New series has cf girl in it!!

megan420

EVERYONE!!! The new series THE BATES HOTEL, based off ofthe movie Psycho! Never seen the movie but my boyfriend has and we startedwatching the Bates Hotel and in the second episode, just played, SPOILLERALERT: we just found out she had CF!! We were both floored and thru our arms inthe air bc the episode b4 shows the girl wearing an O2 portable and he said tome; 'what is she had CF babe, how cool would that be?' I obviously said 'veryvery very coooooooool!' She explains it shortly in the 2nd eppy but I can’twait to see how the rest of the show pans out. Must watch this new seriesppl!!!

TV HISTORY IN THE MAKING HERE PEOPLE!!!

H

hammerpocket

Cool! I had never heard of this new show, probably because I don't get A&E. However, it looks like you can watch full episodes on the website. BTW, it's called "Bates Motel," rather than hotel.

triples15

Super Moderator
Wow, very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

This is kinda weird because I normally don't watch this type of show (scary) but the other night it came on after something else we were watching so I actually caught a couple minutes of it, but wasn't really listening. I noticed a girl with oxygen on but didn't think much about it. Any time CF is in the media it helps raise awareness so that is great. Hopefully it will portray at least a somewhat accurate portrayal of CF.

Autumn 32 w/CF

nocode

I have watched the 1st 2 episodes that are out and I think it's not too bad. However, I was wondering if it is realistic for a person with cf to be on oxygen 24/7 and still go to school (high school) like everybody else? Wouldn't she be at home, mostly, because it is probably extremely difficult to keep up with high school, or work life when you're in this stage?
I genuinely do not know, what do you think?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I have watched the 1st 2 episodes that are out and I think it's not too bad. However, I was wondering if it is realistic for a person with cf to be on oxygen 24/7 and still go to school (high school) like everybody else? Wouldn't she be at home, mostly, because it is probably extremely difficult to keep up with high school, or work life when you're in this stage?

I've heard of the show before. Haven't watched it. I watch so many other things on T.V.... Anyway, I agree! That would be using up SOO much portable oxygen. I was thinking the same thing Vera. I remember I had no energy in high school when I was waiting for a transplant. I was home schooled.

piggylu

I also watched the first 2 episodes and i will continue watching. I think the part i questioned was when they were running thru the woods and she was wearing her portable 02 and they had to duck and hide for a moment and she never coughed at all from running but is on oxygen. Lol!!!! ;)
I found that a little comical!!!

nocode

On the other hand, at least this show is not portraying cf sufferers as people who look terribly sick and who are on the verge of dying at any moment, like I have heard of before! This girl looks kind of healthy and positive, and she's not in the hospital waiting for death. Yay! Makes us look more human. (Which of course we are not, we are aliens from space, but we'll keep that a secret).

piggylu

I agree!!! We "seem" more human and normal so that's a positive!!! And.... I like that she explains what CF is and the show actually is informative for folks who dont know.

R

RytheStunner

A lot of people still go to school and work with oxygen.

nocode

Ah OK I was not aware. I thought that once you were on oxygen 24/7 you wouldn't have the energy to keep up with a busy lifestyle. That is probably the case, but I'm guessing some people prefer to try and live a "normal" lifestyle as much as possible. I admire that.

lilmac1177

i also watch "Bates Motel" ... i was hoping she wasn't going to be in just the premier episode, but so far she seems to be a supporting character!

triples15

Super Moderator
Hmmmmmm....... Very interesting indeed Craige! How ironic if it is pure coincidence!

Have you seen the movie Foreverland? I remember hearing about it but I guess I missed when it came out.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting that tidbit!

Take Care,

Autumn 32 w/CF

Craige Leeder

I saw it when it was in my city a little while ago. Pretty decent film in-and-of itself. The director of the movie actually has Cystic Fibrosis himself, so most of the information is spot on. I took issue with a few parts of the movie, but overall it's definitely a movie for CFers to watch. If you don't mind watching a non-HD version in ~10 minute segments, you can actually find the full movie on YouTube starting here. It should hold you over until it comes out on DVD. It's been a pretty long release cycle because the director is touring with the movie across Canadian cities to raise awareness.

And thanks for the warm welcome!