New Bacteria For Me

tara

I just got the results of my most recent sputum culture taken about 10 days ago. I had no PA, which is weird, but I had a new (for me) gram negative bacteria called Aeromonas salmonicida. Has anyone cultured this before? This is the first time myself and my doctor have seen this one. I did a quick google, and it's devastating to some fish populations. But here's a news flash, I'm not a fish!

Not only did I have moderate growth of Aeromonas salmonicida it was resistant to all the antibiotics they tested it against:

Ceftizoxime
Ciprofloxacin
Levofloxacin
Piperacillin/Tazobac
Trimethoprim/Sulfa
Amoxacillin/Clavulan
Cefepime

Thoughts? Anyone culture this before?

tara

I just got the results of my most recent sputum culture taken about 10 days ago. I had no PA, which is weird, but I had a new (for me) gram negative bacteria called Aeromonas salmonicida. Has anyone cultured this before? This is the first time myself and my doctor have seen this one. I did a quick google, and it's devastating to some fish populations. But here's a news flash, I'm not a fish!

Not only did I have moderate growth of Aeromonas salmonicida it was resistant to all the antibiotics they tested it against:

Ceftizoxime
Ciprofloxacin
Levofloxacin
Piperacillin/Tazobac
Trimethoprim/Sulfa
Amoxacillin/Clavulan
Cefepime

tara

Ceftizoxime
Ciprofloxacin
Levofloxacin
Piperacillin/Tazobac
Trimethoprim/Sulfa
Amoxacillin/Clavulan
Cefepime

tara

Ceftizoxime
Ciprofloxacin
Levofloxacin
Piperacillin/Tazobac
Trimethoprim/Sulfa
Amoxacillin/Clavulan
Cefepime

tara

Ceftizoxime
Ciprofloxacin
Levofloxacin
Piperacillin/Tazobac
Trimethoprim/Sulfa
Amoxacillin/Clavulan
Cefepime

mom2lillian

Tara-never heard of it. I would be interested in looking up characteristics of that compared to PA to see if it is possible the mis-identified it. Also, was your culture done by same lab? I had trouble with my culture being subcontracted out by one lab to another and got weirdo results.

mom2lillian

Tara-never heard of it. I would be interested in looking up characteristics of that compared to PA to see if it is possible the mis-identified it. Also, was your culture done by same lab? I had trouble with my culture being subcontracted out by one lab to another and got weirdo results.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

tara

Nicole,

Interesting thought about the misidentification. It is a gram negative bacteria, same as PA. And in the past my PA has been fairly resistant to many antibiotics. Maybe you're right! I'm thinking about sending off another culture in a couple weeks just for kicks. I'm feeling great right now, so there's really no need except to satisfy my curiosity.

tara

Nicole,

Interesting thought about the misidentification. It is a gram negative bacteria, same as PA. And in the past my PA has been fairly resistant to many antibiotics. Maybe you're right! I'm thinking about sending off another culture in a couple weeks just for kicks. I'm feeling great right now, so there's really no need except to satisfy my curiosity.

tara

Nicole,

tara

Nicole,

tara

Nicole,