new to group... just saying HI!

K

Keepercjr

Tina

Welcome! I'm Caroline and I'm pregnant with my second baby, due next summer. My son will be 3 in Feb. You should have NO problem having a vaginal delivery at all. I would run from any doctor that says because you have CF and CFRD that you need a C-section or an induction. A c-section recovery is my worst nightmare due to having to cough w/ that incision. I had an vaginal birth (though was induced) with my son and I am going to have a homebirth with a midwife for this next baby. I think if you ask the ladies here who have had vaginal deliveries you will find that the coughing didn't interfere with it at all. I know it didn't for mine. I had my inhaler at my bedside in the hospital but never needed to use it.

I second the hypertonic saline comment - I LOVE that stuff. What concentration did you use? Did you do albuterol (either inhaler or neb) beforehand?

You may very well be feeling the baby move. I first felt my son at 16 weeks - but only on the outside with my hand. It was another week or so before I felt him on the inside. I really can't wait to feel this baby. I loved that part.

K

Keepercjr

Tina

Welcome! I'm Caroline and I'm pregnant with my second baby, due next summer. My son will be 3 in Feb. You should have NO problem having a vaginal delivery at all. I would run from any doctor that says because you have CF and CFRD that you need a C-section or an induction. A c-section recovery is my worst nightmare due to having to cough w/ that incision. I had an vaginal birth (though was induced) with my son and I am going to have a homebirth with a midwife for this next baby. I think if you ask the ladies here who have had vaginal deliveries you will find that the coughing didn't interfere with it at all. I know it didn't for mine. I had my inhaler at my bedside in the hospital but never needed to use it.

I second the hypertonic saline comment - I LOVE that stuff. What concentration did you use? Did you do albuterol (either inhaler or neb) beforehand?

You may very well be feeling the baby move. I first felt my son at 16 weeks - but only on the outside with my hand. It was another week or so before I felt him on the inside. I really can't wait to feel this baby. I loved that part.

K

Keepercjr

Tina

K

Keepercjr

Tina

K

Keepercjr

Tina

Scarlett81

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Keepercjr</b></i>

Tina

You should have NO problem having a vaginal delivery at all. I would run from any doctor that says because you have CF and CFRD that you need a C-section or an induction.

.</end quote></div>

AMEN!!! There is no reason why breathing-with an fev1 as high as yours girl, should cause a problem during delivery or pushing.
C Sections should be avoided at all costs for cfers-1, b/c the possiblity of anesthesia can be very hard on the respiratory system, and 2, b/c recovery is very hard-and doing chest pt/coughing is extremely painful for weeks/months after a c section.

I don't say this to scare u, bc if a c sec is needed as an emergency, everything will be fine. They are done every day. But PLEASE don't be discouraged from vaginal delivery. It is the best for your health-bc you have cf.

Its easy for us to get discouraged from have 'normal' births and pregnancies. But don't let anyone make you feel you can't do it. You CAN do it. People much 'sicker' than you/us do this every day. Don't be discouraged.

Scarlett81

Tina

You should have NO problem having a vaginal delivery at all. I would run from any doctor that says because you have CF and CFRD that you need a C-section or an induction.

.</end quote></div>

AMEN!!! There is no reason why breathing-with an fev1 as high as yours girl, should cause a problem during delivery or pushing.
C Sections should be avoided at all costs for cfers-1, b/c the possiblity of anesthesia can be very hard on the respiratory system, and 2, b/c recovery is very hard-and doing chest pt/coughing is extremely painful for weeks/months after a c section.

I don't say this to scare u, bc if a c sec is needed as an emergency, everything will be fine. They are done every day. But PLEASE don't be discouraged from vaginal delivery. It is the best for your health-bc you have cf.

Its easy for us to get discouraged from have 'normal' births and pregnancies. But don't let anyone make you feel you can't do it. You CAN do it. People much 'sicker' than you/us do this every day. Don't be discouraged.

Scarlett81

Tina

.</end quote></div>

Scarlett81

Tina

.</end quote>

Scarlett81

Tina

.</end quote>

hbollotte

hey tina. let me just tell you pushing during birth was way easier than a pft...lol. i gave birth to my daughter morgan 8 weeks ago and let me tell you it was a breeze. i thought i was going to cough the whole time and need oxygen. well i pushed for about 20 minutes and didn't cough one time.

i'm sure you will be fine. i admire caroline for doing a homebirth and going natural, but there is no way in hell i would ever go without an epidural.

also, i watched all of the baby stories and special delivery stories on the discovery channel. i'm still addicted, during morgan's morning feeding we watch the discovery channel.

so when is your due date? and where do you live?

hbollotte

hey tina. let me just tell you pushing during birth was way easier than a pft...lol. i gave birth to my daughter morgan 8 weeks ago and let me tell you it was a breeze. i thought i was going to cough the whole time and need oxygen. well i pushed for about 20 minutes and didn't cough one time.

i'm sure you will be fine. i admire caroline for doing a homebirth and going natural, but there is no way in hell i would ever go without an epidural.

also, i watched all of the baby stories and special delivery stories on the discovery channel. i'm still addicted, during morgan's morning feeding we watch the discovery channel.

hbollotte

hbollotte

hbollotte

K

Keepercjr

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hbollotte</b></i>
]

</end quote></div>

Haley

I really believe that "going natural" is all in the mindset. If you weren't fully prepared for handling the contractions with breathing exercises, massage, confidence, etc, then the pain that comes with the contractions can be very intense and unmanageable. I couldn't help but notice that you said your mom was in the room with you and was a nervous wreck.... that kind of energy can really effect you. I did great w/ Logan because I had a doula and confidence in my body. I didn't want an epidural and so I prepared myself for alternative ways to manage the contractions. I sat on a birth ball, my doula or DH massaged my back during every contraction due to the back labor, I changed positions a lot, walked around, etc. This time I'll be doing hypnobabies and I hope that it helps me during labor.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with getting an epidural if it helps you get through labor. Just know that epidurals are not without risk and one should be truly informed before consenting. You need to make a risk/benefit analysis when you consider interventions.

K

Keepercjr

]

</end quote></div>

Haley

I really believe that "going natural" is all in the mindset. If you weren't fully prepared for handling the contractions with breathing exercises, massage, confidence, etc, then the pain that comes with the contractions can be very intense and unmanageable. I couldn't help but notice that you said your mom was in the room with you and was a nervous wreck.... that kind of energy can really effect you. I did great w/ Logan because I had a doula and confidence in my body. I didn't want an epidural and so I prepared myself for alternative ways to manage the contractions. I sat on a birth ball, my doula or DH massaged my back during every contraction due to the back labor, I changed positions a lot, walked around, etc. This time I'll be doing hypnobabies and I hope that it helps me during labor.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with getting an epidural if it helps you get through labor. Just know that epidurals are not without risk and one should be truly informed before consenting. You need to make a risk/benefit analysis when you consider interventions.

K

Keepercjr

]

</end quote></div>

Haley

K

Keepercjr

]

</end quote>

Haley

K

Keepercjr

]

</end quote>

Haley