Neilmed/sinus irrigation

kitomd21

DD started using the Neilmed flush two nights ago per the recommendation of her RT. She's such a trooper - she didn't fight it for more than a second or two. At any rate, her RT thought she would have a lot of drainage upon flushing and that I "would be surprised at how much gunk comes out". Well - nothing but clear mucus, if anything at all. What are your experiences? Does it take a while to loosen what may be in there and then I'll be able to visualize more mucus? Love to talk about snot!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS' nose never, ever runs, so the first time DS did it there was tons of yellow, thick nastiness came out of his nose and LOTS of it. Me and my mucus phobia, sent me gagging and dry heaving. More recently DS was so stuffed up to the extent that he couldn't breathe out of his left nostril, was mouth breathing, snoring... Turned out he had lots of inflammation in his nose. ENT prescribed a nasal steroid spray and he could finally breathe again.

kitomd21

I was thinking we'd see the same...wonder if it's yet to come! I'll gag for sure. I'm right there with you!

I bought some of that recently (easier then the neti-pot when I'm on the go.) It seems to help a bit ...post-nasal drip (which then lands in my chest) has always been a huge problem for me. I've been trying to use it after the morning clean-out rather as a primary method though. Thinking about getting a second bottle to try as a "gargle".

Searchingforanswers - Over 15 years in diagnostic limbo - its complicated - but when you constantly crave salt and have chronic congestion, and feel like resperatory bugs have you on speed_dial...

JENNYC

Abby has been doing them for a couple of years now and each time varies. Usually it is clear unless she is congested sounding and then look out cause it is going to be full of nasty yellow and green drainage. I have found that it helps to switch sides numerous times and let her blow in between. We switch side about 5 times during the one container, and that seems to loosen up the stuck gunk. I hope that helps :)

JennyCoulon

My oldest who is almost 13 did it for a while b/c he didn't like to blow his nose. Whenever he did it we only filled the bottle up about 1/2 way and it was always clear. I know this helped him to get it out but when he started blowing his nose he didn't want to do it anymore. I am okay that he doesn't want to b/c it goes down his throat and as long as he can keep from sniffling and sounding like his nose is full. I did throw the bottle away after I went thru the whole box of packets that came in the kit and got a new one. We will see how he does this fall and winter.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We're not there yet, but with the sinus rinses, etc. Are they sterile? We're so freak by all the "recall" things we read with b-cepacia, etc.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We make our own sterile water -- boil it, then cool it, add the salt packet. It's not premixed

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Thanks!! Can you use hyper-sal/or purchase "sterile salt water"? Soooo many little things just add up during the day as you know.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
You can purchase sterile water...I looked into this once, called a couple pharmacists...You need a prescription for it. I think one liter cost 15 dollars or something ridiculous. But if you are worried about minerals in your water or sterility, you could give your pharmacy a call and ask...My husband actually has access to an autoclave...We sterilized some water in mason jars once at his work....Don't think I'ld go that route again..Guess you could always sterilize distilled water, too

kitomd21

We use the boiled water from DD's neb parts...I wouldn't use saline as the salt packets (which are medical grade and sterile) alter the solution so that it's the ideal pH. Ideal pH (close to physiological pH, that is) takes away the stinging sensation. It might not make that much of a difference, but boiled water is cheaper! :)