Need Vitamin other than ADEKS and source CF soft gels

Paula

I need some suggestions on vitamins. My daughter use to take ADEKS liquid until she got tired of the taste. She does not like the chewables of ADEK. We then went to the CF source soft gels. These are no longer being manufactured and I cannot get anymore. We need ideas on vitamins without taking a lot of individual vitamins.

Any suggestions?

M

mgl

Our clinic prescribes Flintstones plus extra Vitamin E when the pharmacy is out of ADEK.

Liza

I did not know that ADEK made a gel. But other than that, there really isn't any other solution but adding individual vitamins. Depending on what her levels are, her dietitian should be able to work with you on that. Before Source CF came on the market, my girls refused to take the ADEK's after their dietitian insisted they HAD to be chewed, the dietitian allowed them to take two One a Day Women's. Now, my youngest (23) takes a Prenatal, Vit D, Vit A & Calcium. She chose this combination because of the amount of vitamins in the Prenatal and because the prenatal has beta-carotene, Vit A, instead of the other kind. Her dietitian preferred beta-carotene if she could find it so we searched in a few different brands and stores and decided to just check out the prenatals since we were checking out all the multi vitamins anyway. I hope you find just what your daughter needs.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We switched from SourceCF softgels to Aquadeks softgels earlier this year. I did get a sample of Vitamax; however, was VERY concerned with the amount of fat soluble vitamins. Vitamins ADEKS were severely lacking compared to the other CF vitamins. I prefer the softgels because ds had a tendency to suck on them and they'd discolor his teeth.

I use the vitamax chewable, cherry flavor. Yes they are not the same amount of the a,d,e,&k but that works better for me because my vit a levels went too high with the adeks. Also the adek gels upset my stomach and I would constantly burp up vitamins for hours so I didn't want to take them. The regular over the counter vitamins do not have a water soluable form of the fat soluable vitamins so even if the numbers are higher but you don't absorb them what's the point. So even if the vitamax is less a,d,e,&k but you actually take them and can absorb it that is better than nothing. Also based on the lab values the doctor can always suggest taking 2 a day instead of 1. The vitamax comes in cherry, grape, and orange.

Liza

Good thought cheerfulpuppies! I completely forgot to say that when my daughter's took the OTC vitamins, they were instructed to take enzymes with them because they were not specially formulated for absorption like the CF vitamins are.

hannahj1d

I used to take ADEK call me crazy but I loved the chewable and it's taste. My doctor's stopped prescribing that and switched to SourceCF but since that is not being made any more they put me on Aquadex, I don't know if this is the gel of ADEK or if it's a completely different brand but it's okay, but smells terrible. I also take vit A once a week, Vit E 400 i.u every day, and Vit D 2,000 i.u. 2x daily.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
http://mvwnutritionals.com

We get free vitamins through the Creon program. When they stopped making the Source CF they sent us the AquADEK's instead. We just received a shipment that has a new brand... Complete Formulation soft gels. I posted the link above. We have not started to use them yet so can't let you know what the smell/taste is like.

Epona

You can get adequate quantities of ADE&K from a diet full of organic vegetables, high-quality meats and fish, and animal fats. The supposedly CF-friendly vitamins are actually made of extremely low-quality vitamins and ingredients that have low rates of absorbability compared to real food, and contain inflammatory and toxic ingredients such as corn oil and sugar. Instead of taking low-quality supplements like AquaDEKs, I now make sure I eat a large amount of those foods that contain the important vitamins and minerals in the form that nature designed them to be absorbed: food.

Vitamin A&D: fermented codliver oil. Can be taken in capsules or poured over food. The codliver oil must be fermented if it is to contain readily-absorbable, naturally-occurring A&D. Some companies may label their codliver oil as containing A&D, but unless it's fermented and unprocessed, it does not contain the high-quality A&D that the compromised CF digestive system can easily absorb. Beta-carotene is a great antioxidant, but it does not count as vit.A because most people's bodies (especially CFers) cannot make the conversion from beta-carotene to animal-form vitamin A. Vit A must be gotten from animals. Another good source of vit A is grassfed butter (the cows have made the beta-carotene to vit.A conversion for us). Cholesterol is very important in our diets and we need adequate sunlight to convert cholesterol into vit.D. Make sure your child gets enough cholesterol through butter, fish, red meat, and animal fats. Also make sure your child gets outside in the sun A LOT! Also, don't believe the dietary-cholesterol-heart-disease myth, science has been disproving it for decades.

