new for me

This is a new thing for me and I'm hoping someone else has either had this happen or can shed some light on what it might be?

I started with a sinus infection that has gone into my lungs (as usual) but it was all very, very sudden (which is unusual but I believe is due to a stomach bug). My throat was really sore last Thursday when I caught it and started my antibiotics. Of course, my throat is much worse today; I can barely talk. My coughs have decreased since starting my antibiotics, but when I do cough, it sounds really wet but sometimes takes me a few tries to get anything to come up. When it does, it seems like its more spit/bubbly than mucus and it's very watery. The color is clear and pale yellow. I would say maybe it's coming from deeper but I still have some difficulty breathing and feel like something is always sitting on top of me.

Does anyone else experience this? I never have. I would add that I very recently started incorporating water in my diet and am trying to eliminate carbonated beverages.

Suggestions? Ideas? Thank you!

kenna2

I'm not sure about the cough and tight chest...could be just part of the bug you have. I have had a couple of sick times where I was coughing so hard I lost my voice. It did come back. In the meantime, try and drink some tea and honey or hot chocolate. Something to sooth your throat. Even a throat spray helps from time to time. It also gives you a bit of a break from the cough.

The increase in water intake is a great thing to do. My suggestion to make it easier is to add flavoring to your water, like crystal lite or something like that. My dietitian recommended that and really that's all I drink anymore. It also helps curb your sugar cravings which helps if your diabetic. I've noticed it has made a huge difference to getting things out of my lungs. The increase in water could be helping to move some of the mucus out too.

Hope you get better soon!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Is it possible that your sore throat drainage is the source of the clear/bubbly/thin mucus? Something on the flip side would be aspiration of stomach acid. I don't have CF lungs and what comes from nebulizing or coughing, is one or the other sources of what comes up. The irritation from stomach acid is likely to produce a thin liquid over thick mucus typical of infection.

Just a thought.

LL

stylecomfy

Hi sunshine39656, hope you're feeling better. No real advice, just wanted to say yes, I've had the weird thin watery mucus, usually at the start of getting sick when at what feels like a 'virus stage' with fever, sore throat etc. I increase my treatments to try keep coughing it out and not just draining deeper. After a few days it either gets better (back to normal), or it gets worse if it turns into an exacerbation/infection type flare up. The only other time I've had the bubbly feeling was when I started on Pulmozyme, which makes sense as the point of Pulmozyme is to thin the mucus.

Anyway good luck