Nebulizer tubes popping off

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I just switched out neb cups and tubing -- we use reusable Pari LC's and the tube keeps popping off despite medicine still being in the cup. This usually only happens if the neb runs dry or there's a crimp. I use the pari tubing on our Invacare mobilare compressor because I've found the tubing that comes with the disposable nebs I use for travel don't stay on. I've lowered the PSI a smidge and I switched to a different pari tube after several occurrences right in a row of the tube popping off. And it seems to have done the trick for now.

Any suggestions. I know some people order specific brands of tubing. Pari has a newer VIOS pro which takes a different style tube. I even read somewhere that someone put the neb tubing in the freezer to shrink prior to use....

mmcpeck

I just switched out neb cups and tubing -- we use reusable Pari LC's and the tube keeps popping off despite medicine still being in the cup. This usually only happens if the neb runs dry or there's a crimp. I use the pari tubing on our Invacare mobilare compressor because I've found the tubing that comes with the disposable nebs I use for travel don't stay on. I've lowered the PSI a smidge and I switched to a different pari tube after several occurrences right in a row of the tube popping off. And it seems to have done the trick for now.

Any suggestions. I know some people order specific brands of tubing. Pari has a newer VIOS pro which takes a different style tube. I even read somewhere that someone put the neb tubing in the freezer to shrink prior to use....

I believe the Mobilaire 50 psig compressor requires a flowmeter attached to the 50 psig outlet in order to power a nebulizer. In the hospital, for example, the air and oxygen outlets mounted on the wall are kept at 50 psig. In order to use these gases, a flowmeter, calibrated for a 50 psig inlet pressure is required. Trying to reduce the pressure with a simple needle valve on the 50 psig outlet is tricky and doesn't allow precise control. An oxygen flowmeter would probably eliminate your problem.

Michael, RRT

scrapper1264

Are you talking about the tube popping off the compressor? We had that issue with the Mobilaire until I read about using a zip tie on the end of the tube attached to the compressor. It worked for us as well!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of a flowmeter attachment on a nebulizer/compressor before, though have seen them the oxygen outlets when DS has been hospitalized.

Yes, the tube pops off the compressor. Since I switched out tubes with a different set of wing tipped ones from the Pari LC packet, it hasn't happened as often. May have just had a bad tube. I've heard of duct tape. I did see Pari has a new Vios pro that supposedly has a much higher PSI and there are different wing tipped tubes for those. May look at ordering one of those.