Vitamin E: organic, unrefined, unfiltered, extra-virgin olive oil. If your olive oil is missing any of the adjectives to the left, then it does not contain vitamin E, which is destroyed in filtering and processing. This can also be poured over food, but do not cook with it, as its high polyunsaturated oil content makes it prone to rancidity when exposed to heat, light, and air.

Vit. K: green leafy vegetables. LOTS AND LOTS OF THEM!!!! Our main source of vit. K-2 is our own gut bacteria. So make sure you are keeping your child's intestines full of healthy beneficial gut bacteria by eating plenty of fermented foods (real yogurt, saurkraut, etc.) and a probiotic supplement with a wide variety of strains.

If your child's diet is full of vegetables, low-sugar fruits, and high-quality animal products, then the other vitamins and minerals in the AquaDEKs should be covered. If overall digestion is improved through a good diet and maintaining a healthy gut flora, then nutrient absorption will improve. And of course, we always have to take foods high in fat-soluble vitamins (ADEK) with enzymes or else they will not be absorbed. This is true for AquaDEKs and SourceCF too.

For more info, you can check out my website: www.cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com

Hope this helps.

-Mikayla

T

tllandess

Aquadeks

I need some suggestions on vitamins. My daughter use to take ADEKS liquid until she got tired of the taste. She does not like the chewables of ADEK. We then went to the CF source soft gels. These are no longer being manufactured and I cannot get anymore. We need ideas on vitamins without taking a lot of individual vitamins.

Any suggestions?
Aquadeks are a softgel equivalent of ADEKs is what we have used for years. Surprised the Dr did not write for that.

cfhope

Try Libertas multi with ABDEK. I get them from CF services pharmacy, have different types drops, softgels, and bubblegum chewables. They also have a site where you can buy but does not seem to be working yet www.abdeks.com

Michelsu

New vitamin through Creon Careforward program or pharmacy.

http://mvwnutritionals.com

We get free vitamins through the Creon program. When they stopped making the Source CF they sent us the AquADEK's instead. We just received a shipment that has a new brand... Complete Formulation soft gels. I posted the link above. We have not started to use them yet so can't let you know what the smell/taste is like.

Below is some information about the MVW vitamins. Hope it is helpful.There is a new line of CF-specific vitamins for you to try. They are called MVW Complete Formulation. Go to the website to learn more about the products- MVWNutritionals.com.

Look at the vitamin comparison chart to compare the content to other products. The high vitamin D softgels are not yet on the comparison chart, below you will find a description of them. Read a description of each product at the website. Ask the RD at your center for a sample. Many centers throughout the US have samples. All of the products have been taste tested by healthcare professionals, parents and persons who have CF.

All of the products reflect the most current evidence for vitamins for persons who have CF.

The company has a liquid that is different from other liquids because it is made with MCT oil and the dose for a newborn is 0.5 ml. As an alert, it is “thicker” than what you might be used to, this is because it is oil-based. The oil keeps all of the vitamins and the zinc suspended so they don’t fall to the bottom of the bottle. Like all CF-specific vitamins they must be taken with enzymes. Read a full description at the company website.

The company has 2 Softgels and each contain the same amount fat and water soluble vitamins plus zinc, with the exception of vitamin D. The big difference between the regular softgel the Softgel 3000 is that the softgel 3000 has 6000IU vitamin D for 2 softgel.

There is one orange flavored chewable vitamin right now but a really great bubble gum flavored chewable will be available very soon.

Remember, all vitamins either OTC or CF-specific need to be taken with a fat-containing food and/or liquid and enzymes so that the fat-soluble vitamins can be absorbed.