Natural Alternative to Zantac?

ehtansky21

If he is gaining weight fine, then that would indicate that his enzymes are working great and he does not have an acidic tummy.
i think docs often just prescribe the same thing to everybody, no matter if they have symptoms or not.
i basically just started out with a very small amount to make sure the kids thought it was "edible" and then just worked my way up. Both boys get about 1 teaspoon 2 times a day. It is said to have so many health benefits besides acid reducer, so even if colby does not reallly have any acid issues, it won't hurt him.

MICHELLE...thanks so much for reminding me about the yeast vs baking soda thing....i have been looking for a good no yeast recipes because I know it is best...but I couldn't remember why..

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

If he is gaining weight fine, then that would indicate that his enzymes are working great and he does not have an acidic tummy.
i think docs often just prescribe the same thing to everybody, no matter if they have symptoms or not.
i basically just started out with a very small amount to make sure the kids thought it was "edible" and then just worked my way up. Both boys get about 1 teaspoon 2 times a day. It is said to have so many health benefits besides acid reducer, so even if colby does not reallly have any acid issues, it won't hurt him.

MICHELLE...thanks so much for reminding me about the yeast vs baking soda thing....i have been looking for a good no yeast recipes because I know it is best...but I couldn't remember why..

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

<br />i think docs often just prescribe the same thing to everybody, no matter if they have symptoms or not.
<br />i basically just started out with a very small amount to make sure the kids thought it was "edible" and then just worked my way up. Both boys get about 1 teaspoon 2 times a day. It is said to have so many health benefits besides acid reducer, so even if colby does not reallly have any acid issues, it won't hurt him.
<br />
<br />MICHELLE...thanks so much for reminding me about the yeast vs baking soda thing....i have been looking for a good no yeast recipes because I know it is best...but I couldn't remember why..
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />Missa

MicheleGazelle

Jessica,
With an infant, I might consider putting sea salt in the bath as an easy way to absorb it. I have done stuff like that with my own kids when they were older and it worked well. (We didn't have a diagnosis when my son was a baby.) I might also put baking soda in the bath sometimes and use it in the wash on his clothes. We use a lot of baking soda and diet tonic water for cleaning purposes around here. I use non-toxic cleaners and I know vinegar is a popular non-toxic cleaner but I don't use it for two reasons: I use a lot of peroxide and when you mix peroxide and vinegar, you get some toxic substance. And I have come to believe the alkaline cleaners we use help us to keep our acidity under control.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ehtansky21</b></i>

blessings,

Missa</end quote></div>
RE: Doctors. Some years ago, a friend of mine who happened to be a doctor once remarked that in today's malpractice-happy culture, there is a lot of pressure on doctors to do things they can defend in a court of law in case they are sued. So they sometimes err on the side of caution with patients in case it gets ugly rather than feeling empowered to do what they think is really optimum for the patient. He seemed to find it really frustrating. He was a very good doctor.

Also: Doctors prescribe drugs because it's what they know. Most mainstream doctors just aren't very knowledgeable about diet, natural remedies, etc. Even though study after study after study says diet and lifestyle play a major role in health outcomes, most doctors don't really go there. It's not what they are trained in and it's not what most of their patients want to hear. Their human. Even the most idealistic ones can get worn down after a while and just start writing prescriptions rather than trying to get people to exercise and eat better. I have never been to a naturopath but I have spoken to a couple of folks who did and were very happy to have a doctor who actively supported their use of diet and natural remedies instead of blowing it off like it was just a placebo effect.

And you're welcome for the reminder. I had to ask around for a recipe when we wanted to switch to yeast-free pizza dough. We don't make pizza at home very often but did make yeast-free pizza frequently for a few months. I also substituted all baking soda in a sugar cookie recipe that used both baking soda and baking powder. It turned out very well and has become something we make regularly.

