seem to know what is going on yet, other than they suspect the mycobacterium abscessus.

Update:
So since this is day 10 of the tune-up and no real improvments to speak of, the plan is to get a x-ray, monitor him through the rest of the weekend, and possibly change his IV's around.
His mood is improving and his heart rate is significantly lower than it was, it was running 110-140. This is when I wish I had a magic ball that could tell me what is going on and why. Why did his O2 levels decide to drop? I think my biggest fear, as always, is not getting any answers other than the standard, "duh he has CF", as if I didn't know that already.
I have no idea of how long we will be here or what the longer term plan is or will be. So for now, we will sit tight and try not to kill any of the residents or interns, but no promises on that.

Update again,

They added a 3rd IV antibiotic! We have never done 3 different IV anti's at the same time. the one they added is Vancomyacin, I don't know much about it. I know they usually use it for MRSA, but he doesn't have MRSA. I will have to ask questions tomorrow when the attending comes by.

pjspiegle

Hi Guys,

Update:

Update again,

pjspiegle

Hi Guys,

Update:

Update again,

pjspiegle

Hi Guys,
<br />
<br />Ok, the run down is that his O2 levels did not go back up and actually went down a tad more and the O2 had to be increased. They really expected the O2 levels to go back up this morning and when they weren't up by this afternoon, they decided it was time to admit him. We will be doing all the standard admit stuff, blood work, x-ray, and possible CTs. Dr. Accurso had also left a note saying that if he didn't improve or got worse to admit him, so they did. Though, they do not seem to know what is going on yet, other than they suspect the mycobacterium abscessus.
<br />
<br />Got to go, will update later again,
<br />
<br />Update:
<br />So since this is day 10 of the tune-up and no real improvments to speak of, the plan is to get a x-ray, monitor him through the rest of the weekend, and possibly change his IV's around.
<br />His mood is improving and his heart rate is significantly lower than it was, it was running 110-140. This is when I wish I had a magic ball that could tell me what is going on and why. Why did his O2 levels decide to drop? I think my biggest fear, as always, is not getting any answers other than the standard, "duh he has CF", as if I didn't know that already.
<br />I have no idea of how long we will be here or what the longer term plan is or will be. So for now, we will sit tight and try not to kill any of the residents or interns, but no promises on that.

<br />I will update when I know more or if anything changes.
<br />
<br />Update again,
<br />
<br />They added a 3rd IV antibiotic! We have never done 3 different IV anti's at the same time. the one they added is Vancomyacin, I don't know much about it. I know they usually use it for MRSA, but he doesn't have MRSA. I will have to ask questions tomorrow when the attending comes by.
<br />
<br />Again, thanks for all the support.

purplemartin

Nathan Admitted

Thinking of Nathan and your family......hope you guys get some answers soon!
<br />
<br />Best wishes,
<br />Sherry

A

Aspiemom

Nathan Admitted

Thanks for the update, Patty. I hope that Nathan gets good treatment and won't have to stay for long!

A

Aspiemom

Nathan Admitted

Thanks for the update, Patty. I hope that Nathan gets good treatment and won't have to stay for long!

A

Aspiemom

Nathan Admitted

A

Aspiemom

Nathan Admitted

A

Aspiemom

Nathan Admitted

C

Cherylwithone

Patty, I hope it will turn out to be a short stay. I don't think I could do 3 different IV Anti's at the same time. it is hard just doing two. And they never seem to be given at the same time. Last time Malora was on them they were spaced such that I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. I hope you guys don't get bored. 14 and in the hospital in the summer not a good thing.

Take care and will be thinking of you guys,

Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

C

Cherylwithone

Patty, I hope it will turn out to be a short stay. I don't think I could do 3 different IV Anti's at the same time. it is hard just doing two. And they never seem to be given at the same time. Last time Malora was on them they were spaced such that I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. I hope you guys don't get bored. 14 and in the hospital in the summer not a good thing.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />Take care and will be thinking of you guys,
<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf