Natural Alternative to Zantac?

ColbysMom

My son is 6 months old and has been put on Zantac only for the "absorbtion of enzymes." He never spits up. I personally do not like the long term effects of zantac and my Dr. has assured me that he needs to continue to take it. Does anyone know if there is a more natural supplement for the absorbtion of enzymes? Or do you know if Zantac is something they want the CF patients to be on there whole life?

I just feel the less drugs and side effects the better for him!

Thanks!

ColbysMom

My son is 6 months old and has been put on Zantac only for the "absorbtion of enzymes." He never spits up. I personally do not like the long term effects of zantac and my Dr. has assured me that he needs to continue to take it. Does anyone know if there is a more natural supplement for the absorbtion of enzymes? Or do you know if Zantac is something they want the CF patients to be on there whole life?

Thanks!

ColbysMom

Thanks!

ColbysMom

Thanks!

ColbysMom

<br />
<br />I just feel the less drugs and side effects the better for him!
<br />
<br />Thanks!

ehtansky21

Hi Colby's Mom,
I actually started the same thread a couple years back...type in zantac alternative in the advanced search and you should find it...
Ethan Sky is on Prevacid now, but we were able to use Apple Cider Vinegar for a long time to increase the efficacy of his enzymes.
Caleb is yet to be on an acid reducer and I am sure it is because we are using the Apple Cider Vinegar for him too.

Is Colby actually having issues gaining weight???
I have been helped greatly here in finding some alternatives that have worked wonderfully for my boys.

Please PM if you have any questions!!!

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Hi Colby's Mom,
I actually started the same thread a couple years back...type in zantac alternative in the advanced search and you should find it...
Ethan Sky is on Prevacid now, but we were able to use Apple Cider Vinegar for a long time to increase the efficacy of his enzymes.
Caleb is yet to be on an acid reducer and I am sure it is because we are using the Apple Cider Vinegar for him too.

I have been helped greatly here in finding some alternatives that have worked wonderfully for my boys.

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Hi Colby's Mom,

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Hi Colby's Mom,

Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

Hi Colby's Mom,
<br />I actually started the same thread a couple years back...type in zantac alternative in the advanced search and you should find it...
<br />Ethan Sky is on Prevacid now, but we were able to use Apple Cider Vinegar for a long time to increase the efficacy of his enzymes.
<br />Caleb is yet to be on an acid reducer and I am sure it is because we are using the Apple Cider Vinegar for him too.
<br />
<br />Is Colby actually having issues gaining weight???
<br />I have been helped greatly here in finding some alternatives that have worked wonderfully for my boys.
<br />
<br />Please PM if you have any questions!!!
<br />
<br />Blessings,
<br />Missa

MicheleGazelle

Zantac reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces. I have worked on reducing acidity primarily with diet. I was eventually able to get off enzymes. I now suspect that part of why I was able to get off enzymes is because of reducing acidity. My CF doctor told me that pancreacarb had sodium bicarbonate in it to counteract acidity because the acidity could destroy the enzymes before they had a chance to work. That's part of why I recently began thinking that getting my acidity under control is part of why I was able to get off enzymes. And I wonder if the excess acidity that people with CF are prone to is part of why they need enzymes to begin with -- that maybe the high acidity destroys what enzymes they do produce.

One study found that people with CF purge sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) at higher rates than normal. Bicarb is a natural antacid. One approach I have taken is to increase consumption of foods leavened with baking soda and decrease consumption of foods leavened with yeast. Sea salt also helps correct excess acidity and has become important to my diet. I have also found that it helps to skew my diet towards more alkaline foods, like apples, watermelon, corn, and lettuce. For a year or more, I had a big helping of lettuce 4 to 6 days a week. If I skipped it too many days in a row, my stomach would become a mess. I read somewhere that lettuce is the best food for making you more alkaline and that cucumbers and celery are also strongly alkaline foods. I don't tolerate cucumbers too well but I am fine with lettuce. So I did a lot of lettuce for a time.

HTH and good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Zantac reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces. I have worked on reducing acidity primarily with diet. I was eventually able to get off enzymes. I now suspect that part of why I was able to get off enzymes is because of reducing acidity. My CF doctor told me that pancreacarb had sodium bicarbonate in it to counteract acidity because the acidity could destroy the enzymes before they had a chance to work. That's part of why I recently began thinking that getting my acidity under control is part of why I was able to get off enzymes. And I wonder if the excess acidity that people with CF are prone to is part of why they need enzymes to begin with -- that maybe the high acidity destroys what enzymes they do produce.

One study found that people with CF purge sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) at higher rates than normal. Bicarb is a natural antacid. One approach I have taken is to increase consumption of foods leavened with baking soda and decrease consumption of foods leavened with yeast. Sea salt also helps correct excess acidity and has become important to my diet. I have also found that it helps to skew my diet towards more alkaline foods, like apples, watermelon, corn, and lettuce. For a year or more, I had a big helping of lettuce 4 to 6 days a week. If I skipped it too many days in a row, my stomach would become a mess. I read somewhere that lettuce is the best food for making you more alkaline and that cucumbers and celery are also strongly alkaline foods. I don't tolerate cucumbers too well but I am fine with lettuce. So I did a lot of lettuce for a time.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />One study found that people with CF purge sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) at higher rates than normal. Bicarb is a natural antacid. One approach I have taken is to increase consumption of foods leavened with baking soda and decrease consumption of foods leavened with yeast. Sea salt also helps correct excess acidity and has become important to my diet. I have also found that it helps to skew my diet towards more alkaline foods, like apples, watermelon, corn, and lettuce. For a year or more, I had a big helping of lettuce 4 to 6 days a week. If I skipped it too many days in a row, my stomach would become a mess. I read somewhere that lettuce is the best food for making you more alkaline and that cucumbers and celery are also strongly alkaline foods. I don't tolerate cucumbers too well but I am fine with lettuce. So I did a lot of lettuce for a time.
<br />
<br />HTH and good luck with this.

ColbysMom

Wow...thanks for the help guys!! I am really going to look into the Apple Cider Vinegar. How do you know the amounts to give them? And is it twice a day also?

My son is just 6 months old and weighs 16 pounds! He has NEVER had a problem gaining weight once he was started on enzymes at 3 weeks. So I would like to give him an alternate to zantac to help with the acid level!

I appreciate all your help!

Jessica

ColbysMom

Wow...thanks for the help guys!! I am really going to look into the Apple Cider Vinegar. How do you know the amounts to give them? And is it twice a day also?

My son is just 6 months old and weighs 16 pounds! He has NEVER had a problem gaining weight once he was started on enzymes at 3 weeks. So I would like to give him an alternate to zantac to help with the acid level!

Jessica

ColbysMom

Jessica

ColbysMom

Jessica

ColbysMom

<br />
<br />My son is just 6 months old and weighs 16 pounds! He has NEVER had a problem gaining weight once he was started on enzymes at 3 weeks. So I would like to give him an alternate to zantac to help with the acid level!
<br />
<br />I appreciate all your help!
<br />
<br />Jessica