MicheleGazelle

Jessica,
With an infant, I might consider putting sea salt in the bath as an easy way to absorb it. I have done stuff like that with my own kids when they were older and it worked well. (We didn't have a diagnosis when my son was a baby.) I might also put baking soda in the bath sometimes and use it in the wash on his clothes. We use a lot of baking soda and diet tonic water for cleaning purposes around here. I use non-toxic cleaners and I know vinegar is a popular non-toxic cleaner but I don't use it for two reasons: I use a lot of peroxide and when you mix peroxide and vinegar, you get some toxic substance. And I have come to believe the alkaline cleaners we use help us to keep our acidity under control.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ehtansky21</b></i>

blessings,

Missa</end quote></div>
RE: Doctors. Some years ago, a friend of mine who happened to be a doctor once remarked that in today's malpractice-happy culture, there is a lot of pressure on doctors to do things they can defend in a court of law in case they are sued. So they sometimes err on the side of caution with patients in case it gets ugly rather than feeling empowered to do what they think is really optimum for the patient. He seemed to find it really frustrating. He was a very good doctor.

Also: Doctors prescribe drugs because it's what they know. Most mainstream doctors just aren't very knowledgeable about diet, natural remedies, etc. Even though study after study after study says diet and lifestyle play a major role in health outcomes, most doctors don't really go there. It's not what they are trained in and it's not what most of their patients want to hear. Their human. Even the most idealistic ones can get worn down after a while and just start writing prescriptions rather than trying to get people to exercise and eat better. I have never been to a naturopath but I have spoken to a couple of folks who did and were very happy to have a doctor who actively supported their use of diet and natural remedies instead of blowing it off like it was just a placebo effect.

And you're welcome for the reminder. I had to ask around for a recipe when we wanted to switch to yeast-free pizza dough. We don't make pizza at home very often but did make yeast-free pizza frequently for a few months. I also substituted all baking soda in a sugar cookie recipe that used both baking soda and baking powder. It turned out very well and has become something we make regularly.

MicheleGazelle

Jessica,

blessings,

Missa</end quote></div>

MicheleGazelle

Jessica,

blessings,

Missa</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

Jessica,
<br />With an infant, I might consider putting sea salt in the bath as an easy way to absorb it. I have done stuff like that with my own kids when they were older and it worked well. (We didn't have a diagnosis when my son was a baby.) I might also put baking soda in the bath sometimes and use it in the wash on his clothes. We use a lot of baking soda and diet tonic water for cleaning purposes around here. I use non-toxic cleaners and I know vinegar is a popular non-toxic cleaner but I don't use it for two reasons: I use a lot of peroxide and when you mix peroxide and vinegar, you get some toxic substance. And I have come to believe the alkaline cleaners we use help us to keep our acidity under control.
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ehtansky21</b></i>
<br />
<br />
<br />i think docs often just prescribe the same thing to everybody, no matter if they have symptoms or not.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />MICHELLE...thanks so much for reminding me about the yeast vs baking soda thing....i have been looking for a good no yeast recipes because I know it is best...but I couldn't remember why..
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />
<br />Missa</end quote>
<br />RE: Doctors. Some years ago, a friend of mine who happened to be a doctor once remarked that in today's malpractice-happy culture, there is a lot of pressure on doctors to do things they can defend in a court of law in case they are sued. So they sometimes err on the side of caution with patients in case it gets ugly rather than feeling empowered to do what they think is really optimum for the patient. He seemed to find it really frustrating. He was a very good doctor.
<br />
<br />Also: Doctors prescribe drugs because it's what they know. Most mainstream doctors just aren't very knowledgeable about diet, natural remedies, etc. Even though study after study after study says diet and lifestyle play a major role in health outcomes, most doctors don't really go there. It's not what they are trained in and it's not what most of their patients want to hear. Their human. Even the most idealistic ones can get worn down after a while and just start writing prescriptions rather than trying to get people to exercise and eat better. I have never been to a naturopath but I have spoken to a couple of folks who did and were very happy to have a doctor who actively supported their use of diet and natural remedies instead of blowing it off like it was just a placebo effect.
<br />
<br />And you're welcome for the reminder. I had to ask around for a recipe when we wanted to switch to yeast-free pizza dough. We don't make pizza at home very often but did make yeast-free pizza frequently for a few months. I also substituted all baking soda in a sugar cookie recipe that used both baking soda and baking powder. It turned out very well and has become something we make regularly.