new job

robert321

I started my new job (its walmart but its also just a part time job while in college) a week ago. Tomorrow is my clinic appointment, and the doc is not going to be happy. My pfts were down the last time I was in and he reluctantly let me go then I doubt he's going to let me go again. I really am due for a good cleanout.
What is there if anything to keep me from getting the boot for no sooner than they finish training me I have to get 2 weeks off with no notice? Yeah they have a several hundred dollars invested into my training by the time they pay me, the person training, my drug test, background check, etc. but will that be enough to keep them from running me out and bringing in the next guy. Everyone knows that applicants aren't in short supply these days.
There's also the issue of missing classes, but I already have stuff in place with the school to keep the profs from dropping/failing me for missing, I just have to get the work done.

robert321

I started my new job (its walmart but its also just a part time job while in college) a week ago. Tomorrow is my clinic appointment, and the doc is not going to be happy. My pfts were down the last time I was in and he reluctantly let me go then I doubt he's going to let me go again. I really am due for a good cleanout.
What is there if anything to keep me from getting the boot for no sooner than they finish training me I have to get 2 weeks off with no notice? Yeah they have a several hundred dollars invested into my training by the time they pay me, the person training, my drug test, background check, etc. but will that be enough to keep them from running me out and bringing in the next guy. Everyone knows that applicants aren't in short supply these days.
There's also the issue of missing classes, but I already have stuff in place with the school to keep the profs from dropping/failing me for missing, I just have to get the work done.

robert321

<br />What is there if anything to keep me from getting the boot for no sooner than they finish training me I have to get 2 weeks off with no notice? Yeah they have a several hundred dollars invested into my training by the time they pay me, the person training, my drug test, background check, etc. but will that be enough to keep them from running me out and bringing in the next guy. Everyone knows that applicants aren't in short supply these days.
<br />There's also the issue of missing classes, but I already have stuff in place with the school to keep the profs from dropping/failing me for missing, I just have to get the work done.

rubyroselee

Hi,

I would just be honest with them. Speak to the supervisor/manager who you have been working closely with and just explain the situation. If you have proven that you are a dedicated, reliable, and hard worker, you will hopefully not have a problem.

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi,

I would just be honest with them. Speak to the supervisor/manager who you have been working closely with and just explain the situation. If you have proven that you are a dedicated, reliable, and hard worker, you will hopefully not have a problem.

Good luck!

rubyroselee

Hi,
<br />
<br />I would just be honest with them. Speak to the supervisor/manager who you have been working closely with and just explain the situation. If you have proven that you are a dedicated, reliable, and hard worker, you will hopefully not have a problem.
<br />
<br />Good luck!

robert321

Just got back from the clinic and they are going to lock me up, so I'm packing now. Walmart told me to come in and get a form for the doctor to fill out and fax back and I should be ok. My department manager (first level of management) really likes me and because of my previous job specifically picked me out so I shouldn't have any trouble with her. The thing I'm worried about is there's a zone manager, shift manager, assistant managers, then the store manager and probably a couple more that I don't know anything about.
I was talking to another employee at work last night who told me that in general if you jump through all thier hoops and do thier paperwork its pretty hard to get fired from Walmart. You just have to watch all the store policies. I'll go in later today and get it started, the sooner started the sooner I get out, but it'll probably be late enough when I get back down there today that I'll have to have a periphral iv tonight and get a picc tomorrow

robert321

Just got back from the clinic and they are going to lock me up, so I'm packing now. Walmart told me to come in and get a form for the doctor to fill out and fax back and I should be ok. My department manager (first level of management) really likes me and because of my previous job specifically picked me out so I shouldn't have any trouble with her. The thing I'm worried about is there's a zone manager, shift manager, assistant managers, then the store manager and probably a couple more that I don't know anything about.
I was talking to another employee at work last night who told me that in general if you jump through all thier hoops and do thier paperwork its pretty hard to get fired from Walmart. You just have to watch all the store policies. I'll go in later today and get it started, the sooner started the sooner I get out, but it'll probably be late enough when I get back down there today that I'll have to have a periphral iv tonight and get a picc tomorrow

robert321

<br />I was talking to another employee at work last night who told me that in general if you jump through all thier hoops and do thier paperwork its pretty hard to get fired from Walmart. You just have to watch all the store policies. I'll go in later today and get it started, the sooner started the sooner I get out, but it'll probably be late enough when I get back down there today that I'll have to have a periphral iv tonight and get a picc tomorrow

julie

I would assume that since you are having your doc fill out this form, that you are disclosing your "disability"? If so, I would recommend you include a statement that requests a "reasonable accomodation" of the following:

If you have utilized all vacation/sick days and need to take time off for doctor ordered hospitalization and/or treatment, you request non-paid time off from your job for the duration of your treatment.

This way, your asking for a reasonable accomodation (which I have yet to see an employer with half a mind deny- that's grounds for a HUGE lawsuit as an ADA violation), you have notified them of your disability and the worse that comes from it is that if you've exhausted all your sick/vaca time, you just simply get no pay.

julie

I would assume that since you are having your doc fill out this form, that you are disclosing your "disability"? If so, I would recommend you include a statement that requests a "reasonable accomodation" of the following:

If you have utilized all vacation/sick days and need to take time off for doctor ordered hospitalization and/or treatment, you request non-paid time off from your job for the duration of your treatment.

This way, your asking for a reasonable accomodation (which I have yet to see an employer with half a mind deny- that's grounds for a HUGE lawsuit as an ADA violation), you have notified them of your disability and the worse that comes from it is that if you've exhausted all your sick/vaca time, you just simply get no pay.

julie

<br />
<br />If you have utilized all vacation/sick days and need to take time off for doctor ordered hospitalization and/or treatment, you request non-paid time off from your job for the duration of your treatment.
<br />
<br />This way, your asking for a reasonable accomodation (which I have yet to see an employer with half a mind deny- that's grounds for a HUGE lawsuit as an ADA violation), you have notified them of your disability and the worse that comes from it is that if you've exhausted all your sick/vaca time, you just simply get no pay.